Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura_Bean

Reaction score
Cops searching for missing Fla. girl find a body
By RON WORD, AP
36 minutes ago

Loading... Share No Thanks Must Read?Thank YouYes 627
This undated photo released by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement sho...
Email Story
Discuss
Print
Digg
Del…
Plaxo

ORANGE PARK, Fla. — Authorities searching for a missing 7-year-old north Florida girl said they found the body of a young child in a Georgia landfill Wednesday, but it has not yet been identified.

Clay County, Fla., Sheriff Rick Beseler first said the body was a female, but then corrected himself and said he couldn't yet confirm the gender. The parents of Somer Thompson, who has been missing since Monday, have been notified.

The body was found by Clay County detectives who followed garbage trucks from the girl's neighborhood to Folkston, Ga., just north of the Florida state line.

Beseler said investigators searched through 100 tons of garbage before finding the partially covered body. He did not give any other details about the discovery.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation was helping with the investigation and planned to conduct an autopsy on the body Thursday in its Savannah office, spokesman John Bankhead said.

"We all need to say a prayer for Somer's family," Florida Gov. Charlie Crist said at a press conference announcing the discovery.

Somer vanished on her mile-long walk home from school Monday in Orange Park. She was squabbling with another child, and her sister told her to stop. The girl got upset, walked ahead of the group and wasn't seen again.

Orange Park is a suburb of Jacksonville just south of Jacksonville Naval Air Station. The area where the girl disappeared is a heavily populated residential area with homes, apartment complexes and condominiums.

Investigators said before the body was discovered they suspected foul play in her disappearance.

"We want to find who did this and bring them to justice," the sheriff said.

Earlier Wednesday, the girl's parents made emotional pleas for their daughter to be returned home safely.

"Somer, you're not in trouble — if you're scared, just come home," Diena Thompson said on NBC's "Today" show Wednesday. "And if somebody has her, please, please bring her back to us. She belongs with her family."

Father Sam Thompson, who lives in Graham, N.C., also pleaded for her safe return.

"Somer, your daddy Sam loves you unconditionally. Stay strong and don't give up the fight or the hope that we're going to be a family again. I love you," he said.

**** Could this be Haleigh Cummings and not Somer?

Worse yet what if it is neither!!!!!:(

This is just breaking my heart...........Im praying so hard for whatever little angel it is & that a family somewhere will have answers,albeit painful ones.

Wonder why he "couldn't yet confirm the gender." ????

Regardless of who it is, this is someone's child.

Haleigh would not even be identifiable as a body by now-

Can't "thank" your post - ya know?

But it's true. After 8 months... :cry:

The garbage where the body was found came from Orange Park. I think it's just a matter of "confirmation" now. Poor Somer. :(

if she was taken alive and held for a while, and than killed. That was what I was aiming at. Yes, it could very likely be Somer. But the other is a possibility too.

this is all very sad
Another Florida girl

What are the odds? One right after the other like that?

first caylee, than Haleigh, than Somer?

http://www.examiner.com/x-23328-Tru...1-Somer-Thompson-a-vanishing-in-autumns-chill

"Although the remains have not been formally identified as those of Somer Renee Thompson, Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler announced this afternoon that the recovery was that of a "white child."

When reached today by Times-Union reporters, Somer's father, Samuel Thompson, said police called him in North Carolina around 4:30 pm to relate that a body had been recovered--from one of two landfills where Orange Park, FL trash is taken."

It makes sense that it is Somer, mores the pity. I did spend some time looking at landfills between Satsuma and GA and pondering however....I wonder if LE did any digging as well?

I cannot decide if the people/person who likely disposed of Haleigh would be clever enough to dump her in someone's garbage however unless it was industrial or construction disposal.

I think the governor of Florida needs to call a special meeting with all LE in the state. They need a statewide task force to deal with these missing children. It is just so sad that there are so many missing children and women. What the he77 is going on???

All of these poor kids and their parents..it breaks my heart.
Your kids aren't safe walking anywhere...period...and sex offenders need to be sent upstream for life with even ONE conviction on record..

All of these poor kids and their parents..it breaks my heart.
Your kids aren't safe walking anywhere...period...and sex offenders need to be sent upstream for life with even ONE conviction on record..

ITA. If you are convicted of a predatory sex offense it should be mandatory life imprisonment. The End.

I think the governor of Florida needs to call a special meeting with all LE in the state. They need a statewide task force to deal with these missing children. It is just so sad that there are so many missing children and women. What the he77 is going on???

Hi travelgal, I 100% agree with you and the governor of Florida needs to do something about the ratio of sex offenders in the state of Florida vs. any other state. They all seem to migrate there because of the sex offender laws are much more lax than any other state!!! JMO of course!! This has been non-stop in Florida for years and years and it is about time they do something about it for the SWEET LITTLE BABIES!!! Again, JMHO!! Ann:twocents::twocents::furious::sick::banghead:

I would doubt it because location is simply too convenient, but it was a really interesting thought. Stranger things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82