PA PA - Michael McCool, 14, Philadelphia, 28 June 1978

Richard

Reaction score
Michael McCool
Missing since June 28, 1978 from Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: February 15, 1964
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0; 100 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: McCool has a scar near his right eye. Significant dimple in the point of his chin.

Circumstances of Disappearance

McCool was last seen on June 28, 1978 in his Kensington home. He left for work and never came home. He was last seen with two adult males.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning McCool's whereabouts, please contact:

Philadelphia Police Department
Missing Persons Unit
215-685-3257 or 215-685-3251
All information may be submitted anonymously.

NCMEC #: NCMC769480

NCIC Number: M-568145685

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Doe Network: Case File 140DMPA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/140dmpa.html

Is there any other information on him? Where he worked, who the two men were? I looked and couldn't find anything. I live near the neighborhood he disappeared in.

Anyone know where in Kensington he lived? Maybe it was Fishtown and not Kensington...

That kid was 14 years old. Why was he working? And it is not even legal in Pennsylvania to work at that age.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2550/22
Status Missing
First name Michael
Middle name
Last name McCool
Nickname/Alias
NCMEC number 769480
Date last seen June 28, 1978 00:00
Date entered 07/19/2009
Age last seen 14 to 14 years old
Age now 50 years old
Race White
Ethnicity Other
Sex Male
Height (inches) 50.0 to 54.0
Weight (pounds) 100.0 to 110.0

Dental Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available
DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

Michael has been missing for 36 years today.

I was about to suggest that maybe Joseph Kallinger could be responsible-but it looks like he was in jail by the time Michael disappeared.

I think you can work before the age of 16, but you have to have work papers to do so.

I think 14 may be too young to obtain working papers. Wait, I just checked and found that you COULD get working papers at 14, but you were limited in that at the age of 14 or 15, you couldn’t work in a factory.

Here's his Charley Project page: http://charleyproject.org/case/michael-mccool
Here's what little case info:
Michael left his family's residence on Albert Street in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on the morning of June 28, 1978 to head for his place of employment, Kensington Acme, where he worked bagging groceries. His older brother saw him briefly that afternoon.
Michael was last seen with two unidentified adult males. He never arrived home and has not been seen again. It is not known if the two men were connected to his disappearance. His case remains unsolved.

Michael McCool
  • michael_mccool_1.jpg
  • michael_mccool_2.jpg
Michael, circa 1978; Age-progression to 46 (circa 2010)

• Missing Since06/28/1978
  • Missing FromPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth02/15/1964 (55)
  • Age14 years old
  • Height and Weight5'0 - 5'4, 100 - 110 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Michael has a scar near his right eye. He has a dimple on his chin.
Details of Disappearance
Michael left his family's residence on Albert Street in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on the morning of June 28, 1978 to head for his place of employment, Kensington Acme, where he worked bagging groceries. His older brother saw him briefly that afternoon.

Michael was last seen with two unidentified adult males. He never arrived home and has not been seen again. It is not known if the two men were connected to his disappearance. His case remains unsolved.

I think 14 may be too young to obtain working papers. Wait, I just checked and found that you COULD get working papers at 14, but you were limited in that at the age of 14 or 15, you couldn’t work in a factory.
lots of young teens worked under the table, paid in cash. I did, and really as far as i can recall none of us had working papers.

Anyone know where in Kensington he lived? Maybe it was Fishtown and not Kensington...

More Harrowgate.

Yes, he worked. Lots of kids did back then.

There's theories about those two guys. Possibly arcade owners. A place kids would want to gather.

BTW his family is still all pretty much alive. Still living with this.

I was about to suggest that maybe Joseph Kallinger could be responsible-but it looks like he was in jail by the time Michael disappeared.

That is correct. Neither one of those men were Kallinger anyway.

I know people who grew up with both the Kallinger's and McCool family. Mike's brother would have recognized Kallinger.

Michael is one of the people that just stays in the back of my head, we are close in age, lived not too far away. I have no recollection of seeing any news stories, not much to go on now, limited info. I check in every so often, hoping someday for something. I wish his family peace and hopefully some answers in the coming year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back