Venom Goose

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/ocme/photos.aspx#glenmore
http://doenetwork.org/cases/329umab.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 329UMAB

Unidentified Possibly Asian Male

* The victim was discovered on April 17, 2005 in South Glenmore Park, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
* His first name may be "Jay"

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 15-25
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5' 10" - 6' 0"; 150-156 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Short black hair, with frosted tips.
* Clothing: He was wearing a black leather jacket; white Nike running shoes; blue jeans with a black and white stripe running down the outside seam of the legs.
* Personal Effects: He was carrying a black backpack; also found in his possession was a stamp, which may symbolize a family crest. Investigators believe the individual’s first name may be Jay as two provincial key tags bearing this name were found attached to a backpack in his possession. In addition, the first name Jay was printed on the inside cover of a red Korean/English bible in the man’s possession.

Case History
The body of this unidentified man was discovered in a wooded area in the South Glenmore Park on April 17, 2005.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Alberta Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
780-427-4987
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 1007-7778

The stamp is a signature stamp. The lettering is Chinese but in Korea they often use Chinese lettering.

The name is possibly:

Han Zhengxun
Han Zheng Isao
Han Jeong-hoon

He has been removed from the Alberta ME's site and they now have no cases listed.

Has this one been solved? Cant find the missing person link on the CA site.

His Korean name would be Jae rather than Jay. Jay is his Western name. I have some Asian friends (specifically East Asian) who migrated to North America and use Westernized aliases rather than their actual birth name. Or if there is a Western name that is similar in sound to their birth name, then they will use that.

I believe he was definitely from South Korea. The size label on the black leather Henry Cotton jacket is 105. That is a Korean man's size. The Bible he had was from published by a Korean company based in Seoul and was printed around 1997-1999. One of the key rings was traced to an English language school in Manitoba which is unfortunately no longer there along with any enrollment records which was confirmed to me this morning. Looking at the writing on the inside of the Bible cover, it looks like he printed "Viatrain" which would refer to Via Train rail company and is maybe how he went through the Prairies to Calgary. My Korean friend in Seoul translated the dojang to read: Han Jung Hoon. This is the most important thing that the poor guy had which may help to identify him as they must be registered at district offices in Korea. The only problem is, is that there is no central database for dojangs and there are scores of district offices.

Hi, I just signed up after learning about this site. I’m Korean and would love to help. Please let me know if there’s anything I should try researching in Korean.

I try to lookup but do we know how long he’s been dead before he was found?

Looks like his MP3 player was also a Korean model from Hyun Won:

https://fccid.io/PCMDAH220/User-Manual/USERS-MANUAL-367196

I don’t see a COD or PMI. I’m guessing he wasn’t deceased for very long, since they were able to give a precise weight and description of his complexion. Also, given the year he was found and the fact that he’s listed as having short “black” AND “blonde” hair, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had frosted tips or blonde highlights.

Is it common for Canada to withhold COD or PMI?

Has this ever been published in South Korea and among the Korean expat community in Canada?
It looks like he was a student or exchange student.
That would have been solvable back then, especially with his name right there in Korean and English.
Are there airport/immigration/visa records for someone with that name and age a while before he was found (i assume LE can access them?).

Also there is no information re his PMI and cause of death...

He probably has parents somewhere in Korea who always wondered why their son stopped calling... yes there *are* estranged children in Asian cultures as well, but generally, the cultural norm is to always honor the parents. It would be highly unusual for a young Korean, religious Christian on top of that, studying abroad not to contact his parents.

I also wondered if someone reached out to Korean churches near that area. It would have been easier back then to ask around the community to see if anyone was missing...

I did a quick name search in Korean website but nothing pops up. (Tried with Canada, missing and etc)

Also is tape player common from 2005? I feel like I had smaller MP3 player, not a tape player.

While it seems more likely Han JungHoon was his name, it is plausible that dojang/stamp doesn’t belong to him. Very slim, given his English name, but still.

Personally I find odd that he kept his dojang on him unless he was about to sign (back then they used dojang to sign documents) something. People usually keep it someplace safe.

