Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC~Misty Carter 21 found Oct 19th roadside on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Hybrid View

NC~Misty Carter 21 found Oct 19th roadside on the Blue Ridge Parkway

http://www.wlos.com/shared/newsroom/...vid_1084.shtml
    *snipped*
    "A murder victim's mother and sister say they don't know why anyone would kill their loved one and her unborn baby. Crystal Branson says she heard from her sister, Misty Carter last around 11 Sunday night after spending the weekend together. Crystal says Misty had just found out she was going to have a baby.

She said, "Everything was coming together, she had her boyfriend back, she found out she was pregnant, she got a car, everything in her life was turning around and somebody stole it from her."

Crystal called the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office Monday night after hearing a description of the victim found on the Blue Ridge Parkway on the news. She was able to identify her sister by her blue fingernails and tatoo."

(video of Misty's sister at link)

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but I still can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." ~Helen Keller~

Sometimes a man can meet his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shutterfly For This Useful Post:

http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=11353156#

*snipped

"ASHEVILLE, NC (WBTV) - Deputies in Buncombe County are investigating a murder mystery along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The body of Misty Carter, 21, was found on the side of the parkway early Monday morning.

The sheriff's office is looking at her death as a homicide, but they do not have a suspect.

Investigators also say Carter was pregnant. At this time, they have several leads in the case.

Sheriff Van Duncan says Carter was not reported missing before she was found.

The sheriff's department says Carter's body was found by a passing motorist near mile marker 395 on Monday at 6:30 a.m.

An autopsy was planned for Wednesday at Bowman Gray Medical Center in hopes of determining the exact cause of death."

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but I still can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." ~Helen Keller~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shutterfly For This Useful Post:

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...uns-loved-ones
    *snipped*
    Misty Lynn Carter was a wonderful person who always wanted to have a child, a friend said just days after the young woman was found dead along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Buncombe County.

The body of the 21-year-old North Henderson High School graduate was found near mile post 395 by Glenn Gap at 6:30 a.m. Monday, said Lt. Ross Dillingham of the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office. Police are investigating her death as a homicide, the first of the year for the county.

Carter was six weeks pregnant and was unclothed when a driver saw her on the side of the Parkway.

Kristen Barnwell, 21, of Hendersonville, said Carter was one of her best friends.

"I met her in the sixth grade," she said. "We became close in school and stayed friends."

Barnwell said Carter, of Mountain Home, was there for her any time she needed her.

"She was fun; she always wanted to go do something," she said. "She was very outgoing. We always had fun together. She loved the Disney Channel."

Barnwell said it had been a couple of months since she had seen her friend.

"She got engaged the same time I did, then I moved to Hendersonville," she said. "When I lived in Fletcher, we saw each other all the time."

Barnwell said she couldn't believe the news when she heard Carter's body was found Monday.

"I had to call her sister," she said. "I don't know why anyone would want to do that. Her family is upset."

Barnwell said that she didn't know anyone who would want to kill her friend.

"She had arguments with her last boyfriend," she said, adding that nothing raised a red flag for her.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shutterfly For This Useful Post:

Woman's death probed as homicide

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...d-as-homicide#

*snipped

The death of a woman whose body was found along the Blue Ridge Parkway on Monday in Buncombe County is being investigated as a homicide, and detectives are trying to piece together how a 21-year-old pregnant woman from Henderson County ended up on the scenic roadway.

Related Links:
    Woman's death stuns loved ones
    The body of North Henderson High graduate Misty Lynn Carter, of Mountain Home, was found near mile post 395 by Glenn Gap at 6:30 a.m. Monday, said Lt. Ross Dillingham of the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office. It's the first murder of the year for the county.

Sheriff Van Duncan said his office is investigating several leads. An autopsy is scheduled for today at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem.

Jerry Knaus, of Fairview, discovered Carter on Monday as he drove along the Parkway headed for a hike.

"I was driving to Mount Pisgah," he said. "About a mile or two from Brevard Road, I saw a body lying off the road near a pull-off."

Knaus said the woman was visible from his car. "It was still dark outside, but the closer I got, I realized it was a person. She was dead and naked."

Knaus said he ran to find another car because he didn't have a cell phone.

"I called 911 and then headed back to the site where the body was until the police arrived," he said.

After his discovery, Knaus said he was treated like a suspect for hours.

"They treated me like a criminal," he said. "They searched my truck and wouldn't let me leave. While I was still at the scene, they sent an officer to my girlfriend's house and lied to her about the situation. They freaked her out. Then they came back to me and said that my girlfriend had told them I left in the night with a woman."

