1164 users online (245 members and 919 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,450

    Craig's List

    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Ahead...ory?id=8892924

    A federal judge has ruled that Craig's List is NOT responsible for the content of its postings and will not have to shut down its sex ads. This ruling is being appealed.

    Chicago area sheriff, Thomas Dart, stated he believes Craigslist facilitates crimes by continuing to allow the posting of sex ads. "I have gone to them with arrest records, photographs, arrest reports. It's all about prostitution. They just can't tell me they aren't aware of what is going on," said Dart.

    IMO WS posters should not post on Craig's List.

  2. #2
    poco's Avatar
    poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Flora-frickin-duh
    Posts
    38,905
    OMG, I love Craig's list. Wasn't aware of the "sex ads." It's up to the posters/users of Craig's list to report offensive posts. If a post is flagged, it will be removed. No questions asked.

    So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

  3. #3
    poco's Avatar
    poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Flora-frickin-duh
    Posts
    38,905
    ETA, never even noticed that section - going to go be nosey now!

    ETA again - found it - been on Craig's list 1000 times and never noticed that section. Will however continue to use Craig's list for what I have been using it for - selling/buying furniture, etc. Have gotten some good deals.
    Last edited by poco; 10-23-2009 at 07:13 AM.

    So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,317
    Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    OMG, I love Craig's list. Wasn't aware of the "sex ads." It's up to the posters/users of Craig's list to report offensive posts. If a post is flagged, it will be removed. No questions asked.
    poco, you weren't aware of the sex ads, IMO, because you do not use Craig's List for nefarious reasons or illegal reasons. There are plenty who do, tho.

    I really wish that the sex ads and personal 'dating' ads would be taken out.

    JMO
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    I love Craig's List and don't have a problem with the sex ads. Like poco said, if someone flags something that looks illegal it is taken down. If you don't like the sex ads, don't look at them.

    Seems to me the sex ads would benefit law enforcement officers interested in cracking down on prostitution.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    sitting on a cornflake
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Ahead...ory?id=8892924


    IMO WS posters should not post on Craig's List.
    Post there? Heck, I feel dirty just reading there sometimes...

    Seriously, I found a really great deal on a collectible dollhouse for my daughter on Craiglist once, but I'm very wary of any transaction that requires me to go to a stranger's house or vice-versa.


    "I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In the sunshine.
    Posts
    9,875
    I was under the impression that the judge ruled there were no grounds for a suit against Craigslist. IMO perhaps the reason that Craigslist is receiving some leeway is due to the fact the LE are using the posts on CL to corner prostitutes and escorts.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,450
    Quote Originally Posted by sleutherontheside View Post
    I was under the impression that the judge ruled there were no grounds for a suit against Craigslist. IMO perhaps the reason that Craigslist is receiving some leeway is due to the fact the LE are using the posts on CL to corner prostitutes and escorts.
    Actually, I don't believe this is the case. Note below the case, trying to stop these ads. The sheriff calls Craig's List the largest source of prositution in the nation.

    "http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/03/sheriffs-lawsuit-says-craiglist-largest-source-of-prostitution.html#

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,206
    I have never sold or bought anything from Craigslist. I want to sell a sofa on there I am thinking. It's about 4 yrs old only. Hardly ever used, and no children in the home. So it's like new and in perfect condition. It's a chenille type fabric. I just want a different style.
    Do you guys have any suggestions for me. As to what to put in the ad, to make it sell better? Any help you all can give, is appreciated.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Ahead...ory?id=8892924

    A federal judge has ruled that Craig's List is NOT responsible for the content of its postings and will not have to shut down its sex ads. This ruling is being appealed.

    Chicago area sheriff, Thomas Dart, stated he believes Craigslist facilitates crimes by continuing to allow the posting of sex ads. "I have gone to them with arrest records, photographs, arrest reports. It's all about prostitution. They just can't tell me they aren't aware of what is going on," said Dart.

    IMO WS posters should not post on Craig's List.

    Why does it matter if WS posters post to craigslist. Yes, they have prostitutes advertise there, so does Myspace, Facebook, ebay on occasion, private emails. Should WS users, most of whom are responsible adults, not access any of these things either?
    The logic is baffling to me.
    I can't even compare it to anything.

    I will say for me personally, when it is the off season for yard sales, the only way I keep 4 growing kids clothed and in toys is Craigslist. If you don't want to see the hooker ads, stay out of Rants and Raves, personals and chat, shop and get out. That's how I do it. CL doesn't bother me, and they just busted 6 local hookers and a madam off my local.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpony View Post
    I have never sold or bought anything from Craigslist. I want to sell a sofa on there I am thinking. It's about 4 yrs old only. Hardly ever used, and no children in the home. So it's like new and in perfect condition. It's a chenille type fabric. I just want a different style.
    Do you guys have any suggestions for me. As to what to put in the ad, to make it sell better? Any help you all can give, is appreciated.
    Definitely attach a picture, lilpony. And say everything you just said and I would also include some measurements so you don;t have to answer the inevitable questions. Make your asking price reasonable and be prepared for some haggling. I've sold and brought plenty of things with the aid of CL and never had any problems!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Straight till you get to Jacket Rd.
    Posts
    7,544
    I saw a segment on HLN where people are Bartering on Craigs List. So, I've been looking at what people are offering. There is a dentist that is offering his services for housecleaning, baking, etc. Now, here's the question..Would'nt you think a Dentist could afford to hire someone to do those things?? I need dental work and I'm a GREAT cook and Baker, excellent housekeeper but it's just one of those posts that makes you say "Huh"?
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

  13. #13
    poco's Avatar
    poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Flora-frickin-duh
    Posts
    38,905
    Quote Originally Posted by DollyPardonMe View Post
    I saw a segment on HLN where people are Bartering on Craigs List. So, I've been looking at what people are offering. There is a dentist that is offering his services for housecleaning, baking, etc. Now, here's the question..Would'nt you think a Dentist could afford to hire someone to do those things?? I need dental work and I'm a GREAT cook and Baker, excellent housekeeper but it's just one of those posts that makes you say "Huh"?
    Huh is right! I think that's one of those posts that you need to "read between the lines."

    So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,450
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post

    Why does it matter if WS posters post to craigslist. Yes, they have prostitutes advertise there, so does Myspace, Facebook, ebay on occasion, private emails. Should WS users, most of whom are responsible adults, not access any of these things either?
    The logic is baffling to me.
    I can't even compare it to anything.

    I will say for me personally, when it is the off season for yard sales, the only way I keep 4 growing kids clothed and in toys is Craigslist. If you don't want to see the hooker ads, stay out of Rants and Raves, personals and chat, shop and get out. That's how I do it. CL doesn't bother me, and they just busted 6 local hookers and a madam off my local.
    It matters because you're openly supporting a site that, according to the sheriff, is the largest source of prostitution in the US.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    It matters because you're openly supporting a site that, according to the sheriff, is the largest source of prostitution in the US.
    I did understand your reasoning for suggesting a boycott. But it is something of a double-edged sword, I think, because other members of LE say CL is helpful in identifying and busting people involved in prostitution.

    Of course, I don't think prostitution should be illegal in the first place.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY WA - Marysville couple for sex trafficking of 6yo daughter, 2014
    By MizStery in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2016, 12:09 AM
  2. PA - $50,000 Craig's List Comic Book Robbery - 1 Oct 2015
    By Richrd in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2015, 04:55 AM