I also wondered if someone reached out to Korean churches near that area. It would have been easier back then to ask around the community to see if anyone was missing...

I did a quick name search in Korean website but nothing pops up. (Tried with Canada, missing and etc)

Also is tape player common from 2005? I feel like I had smaller MP3 player, not a tape player.
It just looks like a cassette player. It’s actually a digital MP3 player. The description is incorrect.

I agree that it seems like it shouldn’t be too hard to find out his identity. We have a dojang with what might very well be his name, a Korean Bible with the nickname Jay, a distinctive hairstyle, etc.

He’s dressed like a tourist. Bright red Canadian jacket (can anyone read what’s written under Canada?), airplane keychain, vanity plate keychains, RCMP pin and a very popular anti-racism pin at the time on his backpack.

What I find curious is what WASN’T found on him. No wallet, Fanny pack, money belt, passport, cash, traveler’s checks, ID card, train ticket. I wouldn’t be surprised if he were mugged before his death, or if someone came along after and robbed the corpse.

That also begs the question of what was on the Edutech keychain. Seems unlikely he carries around an empty keychain, though I suppose it’s possible.

Canadian visa records, Korean passport records, Korean churches in the area, etc. Strange that he hasn’t been identified.

Also, Calgary isn’t too far from the US border. I believe in 2005, you didn’t need to show ID to travel from the US to Canada, but I could be mistaken. If so, it’s possible he was visiting Canada while on a trip to the US (although Calgary would be a strange destination).

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it seems like it shouldn’t be too hard to find out his identity. We have a dojang with what might very well be his name, a Korean Bible with the nickname Jay, a distinctive hairstyle, etc.

He’s dressed like a tourist. Bright red Canadian jacket (can anyone read what’s written under Canada?), airplane keychain, vanity plate keychains, RCMP pin and a very popular anti-racism pin at the time on his backpack.

What I find curious is what WASN’T found on him. No wallet, Fanny pack, money belt, passport, cash, traveler’s checks, ID card, train ticket. I wouldn’t be surprised if he were mugged before his death, or if someone came along after and robbed the corpse.

That also begs the question of what was on the Edutech keychain. Seems unlikely he carries around an empty keychain, though I suppose it’s possible.

Canadian visa records, Korean passport records, Korean churches in the area, etc. Strange that he hasn’t been identified.

Also, Calgary isn’t too far from the US border. I believe in 2005, you didn’t need to show ID to travel from the US to Canada, but I could be mistaken. If so, it’s possible he was visiting Canada while on a trip to the US (although Calgary would be a strange destination).

I don't think he was a tourist...I feel like he was an international student who just arrived or has not been living there long given his Korean/English Bible. I don't think he would have had a Korean/English Bible if I were just traveling from Korea for short period of time.

Maybe he lived somewhere else in Canada but was touring there when something bad happened and no one knows where he came from?

Hopefully cops were asking questions to Korean churches near this location and couldn't get more info. I'd assume that was the first place they'd had gone.

I believe he was definitely from South Korea. The size label on the black leather Henry Cotton jacket is 105. That is a Korean man's size. The Bible he had was from published by a Korean company based in Seoul and was printed around 1997-1999. One of the key rings was traced to an English language school in Manitoba which is unfortunately no longer there along with any enrollment records which was confirmed to me this morning. Looking at the writing on the inside of the Bible cover, it looks like he printed "Viatrain" which would refer to Via Train rail company and is maybe how he went through the Prairies to Calgary. My Korean friend in Seoul translated the dojang to read: Han Jung Hoon. This is the most important thing that the poor guy had which may help to identify him as they must be registered at district offices in Korea. The only problem is, is that there is no central database for dojangs and there are scores of district offices.

Do you know the name of the English language school? I'm retracing his footsteps.

While it seems more likely Han JungHoon was his name, it is plausible that dojang/stamp doesn’t belong to him. Very slim, given his English name, but still.

Personally I find odd that he kept his dojang on him unless he was about to sign (back then they used dojang to sign documents) something. People usually keep it someplace safe.

what's a dojang? I don't see it listed under his personal effects - is it the bible?

dbm found what I was looking for

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27