Knaus said his girlfriend never told police that, and the tactic was a ruse. He was released, but said he later heard someone trying to open a door at his home.

"When I went to open the door, there were more sheriff's deputies," he said. "They said I had to let them in to search my house. I told them they weren't coming in my house without a search warrant."

Knaus said he will never stop and call the police again if he runs across something like he saw Monday.

"After the way I was treated, I would just keep on going and I have been telling all my friends if they see something like that to just keep going," he said.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shutterfly For This Useful Post:

Oh my. That is a cunundrum to call the police, wait and then be treated as a suspect and have your life torn apart. Geez, what simply innocent things might we all have on our computers that LE could link as relevant and cause an innocent person to be a suspect? A little frightening.

What would you do? Maybe that's another thread.

I hope they are able to find some good evidence. No clothes, thrown on the side of the road? Does that sound like it was someone she knew? Not to me, but you never know.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:

Wonder if the police will be in trouble for lying to the girlfriend or trying to enter without a warrent. Now that is a bit aggressive.
    The Seeker / Sports Freak /

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dgfred For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Oh my. That is a cunundrum to call the police, wait and then be treated as a suspect and have your life torn apart. Geez, what simply innocent things might we all have on our computers that LE could link as relevant and cause an innocent person to be a suspect? A little frightening.

What would you do? Maybe that's another thread.

I hope they are able to find some good evidence. No clothes, thrown on the side of the road? Does that sound like it was someone she knew? Not to me, but you never know.
    Yes, cops are no smarter than the average person and don't stop and think. If he had actually done it, he never would have called. I would sue the department. If he was scared, he might have confessed to something he never did. I continuously tell my students to never voluntarily consent to a search. You have rights under the 4th amendment.

Sounds like there are not any solid suspects as yet. I watched the interview with Misty's sister, bless her heart. She said Misty's life was coming together; She just found out she was pregnant (she had been told she could not have children), got her boyfriend back, etc. The way the sister talked it seemed as if Misty had encountered some challenges in recent past. I wonder if she had another boyfriend prior to getting "back" with the one she was with when she died?

Has anyone made a Astro request for Misty?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Not sure, is this her Myspace?

http://www.myspace.com/dragons_87

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Not sure, is this her Myspace?

http://www.myspace.com/dragons_87
    I believe it is, yes.

I'm still digging and I've got email alerts all over, but here's what I've learned thus far. I'll post the links as I find them.

Misty lived in the same place all her life in Mountain Home NC until two months ago when she moved in with her boyfriend of five months JG, who also lives in Mountain Home. They'd split, aparently recently, an then gotten back together when Misty found out she was pregnant. I'm guessing that's when she moved in with JG. Well as it turns out, the baby she was six weeks pregnant with didn't belong to JG. Presumably that means the baby belonged to someone else. Bothersome, yes, although I'm not entirely sure how she was so certain that it was not JG's baby. (info as per Blue Ridge News interview with JG)

Misty was with her sister all weekend according to her sister CB. CB last spoke to Misty, whether in person or by phone, at around 11 pm Sunday night. JG says that he last saw Misty Friday night.

Misty's father, BC, friends and other relatives all agree that no one had a "reason" to harm Misty. Even Misty's high school teachers are coming forward to say that she is a wonderful person.

Misty was found at approximately 6:30 am on Monday morning, naked, lying approximately six feet off of the road on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mile marker 395.1~ Glenn Gap. She was found in the turn off area pictured below. The pictures show the area from both directions of travel.

This is where she was found...

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shutterfly For This Useful Post:

What a sad story. I feel bad for the guy who reported everything--if he's telling the truth. What a shame that he was allegedly trying to do the right thing and it blows up in his face...I hope they find the person/people responsible and take a close look at the boyfriends/ex-boyfriends.
    “The deeper that sorrow carves into your being the more joy you can contain. Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?”
    ~Kahlil Gibran

*Obviously, everything I type is my opinion and my opinion only. What I type should not be construed as fact. However, I've only been wrong once in my life and that was when I said I was wrong, but I was really right.*

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheMeaningOfItAll For This Useful Post:

Ugghh, the photo!!! Looks just like the area Kristi Cornwell was abducted from!
    Did you come across Misty's DOB?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Misty Lynn Carter mourned by family and those who knew her

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...WS01/910220317

*snipped (barely)

"FLETCHER — Billy Carter remembers his daughter as a likable, caring person with a good sense of humor.

He last spoke with her when she called to tell him she was going to have a baby.

“She called me last week to let me know she was pregnant,” an emotional Carter said Wednesday. “She was tickled to death. She really loved little kids. She would have made a real good mother.”

Misty Lynn Carter's nude body was found early Monday on the Blue Ridge Parkway by a hiker, lying in the dirt a few feet from the roadway at Milepost 395 — near Glenn Gap north of the Walnut Cove overlook. Lt. Ross Dillingham of the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office said Carter's death is considered a homicide and is the county's first recorded slaying of the year.

Investigators have released little information about how the 21-year-old Mountain Home resident died or progress in the investigation, either publicly or to family members.

“They're not giving out anything,” Billy Carter said. “They're really keeping us in the dark about a lot of things. But I've got faith they'll catch who did it.”

An autopsy was scheduled for Wednesday; results were not available as of press time. Jackson Funeral Home in Hendersonville is handling arrangements, but Carter said funeral plans won't be finalized until the body is returned from the autopsy, which is expected by today.

Misty Carter's boyfriend, Jermaine Glover, said Wednesday the two had been dating about five months. He said the last time he saw her was Friday night, when she left the house. Carter often spent weekends hanging out with her sister, Crystal Branson, Glover said.

Glover said Carter told him last week she was pregnant. He said he learned Tuesday night from Branson that he was not the father; she identified the father as a former boyfriend.

Glover said he was interviewed Tuesday by detectives who acted “like I knew that wasn't my baby and she was cheating on me, but I didn't know.

“It was a shocker. I don't know what to think.”

(2 of 2)

Glover said he has no idea who killed Carter or what she was doing over the weekend.

Elmetta Dickens, 69, lived next door to Carter on Spring Place Drive in Mountain Home. She said Carter lived there all her life until moving out about two months ago.

“I've known her since the day she was born,” Dickens said. “She was just a full-of-life girl.”

Dickens said Billy Carter came by her house Tuesday and broke the news, sobbing.

“He said, ‘That body on the Blue Ridge Parkway, that's Misty.' I was shocked. It hurt me so bad to know that she was used and thrown away like a piece of trash on the side of the road. It broke my heart because I have two daughters. When it's someone you've known her whole life, it really is a tragedy.”

Dickens said of Billy Carter: “He's a very broken man, and he's a fine man.”

Another neighbor, Jeff Cartwright, said he's a friend who had known Carter a long time.

Carter moved out of what had been the family home on Spring Place Drive about two months ago and in with Glover on Piney Ridge Road in Mountain Home, Cartwright said.

“She was a fun person,” he said. “She liked to ride motorcycles. She was real laid-back. All she ever wanted was a man that would treat her right and a baby.”

Staff at North Henderson High School, where Carter graduated in 2006, described her as a good student who was well-liked.

“I really enjoyed her,” teacher Mollie Lytle said. “She was very sweet and kind. She never would hurt a soul. She had a lot of friends and was very outgoing. I was just so sad when I heard it was her. I just feel for her family.”

Carter was last heard from about 11 p.m. Sunday, when she called her sister, Billy Carter said.

He said Crystal told him nothing seemed troubling about the conversation.

“My daughter talked to her at 11 Sunday night,” he said. “She just never came home Monday morning." ........

Ugghh, the photo!!! Looks just like the area Kristi Cornwell was abducted from!
    Did you come across Misty's DOB?
    It does resemble the area to some extent, doesn't it? And oddly enough this dump site is about 126 miles ENE (driving distance) from where Kristi Cornwell's phone was found too. Spooky, huh?

Haven't found Misty's DOB, not yet, but it's not from lack of looking for it.

Here's a picture of Misty

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shutterfly For This Useful Post:

Is there some reason why you are pushing a connection to the abduction that took place in Georgia?

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterfly View Post
    It does resemble the area to some extent, doesn't it? And oddly enough this dump site is about 126 miles ENE (driving distance) from where Kristi Cornwell's phone was found too. Spooky, huh?

Haven't found Misty's DOB, not yet, but it's not from lack of looking for it.

Here's a picture of Misty

Quote Originally Posted by blackappy View Post
    Is there some reason why you are pushing a connection to the abduction that took place in Georgia?
    To the best of my knowledge, no one on Misty's thread is "pushing" for any connection to Kristi's abduction. More than one poster here has mentioned it because it's fresh in our minds. It too was in a rural, mountain setting, and that's the extent of it. I labeled what I said 'odd" and "spooky" and that's precisely what I meant, and that's all I meant. I think it's spooky when I've been looking at an area on the map for weeks that's been labeled by the astro's as a place to search for evidence in Kristi's abduction and then someone dumps a body in it.

