GUILTY MO - Jamie, 30, & Derrick Orman, 15, murdered, Cape Girardeau, 27 Oct 2009

lajr56

Reaction score
http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=11389377

CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - Police released the names of the mother and son killed early Tuesday morning.

Jamie Orman, 30, and 15-year-old Derrick Orman were found shot to death at 1224 North Missouri Avenue, according to the Cape Girardeau/Bollinger County Major Case Squad. The house is near Southeast Missouri State University.

Family members of Jamie Orman say she was several months pregnant.

Police say Orman's 14-year-old son called 911 a little after 5 a.m. The 14 year old and a nine-year-old boy, both sons of the woman, were in the home at the time of the shooting.

Sgt. Jason Selzer with the Cape Girardeau Police Department says the two younger boys have been questioned and they didn't see anything even though they were inside the home.

Selzer also says even though someone broke into the home, no one needs to worry about someone running around breaking into homes.

Police say there is evidence of forced entry to a door. Selzer says the suspect most likely targeted at least the female victim.

However, neighbors say they never heard any gunshots.

Authorities have removed the bodies from the home. The Cape Girardeau County Coroner tells Heartland News autopsies will be performed Tuesday afternoon.

The Major Case Squad has been activated. Police won't say if they've found a weapon, but Selzer says 30 officers are working on this case and only this case.

Police have no suspects or people of interest at this time.

This Cape Girardeau crime strikes a big blow to the Perry County school district.

Superintendent Kevin Dunn tells Heartland News Derrick Orman was a sophomore at Perryville High School. His two younger brothers also attend school in Perryville.

Dunn says as a school family, they're trying to do everything they can to meet the needs of their students.

Counselors spent time Tuesday at both the high school and middle school and Dunn says they'll be back on campus Wednesday.

Police are calling this a double homicide. However, given the fact that Jamie Orman was pregnant According to Missouri state case law from State of MO v Holcomb, decided on September 9, 1997: "The fact that a mother of a pre-born child may have been granted certain legal rights to terminate the pregnancy does not preclude the prosecution of a third party for murder in the case of a killing of a child not consented to by the mother; thus person who forcibly aborts a fetus against the will of the woman by physically restraining or assaulting the woman may be prosecuted for the murder of the unborn child."

Selzer also says even though someone broke into the home, no one needs to worry about someone running around breaking into homes.

Police say there is evidence of forced entry to a door. Selzer says the suspect most likely targeted at least the female victim.

These kind of statements always lead me to believe LE already has a suspect in mind.

According to the second link, she lived there with her boyfriend who was still involved with getting a divorce from his wife. Since the filing for divorce was done in 2008 it sounds like things may have turned bitter. It's awful that a pregnant woman and her son were gunned down like this and I hope I'm wrong about what I'm starting to think.

VB

From the article Investigators believe both Jamie Orman and Derrick Orman were shot in their beds, Selzer said. "The 15-year-old was able to move from the point where he was shot to another area of the house where his brothers were before he passed away," he said. :(

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1582065.html

Jamie's Myspace lists her mood as "Blessed". She and her son both logged in on 10-27-09, so it must have been after midnight, but before they were murdered.

These kind of statements always lead me to believe LE already has a suspect in mind.

Yes, but they should at least say 'a person(s) of interest'. If not how do you not worry about a break in where people were shot and suspect(s) on the loose?

In the comments on the link posted. Of course, as w/ any comments it should be taken w/ a grain of salt but it certainly seems feasible.

It is a very sad and tragic story for all the families involved and the children left behind. It has not hit the news yet, but Michelle Lawrence was involved. Her live-in boyfriend, Ryan, confessed to doing the killings and has been charged with three counts of capital murder and they are seeking the death penalty. Michelle provided the alibi for her boyfriend and has also been charged. It was a very bitter divorce, but to kill over? Good Lord, what has this world come to? And for Michelle's boyfriend Ryan to agree to do it is just simply beyond my comprehension. He had no connection per se to the whole situation and was just Michelle's boyfriend. Perhaps now some closure will begin. I know Michelle's little boy and he plays with my sons and my heart goes out to him as well. My prayer's go out to all the families affected by this.

In the comments on the link posted. Of course, as w/ any comments it should be taken w/ a grain of salt but it certainly seems feasible.

It is a very sad and tragic story for all the families involved and the children left behind. It has not hit the news yet, but Michelle Lawrence was involved. Her live-in boyfriend, Ryan, confessed to doing the killings and has been charged with three counts of capital murder and they are seeking the death penalty. Michelle provided the alibi for her boyfriend and has also been charged. It was a very bitter divorce, but to kill over? Good Lord, what has this world come to? And for Michelle's boyfriend Ryan to agree to do it is just simply beyond my comprehension. He had no connection per se to the whole situation and was just Michelle's boyfriend. Perhaps now some closure will begin. I know Michelle's little boy and he plays with my sons and my heart goes out to him as well. My prayer's go out to all the families affected by this.

Ahh...that is where my thoughts were going as well. I bet this comment if very close to the truth. This comment is also very sad :(

Derrick was my boy friend i just cant believe that somebody would do that to him!!! he was just so laid back and never had a problem with anybody! god i just want him back!!! ugh!! why could it happen to derrick gosh!!!

If it's true, I imagine they'll be releasing the suspects' names soon. What I don't understand, not that murder makes any sense, is why kill the boy? He wasn't involved with the divorce.

If it's true, I imagine they'll be releasing the suspects' names soon. What I don't understand, not that murder makes any sense, is why kill the boy? He wasn't involved with the divorce.

Maybe he was awake, or woke up and became a witness.

My first inclination is the same as lajr's - perhaps he was a witness, could identify the killer therefore he was killed too.

According to local news articles, Jamie shared custody with her ex-husband. This was not her normal visitation time, but the kids were off of school Monday. Perp probably did not expect the kids to be there.

That's what I thought too. But the news stories say they were killed in their beds which made it sound like the boy had been targeted too. But it may be poor reporting and only the mother was killed in her sleep.

"She says she can't say if her sister gave her any indication if there were problems, but police say someone forced their way into the home early Tuesday morning and shot both Jamie and Derrick as they lay in bed. Police confirm the teenager lived long enough to make it out into a hallway where his body was later found."

The boys weren't supposed to be there but they had Monday off and decided to spend extra time with their mom, so it's very likely the killer did not expect anyone else to be home.

Unbelievable! I hope they throw the book at the killer(s).

That's what I thought too. But the news stories say they were killed in their beds which made it sound like the boy had been targeted too. But it may be poor reporting and only the mother was killed in her sleep.

"She says she can't say if her sister gave her any indication if there were problems, but police say someone forced their way into the home early Tuesday morning and shot both Jamie and Derrick as they lay in bed. Police confirm the teenager lived long enough to make it out into a hallway where his body was later found."

The boys weren't supposed to be there but they had Monday off and decided to spend extra time with their mom, so it's very likely the killer did not expect anyone else to be home.

Unbelievable! I hope they throw the book at the killer(s).

Looks like a small house. Maybe he was sleeping with Mom?

That's what I was thinking. Or maybe they both fell asleep in the living room?

Yes. I also saw on MYSpace that both of them logged in the same day they were murdered. Must have been after midnight. Laptops, maybe?

Hers was 'Blessed" - his was 'Hungry'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back