Identified! NC - Cleveland Co., Human skull found, Oct'09 - Randolph Savage

Seifsister

Reaction score
Human skull found in Shelby
By Steve Lyttle
slyttle@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009
Police are investigating an area in southeast Shelby where a human skull was found Tuesday afternoon.

Shelby police say it is too early to tell the age or gender of the person whose skull was discovered. The remains, which included other human bones, were found about 4:45 p.m. Tuesday in a field on a small dirt road, off Mitchell Street.

Police said they cordoned off the area and delayed a search until this morning, waiting for the rain to stop. Police officers were kept at the location overnight.

Police declined comment on whether the skull had been buried or was found on the surface. The remains have been sent to the N.C. Medical Examiner's Office for further investigation, police say.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1024590.html

Asha was last seen in Shelby in February 2000.

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
MISSING: Asha Degree
By NC WANTED Staff

Posted: Sep 11, 2008
Updated: Sep 19, 2008

CLEVELAND and BURKE COUNTIES — At a construction site in Burke County in August 2001, a worker clearing the lot to build a new home found a black bookbag and Tweety Bird purse filled with clothing, hairbows and other childhood treasures.

The next day, police were scouring the area, about 13 miles north of the Cleveland County line, with cadaver dogs, searching for the body of a 10-year-old girl.

No one knows for sure what happened the night Asha Degree disappeared. Witness reports seem to suggest that she left her home in the early hours of the morning and set out walking down Highway 18 in Shelby, dressed all in white with a black bookbag on her back and a Tweety Bird purse in her hands.

Whether she was alone that night, what made her leave home, who may have crossed her path and caused her harm – numerous questions remain.

One thing is clear: when her parents woke up on Valentine’s Day in 2000, their wedding anniversary, Asha was nowhere to be found. Harold Degree, her father, was the last person to see her alive when he checked on her at 2:30 a.m. February 14. She was asleep in her bed.

Later that day, police launched a community-wide search for the young girl. Two motorists reported seeing her walking down the highway around 4 a.m.

“A truck driver that was driving down Highway 18 in the wee hours of the morning… reports that he saw a young black female, gives the clothing description, walking down Highway 18 as he’s traveling down that road to make his delivery,” said John Kaiser, special agent for the State Bureau of Investigation. “I don’t know that it was ever confirmed that that’s her, but it’s always been believed that that had to be her.”

Kaiser was assigned to the case in 2004 right out of the SBI Academy. He had been a police officer in Gastonia when Asha Degree went missing and had seen some media coverage of the case.

But when the case file landed on his desk, he was shocked by the amount of tips that continued to come in, years after Asha disappeared. False alarms that Asha’s body has been found have occasionally come in. And yet, the case remains unsolved.

“Until you can bring me evidence that says 99.9 percent that these are her remains or this is her body, I am not going to believe that she’s dead,” Asha’s mother, Iquilla Degree, told NC WANTED. “I don’t believe that. All we have is hope. Everything else, people can take away from us, but they can’t take our hope away… She’ll be 18 this year, maybe she thinks she’s been adopted or something… maybe she’ll start looking for us.”

Asha would have graduated from high school this year.

“This was not the first child to be lost in America but you see it on TV, and you feel sorry for the parents, you have empathy for them. But when it happened to us, for everybody around us, it was almost like it happened to them,” Iquilla said. “This is Cleveland County. Stuff like this doesn’t happen in Cleveland County.”

And the county has engaged itself in the search, keeping the case in the public eye, reporting any possible clue to police.
Kaiser avoids speculating on what happened to Asha until the right tip comes in.

“The theories that have been put forth by the people involved in this case and by the citizenry in Cleveland County are numerous and one seems as incredible as the next one seems plausible,” Kaiser said.

In the mean time, he is working hard to follow up on every lead and hopes for the right person to come forward with information that will close this case.

If you have any information about the disappearance of Asha Degree, call NC WANTED toll free at 1.866.43.WANTED (1.866.439.2683) or click on "Report a Tip" Your identity can be kept confidential.

http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/story/3531245/

I grew up in this area and I would have to say that I would think this is unlikely Asha. (Although I wish it was for some closure for the family) Where she went missing is very rural and there is nothing out there. Why take here to the city when you are out in vast nothingness of the country? Of course stranger things have happened so who knows! Praying that someone will get closure out of this finding....
JMO

Human Remains Found At Shelby Construction Site
Posted: 6:29 pm EDT October 28, 2009

SHELBY, N.C. -- Shelby police spent the day investigating at a construction site after a human skull was found Tuesday afternoon.

Officers said they confirmed the bones found off Mitchell Street were human remains and had to secure the scene in order to return Wednesday because of Tuesday evening’s rain.

Investigators with the Shelby Police Department and the State Bureau of Investigation returned early Wednesday and began excavating the area. They said any skeletal remains found will be sent to the state medical examiner’s office so that medical examiners can try to identify them and determine a cause of death.

Investigators said they contacted four families of missing persons in the county to notify them that some remains had been found. At this point, they have no indication of to whom the remains belong, but the skull appears to be that of an adult.
Family members of Bubba Savage, who has been missing since 2004, gathered at a home near Boiling Springs and watched TV, hoping for new information on Wednesday.

His daughter, Katrina Mitchell, said news of the discovery made her speechless for a moment.

“I felt like someone just hit me in my guts because when they told me where it was, I felt like it was my dad,” she said.

Savage was last seen about three blocks from the spot where the skull was found. The then 74-year-old suffered from the early stages of dementia.
A plaque in Mitchell's home has her father's picture and the phrase "Missing but not forgotten." Her prayer was to find her father alive, but on Wednesday she said, “We need closure. We don't need to drag this out no longer.”

The answers could take a long time, said Shelby police Chief Jeff Ledford. He said there are no obvious clues about how the person died.

“The scene itself has to be done step by step by step,” he said.

He said Shelby has one other missing person. Rodney Whittenburg disappeared six years ago, miles away in Patterson Springs.

Savage disappeared on Nov. 9, and it may be almost five years to the day before his family members find out if those remains belong to him. Police said it will take days before they can get a positive ID match.

Cleveland County also has two high-profile missing person’s cases.

Asha Degree, a 9-year-old girl who disappeared nine years ago, and Mouy Tang, an older mentally handicapped woman who walked away from an assisted living facility. Both of them were last seen near Fallston.

Anyone who may have information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 704-481-TIPS.
Copyright 2009 by WSOCTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/21457071/detail.html

Shelby skeletal remains ID'd
By Steve Lyttle
slyttle@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Friday, Oct. 30, 2009

The skeletal remains found earlier this week in Shelby were those of Randolph “Bubba” Savage, police said Friday afternoon.

The identication of the bones puts to rest a missing-person case that had lasted nearly five years.

Savage was 74 when he was last seen Nov. 9, 2004. Witnesses saw him walking near Shelby High School that day.

On Monday, a skull and other bones were found on a dirt road in southeast Shelby, not far from where Savage was last seen. Police sent the remains to the State Medical Examiner's Office, which identified them Friday.

Newspaper accounts at the time of Savage's disappearance quoted family members as saying he had dementia and seemed confused on the day he went missing. Several searches have been conducted for him over the years.

Shelby police Chief Jeff Ledford said no foul play is thought to be involved, but he said the case will remain open until his department receives a final report from the medical examiner.

Subscribe to The Charlotte Observer & Earn Miles.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1028566.html

I have heard that candy wrappers were found by a shed and the father picked up Valentines day candy. Asha had been upset that she lost a game and maybe she ran off to meet up with someone to talk to him or her about it and this is why she brought candy. I am also aware of the hair clips found. And the back pack that was found 26 miles away wrapped in trash bags. I would like to know why this girl just wandered off at so early in the morning on a busy highway. What was going through this little girls mind.

A backpack wrapped in trash bags tells me that someone was trying to hide something and that person didn't want the back pack to be seen.

I hope this little girl is found.

I am glad the skull was not Ashas but so sorry for the loss of this man :(.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back