What Happens to Your Facebook After You Die?

Dark Knight

Reaction score
In an Oct. 26 blog post, Max Kelly, Facebook's head of security, announced the company's policy of "memorializing" profiles of users who have died, taking them out of the public search results, sealing them from any future log-in attempts and leaving the wall open for family and friends to pay their respects. Though most media reports claimed this was a new Facebook feature, a spokeswoman for the company told TIME that it's an option the site has had since its early days.

Article at link:

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1932803,00.html?xid=rss-biztech-yahoo

This is timely, as a childhood friend of mine that I had just located on Facebook died a day or so after he befriended me on it!

How would your Facebook know that you died? Unless someone notified them?
A friend of my friend's took his over and turned it into a memorial site. That's how I found out he died...

But you'll never have any new friends....
Not unless someone takes over your site for you. I had just befriended my friend a day or two before he died.

One of Facebook better features. It's ashame they all can't be this good,lol. I hate the ones they made last week.:slap: I miss the old facebook!!

One of Facebook better features. It's ashame they all can't be this good,lol. I hate the ones they made last week.:slap: I miss the old facebook!!

Ok, I posted this on my wall. To change FB back: Click on MOVE on menu at the left of the screen. Click on STATUS UPDATES and drag it above NEWS FEED. This will put your FB back like it was.

All they did was move the news feed up above the status updates so the page looks different when you first open it. If you do the above, it goes back like it was before.

Ok, I posted this on my wall. To change FB back: Click on MOVE on menu at the left of the screen. Click on STATUS UPDATES and drag it above NEWS FEED. This will put your FB back like it was.

All they did was move the news feed up above the status updates so the page looks different when you first open it. If you do the above, it goes back like it was before.

You also have to change it from "news feed" to "live feed." Otherwise you'll still miss a lot!

My wife was trying to figure out this info the other night!

i contacted facebook a few days ago asking them to please give me my fathers password and information so i can run his page as a memorial. he made an account right before he died and my mother is his only friend on there. they have yet to contact me back. i am very discouraged by this. he passed away last june and i do not want him forgotten. i would love to have people send me photos of him and them to upload oe be able to post memories or stories of him. it breaks my heart to see his name on facebook and i cannot even get on his friends list let alone his profile :(

if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. he died of cancer and he died way to young. i just dont want his account to sit and fade away...

Hi chemcopout-so sorry for your loss. If you have access to the email he registered to facebook with, you can click the "forgot password" link and they will either send you the password or tell you to reset it (create a new one). Hope that helps.

From what I understand you can email facebook, but most likely you wount get an email back. I've never had to email them, but that's what I've heard.

Afriend of mine passed away last spring, unexpectedly, at the age of 30. This annoying new FB keeps showing her picture on the right hand side and telling me I should "reconnect" with her. I can't even imagine how devastating that is to her family members. I hate FB -- if only I wasn't addicted to the darn applications. ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back