609 users online (77 members and 532 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Canada - Mariam Makhniashvili, 17, Toronto, 14 Sept 2009 - #3

Continue here.
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-09-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"

Thanks Hoppy.

Link to Mariam's missing information on InterPol:

http://www.interpol.int/public/Data/...2009_33509.asp

Poster doesn't say she speaks Russian

Central Field Command truck is no longer on Roehampton, in front of 101 or 141.

I saw three police cars parked across the street from Northern Secondary, on Roehampton, but it can be for something else. Northern Secondary students had some issues with police in past couple of weeks, so it may be related to that.

So, I guess, with no visible police presence in the area where backpack was found, this is it, for now?

http://sunsetchaser07.blogspot.com/

Culture also affects communication by influencing the recipients' assumptions. Our minds try to twist incoming information to make it fit in our worldview. Since different cultures have very different worldviews, cross-cultural communication is especially likely to change meaning between sender and receiver, as the sender may have a very different worldview from the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    Are you referring to my post? No one has ever confirmed that Mariam spoke Russian. We really don't know. There was someone from Georgia who told us that most of Mariam's parents' generation do speak Russian, but that the younger generation is less likely to. And then, reading and writing it would be another thing entirely from being able to speak it. Unless I'm mistaken, the two languages use different scripts.

This would be another useful bit of information to have.
    Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. - William E. Gladstone

I went to Forest Hill Library to find out if anyone saw her there. I spoke with two employees there. QUOTE Outcast.
    Maybe the ones you should be talking to are the pages, the ones who do the shelving. I say that as someone who worked a couple of shifts in that capacity at that branch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    The description of her vitals has changed from 5'3" 140LB to 5'1" 118LB as well.
    Quis, quid, quando, ubi, cur, quem ad modum, quibus adminiculis
    (Who, what, when, where, why, in what way, by what means)

-Hermagoras of Temnos describing seven 'elements of circumstance'

Quote Originally Posted by jhulford View Post
    The description of her vitals has changed from 5'3" 140LB to 5'1" 118LB as well.
    I did not pay attention. Great job julford! I am just curious how it can be that they did not have the correct information to begin with?

Culture also affects communication by influencing the recipients' assumptions. Our minds try to twist incoming information to make it fit in our worldview. Since different cultures have very different worldviews, cross-cultural communication is especially likely to change meaning between sender and receiver, as the sender may have a very different worldview from the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by jhulford View Post
    What? Man, that's quite a bit of difference. Wouldn't her passport have this information on it? How could one of these be so wrong?

ETA: Where are you guys seeing this? IMO, having just looked at her most recent pics, she really doesn't look anywhere near 140 lbs.
    Last edited by antiquegirl; 10-21-2009 at 11:14 PM.
    Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. - William E. Gladstone

I'm concerned that the family is not out there, searching parks, ravines, etc. They should be a rallying point for a community effort, not leave everything to LE while they sit at home and "wait".

If indeed, they are out there every day looking for her, we have not heard about it.

Checking in on Mariam and see there is no new developments. Things are getting cold and no activity - but we can't give up on finding Mariam. Is there anything else we can do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I'm concerned that the family is not out there, searching parks, ravines, etc. They should be a rallying point for a community effort, not leave everything to LE while they sit at home and "wait".

If indeed, they are out there every day looking for her, we have not heard about it.
    Hm. Good question. I think that one of the parents said that all what they do is waiting...I am not sure what to think of their reaction, or lack of it, because you are right, they should be searching for her.

The whole thing is so weird, not only her disappearance but everything, including the reaction of her family.

Quote Originally Posted by elepher50 View Post
    Checking in on Mariam and see there is no new developments. Things are getting cold and no activity - but we can't give up on finding Mariam. Is there anything else we can do?
    Vigil? Unofficial "ground search" around Leslie Eglinton? Or some other
    "green" area that has many places to hide or not to be seen, that is close to place her backpack was found? There is Sherwood Park, not far away from Yonge Eglinton. Walk for Mariam?

Quote Originally Posted by BBleichert View Post
    Maybe the ones you should be talking to are the pages, the ones who do the shelving. I say that as someone who worked a couple of shifts in that capacity at that branch.
    Do you know anyone there personally to ask? I am afraid that me asking again, just out of blue, makes people a little bit uncomortable. I could not help but notice that. I do not know why, but people are reluctant to say that they know anything or even to talk about what happened??? I am really not sure why. Except for some general comments such as: how something like that could have happened?, I do not sense a lots of empathy and sympathy for Mariam...

Quote Originally Posted by outcast View Post
    I am afraid that me asking again, just out of blue, makes people a little bit uncomortable. I could not help but notice that. I do not know why, but people are reluctant to say that they know anything or even to talk about what happened??? I am really not sure why.

First outcast, thank you for all the efforts and information that you have contributed in the search for Mariam. You seem to be more of an investigative reporter than many of the "professional" media. You've provided those of us not from the area with some remarkable insight.

I can understand your concern regarding asking questions about this case. Let me see now - you've been asking questions at the library and hanging around FHCI. You and your accomplice, L-in-to, are probably already on several surveillance videos at the Roehampton location, trespassing, taking photos and video, and interviewing residents in the area!!!!!

You would perhaps be more comfortable if you were able to present yourself as a legitimate reporter. Start an online magazine, say "The Forest Hill Monthly", create a simple website (your ISP probably provides one for free), print up some business cards, and there you go. No more suspicious glances, no concern that Toronto's Finest will be hustling you down to 52 Division for questioning, and maybe people might also be more comfortable and forthcoming.

I have never tried this, but it seems to be a low/no-cost suggestion that would probably work for any of us. A Press Pass is rarely a bad thing. It might take a little bit of nerve to pull it off, but somehow I don't think that would be a problem for you.

Keep up the good work.

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast