CA CA - Mei 'Linda' Leung, 9, San Francisco, 10 April 1984

From that article.......and a second unknown offender....

Also who else is suspected of killing?

Man this is huge. I remember the whole Richard Ramirez Nightstalker scare like it was yesterday. I was pregnant with one of my sons and tripled locked my doors til he was caught.
He is disgusting and adding this little girl to his list makes me sick.

JBean I was in so cal too during that time. I put gravel under my windows, brought the dog in, put bells on my gate, left all my lights on inside and out. It was a scary time.

How sad for Mei's brother to come back and find her like that. I don't actually believe in the death penalty but in this case I'll make an exception! How on earth is that excuse for a human still going through the appeals process after all this time?

How sad for Mei's brother to come back and find her like that. I don't actually believe in the death penalty but in this case I'll make an exception! How on earth is that excuse for a human still going through the appeals process after all this time?

hmmm...i can see your point, but they've served him with a warrant so they can take a blood sample & run another DNA test to be certain. had he been executed back then, they probably wouldn't have kept a sample because the technology wasn't there & then they'd be pretty certain, but not 100% now, if that makes sense...jmo, but i've come to have this view lately as far as cold cases are concerned.

i wonder, do they take samples before executions nowadays?

hmmm...i can see your point, but they've served him with a warrant so they can take a blood sample & run another DNA test to be certain. had he been executed back then, they probably wouldn't have kept a sample because the technology wasn't there & then they'd be pretty certain, but not 100% now, if that makes sense...jmo, but i've come to have this view lately as far as cold cases are concerned.

i wonder, do they take samples before executions nowadays?

Good question - I would have assumed they already had his DNA on file but maybe I'm wrong?

I certainly remember the terror that was associated with his reign of crimes in both Northern and Southern California.

What I didn't know until reading these latest articles was that he has long been suspected in the killing of the Masa's restaurant chef.

I also didn't know that he was also suspected in some other little kid crimes, in addition to the Mei Leung murder. One of the articles talks about that. I do know that regardless of that, little kids, big kids, adults were pretty scared there for awhile and the day they got him, the people on my street, myself included, were exhibiting total joy!

In a way, I would be surprised if they decide to pursue the prosecution of this case. Kamela Harris does not believe in the death penalty, and he is already on death row. The statute of limitations never expires on murder cases. So, if for some reason he was ever released, they could arrest him and charge him with all the murders they have never charged him for.

He was one scary scary dude.

I certainly remember the terror that was associated with his reign of crimes in both Northern and Southern California.

What I didn't know until reading these latest articles was that he has long been suspected in the killing of the Masa's restaurant chef.

I also didn't know that he was also suspected in some other little kid crimes, in addition to the Mei Leung murder. One of the articles talks about that. I do know that regardless of that, little kids, big kids, adults were pretty scared there for awhile and the day they got him, the people on my street, myself included, were exhibiting total joy!

In a way, I would be surprised if they decide to pursue the prosecution of this case. Kamela Harris does not believe in the death penalty, and he is already on death row. The statute of limitations never expires on murder cases. So, if for some reason he was ever released, they could arrest him and charge him with all the murders they have never charged him for.

He was one scary scary dude.

ITA with all you said...

The less *noise* and taxpayer expense about him, the better. And as you said; if needed, these other cases could be prosecuted if by some fluke his sentence would ever be reduced to one which allowed parole. (Ain't gonna happen.)

Uncertainty over whether Richard Ramirez would face trial in new slaying cases

Despite the new investigation into Bay Area slayings connected to "Night Stalker" Richard Ramirez, it remains unclear whether the serial killer would ever stand trial in the cases.

Lots more at link above...

I read this book...it was chilling, just absolutely CHILLING...what a monster Richard was.
I thought, however, he had a terminal cancer...maybe lung? Am not sure...but IF he does I don't see the point in him ever standing trial. There is NO cure for lung cancer.

Good question - I would have assumed they already had his DNA on file but maybe I'm wrong?

i would have thought so...don't they do that now in the States for all offenders? there has been a lot of controversy over here with people who have been acquited but their dna samples still being kept on file. ANYWAY, we know he did what he did, so i imagine they would have it. i was under the impression that they did collect samples from prisoners now as standard procedure...maybe they want another one to be certain?

anyway, my point before was not to minimise his crimes, as i remember it very much. i just meant that the poor girl's family will now know who is responsible once & for all.

Ramirez should be dead by now. The California death penalty is a complete joke.

To this day I don't sleep with open windows, thanks to Ramirez. The fact that he's not dead by now is a travesty.

I was living in Orange Co. California during his rampage. I was so glad when he was caught! I can't believe he is still alive...that was BEFORE I had kids!!!

Ramirez should be dead by now. The California death penalty is a complete joke.
I think his first appeal finally made it to court a couple years ago, maybe 2006? I don't think it took too long for a judge to confirm.

I remember the fear that gripped the region then during his rampage. He was also targeting people who lived in yellow houses, and a lot of people who did were busy painting their homes a different color.

He might be a very old man before he faces the prospect of the needle. Ten to twenty more years of appeals, at least, at the cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars, minimum.

The system is an absolute joke. A bad joke.

OMG. Even after all these years, just seeing the name 'Night Stalker' and Richard Ramirez still send a shiver of fear down my spine.

What he did to his victims was just horrific- the stuff nightmares are made of.

Even in custody while in the courtroom this guy oozed evil right out of his pores.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back