1035 users online (216 members and 819 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    KOOL LOOK is offline ~~~Sin is the Cause of all Sorrow~~~For this Gal, "Love" is my Vengence

Internet Involvement in Haleigh's Case: Obsession?

http://jacksonville.com/news/florida...line_obsession

The disappearance of 5-year-old Haleigh Cummings eight months ago occurred about the time Ellen Johnson got Internet access at home in east Texas.
    "I didn't even have a computer in my house until just before this," she said.
    Now, the 46-year-old petroleum engineer has a Twitter account called haleighnewz dedicated to the case and at summer's end, was in Putnam County to help with a school supply drive for Haleigh's classmates. Johnson met Haleigh's mother, Crystal Sheffield, and grandmother Marie Griffis there. She spends hours sharing her thoughts online and probing for information about the ongoing investigation.
    It is as if the Internet has removed a wall. more at link above.....

Many sleuthers have been saying this for a while now. Interesting article, I think the reporter "Dana Treen" did a great job in this article interviewing several people on the subject.
    Last edited by KOOL LOOK; 10-20-2009 at 08:54 AM.

KOOL LOOK is offline ~~~Sin is the Cause of all Sorrow~~~For this Gal, "Love" is my Vengence
    Very interesting is Lt. Johnny Greenwood's statement made to this reporter on the subject of bloggers, anonymity etc.... we've been wondering about the laws and posting opinions, Greenwood mentions below....

Lt. Johnny Greenwood of the Putnam County Sheriff's Office said bloggers Harris and Watts check information and have not caused heartburn for investigators.
    "The only thing that is really discouraging is those bloggers who have bad information," he said.
    Some hide behind online anonymity, he said.
    "We don't know who they are. People take what these people say as gospel."
    The Internet can offer a measure of secrecy but is still within the reach of the law, said Rick Karcher, a torts law professor at Florida Coastal School of Law.
    Opinions are not illegal but the First Amendment does not protect against false, defamatory statements, he said.
    "It's from the perspective of the reader," he said. "Would they think it is true?"

BBM, good to know this about the laws and posting opinions on the net. I wasn't clear, or aware of precise laws. You will find further interviews from Haleigh's Grandmother, "Marie Griffis", Art Harris, Steph Watts, several internet twitter bloggers at link above, very interesting.
    Last edited by KOOL LOOK; 10-20-2009 at 08:52 AM.

This article is relevant to this thread, as the latest internet involvement causing DCF investigation into Ron's alledged Gun incident in the home claimed by Tim Miller. Read link....

http://www.thesky973.com/pages/5438311.php
    Haleigh Update: Rumors of Dad and His Guns Spark Investigation

TJ Hart

Based on claims in report from an internet site and information from web forums, sources close the Haleigh Cummings abduction case say an investigation was opened by DCF regarding claims Haleigh's father had talked about using a gun in a threating manner in the presence of his young son. more at link....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Volusi...44&topic=11539

Interesting tip/theory from an internet poster posted at Putnam County Sheriffs Office in September 2009. This gives us a glimpse to what all LE has to deal with. An internet poster watches a Nancy Grace show, due to the "evidence" presented, lol requests LE to go search from FL to MA.

Growing more sympathy for LE by the second. LE claims to have received over 4,000 tips to date.

Looks like some are getting their 15 minutes. JMO
    "I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong."~Leo Rosten

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” ~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie JMO View Post
    Looks like some are getting their 15 minutes. JMO
    Looks like people just trying to help find a little girl, Flossie. Just like you.

Quote Originally Posted by KOOL LOOK View Post

Interesting tip/theory from an internet poster posted at Putnam County Sheriffs Office in September 2009. This gives us a glimpse to what all LE has to deal with. An internet poster watches a Nancy Grace show, due to the "evidence" presented, lol requests LE to go search from FL to MA.

Growing more sympathy for LE by the second. LE claims to have received over 4,000 tips to date.