What I'm more curious to know is why you chose to draw more from it than what was intended. Do you believe that the two cases are connected? If so please share with us what you're thinking!!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Shutterfly For This Useful Post:

No, I feel strongly that they are not related, and I think it's a bit of a stretch to connect the two cases.
    Furthermore, Asheville isn't exactly what one could correctly call "rural", with nearly 500,000 in the metropolitan area, a huge -for its size- art, literature, music, and dining scene, not to mention a rather large population of tourists (now is peak tourist season) who come specifically to view scenes on the Blue Ridge Parkway during Fall.
    I haven't had the opportunity to visit Blair, GA, but I can only guess with a population of less than 800 it is strikingly different than Asheville.

Kristi Cornwell. Am I missing something here? Did they find her? She was, apparently, abducted. She lives closer to Atlanta, GA than Asheville. Lots of people go missing there everyday.

Misty Carter. Well, we aren't certain what happened to her, but we do know her fate. There is also a mounting pile of evidence that could point to someone local.

Perhaps I am dense, but I just don't see a connection. Could one of the astrologers please shed some light here. I'm sure both the Cornwell and Carter families would appreciate the help from above.

blackappy

To the best of my knowledge, no one on Misty's thread is "pushing" for any connection to Kristi's abduction. More than one poster here has mentioned it because it's fresh in our minds. It too was in a rural, mountain setting, and that's the extent of it. I labeled what I said 'odd" and "spooky" and that's precisely what I meant, and that's all I meant. I think it's spooky when I've been looking at an area on the map for weeks that's been labeled by the astro's as a place to search for evidence in Kristi's abduction and then someone dumps a body in it.

What I'm more curious to know is why you chose to draw more from it than what was intended. Do you believe that the two cases are connected? If so please share with us what you're thinking!!

Cause of Death Released

ASHEVILLE — The woman found dead near the Blue Ridge Parkway a week ago was killed by blunt force trauma to the head, a Buncombe County sheriff’s investigator said this afternoon.

Sheriff’s Lt. Ross Dillingham said he could not say what type of object was used to hit Misty Lynn Carter in the head. Investigators consider her killing a homicide. An autopsy determined the cause of death.

The 21-year-old Mountain Home resident’s body was found lying in the dirt a few feet from the roadway at Milepost 395 — near Glenn Gap and north of the Walnut Cove overlook.
    http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...EWS01/91026042

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackappy For This Useful Post:

link to 911 call associated with the location of Misty's body....

http://www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local/...parkway/28429/

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Shutterfly For This Useful Post:

link to 911 call associated with the location of Misty's body....

http://www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local/...parkway/28429/
    In this call it sounds as if he was talking to someone else from 911 at first then transfered to this woman,he makes statements as to telling the guy.He sounds angry that they are asking him over again, I could be wrongbut it sounds as they cut out the first half on the call.. I hate when they edit 911 tapes ,why release them at all if you going to alter them so much that you only put out part of the picture.
    They should of looked at the guy as a possible supect but not in the manner they did, They could of swabbed his cheek telling him that because he was at the scence they needed to protect him in case of transferable dna. even if he didnt get out of the truck.

The manner of of the body being disposed off does make it sound like it wasnt anyone close to her,but I wouldnt bet on that yet either
    I have not read or connected her locations to see if she was in her regular route of travel or if she was traveling in her own car when she was last seen or if they are looking for her car and what she was last seen wearing. Does that mean they have that information?

We need to find out the BF's middle name and approximate age. If it's who I think it, he is one bad apple. RSO and numerous assault charges. Note; I said I need to confirm his identity, I may have the wrong person. Her MS is private so I can't view her pic's or other info.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Question

Hi/New Poster

I was looking for a thread on the Blairsville, GA woman/missing for over a month now and didn't find one.

I'm in Atlanta/FWIW and I believe this may be of interest to some of you--perhaps it isn't directly related to this case but it is good FYI--if anyone was planning a visit to north GA. I never in my wildest thoughts would have imagined that something like this could go on in GA.

http://www.ajc.com/news/investigator...662.html?imw=Y

A visit to north GA was always a treat but I guess I won't do that this year.

Well I think I eliminated the bad apple possibility, he's incarcerated in Florida.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Hi Pinetree,

The link below will get you to the Kristi Cornwell thread. I also posted a link to that article there.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...=89224&page=19

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Hi Pinetree,

The link below will get you to the Kristi Cornwell thread. I also posted a link to that article there.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...=89224&page=19
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast