GA - James McCart & Tessa Zelek for starving 1yo twins, Lovejoy, 2007

:( Those poor babies. I hope they're able to overcome the abuse they've endured and grow up healthy and happy. In an eye for an eye scenario, the mother's sentence would only be fair if she too were starved. She'll eat just fine while incarcerated.

Asked and answered. Peace and love to the children in this case...

Yes, Yes, Yes. ANd a hearty Woo-hoo.
I was watching this one. I really hoped they'd nail her. These were the parents that were printing out forged prescriptions and then laying in bed high while their twins starved to death. When they would cry too hard, they just turned the baby monitor down.

I really wished the worst for this mother, I am glad she got it.

even though she got 70 years, the article said she could get out in 52 years. i'd say give her life with no parole!

It's encouraging to see the law work like it should. Hats off to this judge who called it as she saw it and rendered an appropriate sentence. Let's just hope she STAYS in jail for the full sentence and is not out in 15 years. These poor kids will have a struggle the rest of their lives due to the brain atrophy caused by the malnourishment. What I just never get in these cases is how families will not report and will cover up for them.. It is hard to wrap my brain around. This behavior is so aberrant and foreign to most of us...they should all be locked up.:furious:

I only hope there are a few big bullies in the cafeteria that take her lunch away daily. Let her get a taste of what those poor babies went through. I can't believe the father only got fifteen years. They should have served the same sentence.

From the article in the first post: "Zelek's mother, 53 year old Christiann Zelek, is charged with not seeking medical attention for the children and covering up the crime. Christiann Zelek faces trial in November."

All I can say, is Way to Go Clayton County Georgia!!!! Putting the message out there that you can't just stand back and watch harm come to children and then be excused for not doing anything! Kudos to Georgia LE and the Judge!

Salem

She should be glad the judge showed her more mercy than she showed her own children!
And her mother helped cover it up? Unbelievable!!

I don't know how I feel about this "strike a deal, get a lower sentence" thing. He saw it happening, did he not? He is responsible, too. I don't know the whole story, though. Maybe there is more to it?

Well, I can only hope that the twins grow to be big strapping boys, and that they hunt down the father in fifteen years and kick his butt.

Does anyone know if people can earn time off their sentence for good behavior in prison in Georgia?
I hope not! Or else I hope she behaves very, very badly in prison.

From the article in the first post: "Zelek's mother, 53 year old Christiann Zelek, is charged with not seeking medical attention for the children and covering up the crime. Christiann Zelek faces trial in November."

All I can say, is Way to Go Clayton County Georgia!!!! Putting the message out there that you can't just stand back and watch harm come to children and then be excused for not doing anything! Kudos to Georgia LE and the Judge!

Salem

That part made me feel ill. What the heck?!?! Nature gives us grandmas and grandpas as a safeguard when the moms and dads fail - as much as my mum loves me, nothing would save my azz from her fury if I was doing anything like this to her grandbaby.

If you can't trust grandma, who can you trust?

Does anyone know if people can earn time off their sentence for good behavior in prison in Georgia?
I hope not! Or else I hope she behaves very, very badly in prison.

I think the earliest she can get out is in 52 years-I believe that would be the minimum with good behavior, if she's a bad girl, she would do closer to 70 years.

Isnt it sad that a mother who ALMOST killed her babies got more time than many who actually succeeded?? Not that I am saying this woman shouldnt have gotten every single year she was sentenced to. It just makes you realize how screwy the justice system is.

Isnt it sad that a mother who ALMOST killed her babies got more time than many who actually succeeded?? Not that I am saying this woman shouldnt have gotten every single year she was sentenced to. It just makes you realize how screwy the justice system is.

I agree - the same with the woman who got - what was it? 90 years? - for cutting off her son's genitals. Of course, I do not dispute the sentences in either of these cases, but can someone explain to me how someone else who actually kills their child gets 18 months?

I'm glad she got a harsh sentence, but what about this: she was reported in 2007 because the then 13 mos. olds only weighed 9 lbs ! Another screw-up by CPS.

And how did her husband manage to cut a deal for only 15 yrs in prison for himself? Does this seem as if the Court might be a bit sexist? The article doesn't mention if they are separated or living together....

I'm glad she got a harsh sentence, but what about this: she was reported in 2007 because the then 13 mos. olds only weighed 9 lbs ! Another screw-up by CPS.

And how did her husband manage to cut a deal for only 15 yrs in prison for himself? Does this seem as if the Court might be a bit sexist? The article doesn't mention if they are separated or living together....

They were living together at the time. But their ill gotten drugs made them too sick to get up and take care of the babies.
I'm looking for my links on this one. I'll be back with them.

Topix discussion.
http://www.topix.com/forum/atlanta/TERU1POUIA0C13FVP/p57
Slideshow of the twins after they were saved. DISTURBING
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/17129270/detail.html
Tells of the pills and the methadone and the father admitting that they just laid in bed most days.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/21174585/detail.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G14-Classified
Back