The only problem with that theory is that Timmy wasn't in MA at that time. He moved later.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

This quote is so fitting for this case. We all want Haleigh home; but LE is right that some of the statements lead them down a road to brick walls. It wastes time. People mean well, but unless you have real evidence, I think you should stick to blogging and not sending stuff to LE. As always JMO.

I guess I disagree on the good intentions, I don't believe that is the case for many of those injecting themselves into the case. JMO
    "I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong."~Leo Rosten

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” ~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by KOOL LOOK View Post

Wow, just wow. Timmy was living in Fl. when Haleigh was abducted, and if "Susan" had ANY knowledge of the case, she would have known that. I hope LE doesn't have to spend time on worthless "tips" like that one. Geesh.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there..."
    L. P. Hartley

Quote Originally Posted by debs View Post
    Looks like people just trying to help find a little girl, Flossie. Just like you.
    Making up crap is NOT helping find Haleigh. It is glaringly obvious by Susan's post that she did not do one ounce of checking before providing this "tip". That wastes time, manpower and funds for a wild goose chase.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there..."
    L. P. Hartley

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post

This quote is so fitting for this case. We all want Haleigh home; but LE is right that some of the statements lead them down a road to brick walls. It wastes time. People mean well, but unless you have real evidence, I think you should stick to blogging and not sending stuff to LE. As always JMO.
    IMHO I'm not thoroughly convinced LE wasn't sent off on some wild goose chases on purpose. Also, we have some excellent sleuthers that have come up with places that she may be but to my knowledge LE hasn't checked any of those places...JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    The only problem with that theory is that Timmy wasn't in MA at that time. He moved later.
    Hadn't thought of that, good point. I was amazed at her last sentence in which she uses caps like demanding LE go look because she said so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post

Bern, my heart jumped when I started reading your post. I agree vehemently, as you. There's a boundary, to what we as on line sleuthers who care should or shouln't do.

I guess I disagree on the good intentions, I don't believe that is the case for many of those injecting themselves into the case. JMO
    Agree. I've seen for myself, the latest being the DCF, Tim Miller and Ron debacle concerning the alledged gun incident in the home. It's crossed the line.

Quote Originally Posted by curvecuti View Post
    Wow, just wow. Timmy was living in Fl. when Haleigh was abducted, and if "Susan" had ANY knowledge of the case, she would have known that. I hope LE doesn't have to spend time on worthless "tips" like that one. Geesh.
    Hopefully LE weeds through those that are obviously "wrong". I've thought about actually making a post to Putnam county's public internet site to ask a question before, never did. But I wouldn't bother them with a theory based on watching Nancy's show. It's scary to me.

I'm actually now, concerned more if one of my children become missing, as to "What strangers could do to my family over the net". Been thinking about that aspect of Haleigh's case the last 2 weeks since I saw this DCF gun allegation take hold. Disturbing to me. If DCF showed up at my home to conduct an investigation due to someone on the internet, they better have the entire Sheriffs department in tow sitting in my yard with guns visible in order to get through my front door. I would contact a lawyer immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeralgem View Post
    IMHO I'm not thoroughly convinced LE wasn't sent off on some wild goose chases on purpose. Also, we have some excellent sleuthers that have come up with places that she may be but to my knowledge LE hasn't checked any of those places...JMO
    I agree I also believe there was a "false" search done in San Mateo with the search dog named "Gunny" and their handler where alledgedly planted evidence was found. I've looked all over the net to see what LE has to say about it, and can't find too much. That in itself, has me confused.

I think most of the people who have posted about Haleigh have good intentions. I think some have gotten carried away and gotten too involved injecting themselves into the case. I really think it is mostly with good intentions and really wanting to help in some way. This case really tears at our heart that this beautiful child has not been found, and nobody can figure out what happened to her. Someone knows. I just wish they would step up and tell what they know so there could be closure both for the family and for all of us strangers who really care.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast