AL AL - Kemberly Ramer, 17, Opp, 15 Aug 1997

dbuck

Reaction score
Her info is listed in the Missing Children in America section of the forum.

There are several inconsistencies in the story about her on different sites.

Some say she was seen at her father's home at 10pm;others say last seen leaving a friends home on the way to father's home.

Some indicate her car was left at father's house, others don't mention car.

None say who saw her at father's house.

Most say 10pm last time she was seen, but saw one report somewhere that says she disappeard between 12am and 4am.

Does anyone have info to clear up these inconsistencies?

I remember this case. But sadly no details. She has been missing a long time.

There are a lot of inconsistencies.
She was taken from a bedroom at her father's house.
vs She lived alone.
She was to start her senior year.
vs She was going to college, Univ of Alabama, majoring in physical therapy.
She was last seen at 10pm in her father's home.
vs
left friend's house 5 min. away from her house.

?

Exactly.

It makes it difficult to think about.

Did anyone actually see her at the father's house or leaving the friends house. If so, was her car at her father's house?

Making a composite of the stories, this is the timeline as I understand it.

She went to a softball game and stopped by her boyfriend's house afterward. She left there and went to her father's house where apparently she had a room or lived there. She was last seen there at around 10 pm on the evening of Friday, 8-15. She was reported missing 8-17.

The questions I have:

Did she have a vehicle was she traveling alone during the evening activities?

If she had a vehicle, was it recovered/found and where. (one report indicated it was left-if so was it at her father's house)

Who actually saw her at the father's house on Fri. evening and what state of mind was she in?

Why was she not reported missing until Sunday? (was this still in the time when someone had to be gone 24-48 hours?) I believe her parents were separated at the time, so maybe one thought with the other or with friends--seems like I read that somewhere. Still she seems like a responsible kid who would check in over that period of time.

It is possible to be double enrolled--some places you can actually take college credit or college courses while in high school with good grades, so that would be one explanation for that inconsistency in the reports.

Does anyone have factual information to fill in the blanks?

Thanks.

Kemberly has been missing 13 years today. Come home soon.

Making a composite of the stories, this is the timeline as I understand it.

She went to a softball game and stopped by her boyfriend's house afterward. She left there and went to her father's house where apparently she had a room or lived there. She was last seen there at around 10 pm on the evening of Friday, 8-15.

Does anyone have factual information to fill in the blanks?

Thanks.

Don't know how factual it is, but I am local and what I left in quotes is all I have ever heard in news reports. I do not know her or her family.

The Andalusia Star-News is currently running a series on Covington County's unsolved cases called "Somebody Knows Something." Today's story was about Kemberly Ramer:

The Star-News is bringing the spotlight back to Ramer’s disappearance, and other unsolved crimes, after the Covington County District Attorney’s Office revealed a 15-member cold case task force had been formed was in an active investigation.

http://www.andalusiastarnews.com/20...f-top-cold-cases-chief-believes-girl-is-dead/

KEMBERLY_RAMER_zps745902c6.jpg

According to Star-News’ archives, Kenneth Ramer said his daughter’s car arrived at their home at approximately midnight.

“We have no clue where she is,” Kenneth Ramer said in 1997. “It was around midnight when she got here. I’ve called everyone – friends, relatives, anybody who could have seen her or might know where she is – no one knows anything.”

<snip>

The case remains unsolved, despite, numerous tips, leads and searches over the years, including searching a lake, baptism hole, and sinkhole near Ponce de Leon, Fla., all of which yielded nothing.

http://www.andalusiastarnews.com/2012/08/16/opd-no-new-leads-in-ramer-case/

I saw this yesterday on Rickey Stokes News. I wondered if WCSO has some info or tips on the case as this county is two counties south , in the FL panhandle. Kem is from Covington County, AL.

I was trying to find a more exact location of where Kemberly was reportedly last seen (fathers house) if not an address at least the name of the street, none of the articles give that info for some reason. Her father has since passed away and her mother according to news articles lives in Fl. Anyone know what area of Opp she went missing from?

Also

I have known about this other disappearance for a while now but didn't realize it was less than two weeks prior to KR's. Its 40 miles or so south of Opp. 16 yo Kristy Rogers went missing on Aug 2 from Crestview Fl, If its a coincidence its an odd one.

Here's her page here on WS.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129462

I don't know what area of Opp she lived in. I'm familiar with Opp and in general can find my way around.

FWIW a main hwy to the panhandle of FL , hwy 331 goes right thru Opp.

Search for Opp teen missing since 1997 comes up empty

A daylong search left law enforcement empty handed Thursday as they followed up on a tip related to a more than 17-year-old cold case out of Covington County.

About three weeks ago, the Coffee County Sheriff&#8217;s Office received what Sheriff Dave Sutton described as a credible tip regarding the disappearance of 17-year-old Kem Ramer, of Opp.The tip led law enforcement to a dilapidated home alongside Coffee County Road 412 near its intersection with Highway 84, just inside Coffee County.

Coffee County District Attorney Tom Anderson said the tip came from a person &#8220;known to be associated with the suspect related to the disappearance of Ms. Ramer back in August of 1997.&#8221;

Anderson said the information was very specific, leading investigators to the dilapidated property and a manually dug well in the back of the property.

&#8220;Once they got that information we spoke with other law enforcement agencies, and everyone thought it was credible enough that it needed to be followed up on,&#8221; he said.

With the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, two cadaver dogs came to the site and positively alerted, indicating that the remains could possibly be in the area.

That&#8217;s when the Coffee County District Attorney&#8217;s Office, the sheriff&#8217;s office, Opp Police Department, Covington County Sheriff&#8217;s Office, FBI and state investigators, with the assistance of the Coffee County Highway Department, brought in an excavator and began to dig at the site of the former well.

Workers dug nearly 30 feet into the ground and sifted through each scoop of dirt that came out looking for any signs of the remains of Ramer, but around 4 p.m. officials called off the search and began filling the hole back in.

Cold Case Spotlight

What Happened to Kemberly Ramer?

Just across the Florida state line in Alabama, is a story that spans miles. It was the height of southern summer, August 16, 1997, when Kemberly Ramer, 17 at the time, vanished from her father's home in Opp, Alabama.

Nearly 20 years later, there is still no trace of Kemberly. In photos, Kemberly, or "Kem" as family and friends called her, exudes the feel of the quintessential All-American girl. She appears in her softball and cheerleading uniforms, a deep brunette with an innocent, smiling face.

For Kem's family, the years have been marked by moments of hope, followed by disappointment. "I don't know why anyone would want to hurt her," Sue Infinger told Dateline NBC. "I believe it was someone she knew."

Today, the case falls primarily under the jurisdiction of the FBI, but other departments surrounding Opp remain involved.

"Our role continues to be investigative -- following up on leads," Douglas Astralaga, Chief Division Counsel of the Mobile, Alabama FBI told Dateline NBC. "Our agents work very closely with every one of the departments and follow up on any leads that come to light. We will bring whatever resources are necessary to this investigation."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SweetDreamsAreMadeOfCheez
Back