1589 users online (259 members and 1330 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LA - Dr. Ralph Newsome, 45, New Orleans, 31 Oct 2009

NEW ORLEANS Someone stabbed a 45-year-old plastic surgeon to death, then set fire to his French Quarter home early Saturday.

Firefighters found the body on the second floor after breaking into the "the heavily secured structure" about 3 a.m. because neighbors said the occupant might be inside, said Edwin Holmes, a New Orleans Fire Department spokesman.

He had been stabbed, police said.

Coroner's investigator John Gagliano identified the victim as Ralph Newsome. He was 45 years old and taught plastic surgery at Tulane University's School of Medicine, university spokesman Keith Brannon said.

Investigators found flammable liquid, probably gasoline, that may have been used to start and spread the flames, Holmes said.

Snipped from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews

He was dedicated to helping patients with cancer for reconstruction, with birth defects, disfigured limbs and facial features of trauma victims.

His home and garden was sometimes open to the public for a French Quarter garden tour.

http://spotlight.vitals.com/2009/10/...n-new-orleans/

This is Terrible!!

Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    He was dedicated to helping patients with cancer for reconstruction, with birth defects, disfigured limbs and facial features of trauma victims.

His home and garden was sometimes open to the public for a French Quarter garden tour.

http://spotlight.vitals.com/2009/10/...n-new-orleans/
    I don't know if the fact that he opened his garden to the public had to do anything with his murder, but sometimes people are too trusting and let members of the public into their homes, and that leads to no good. Somebody could have observed he had some valuables during this public tour.

Sounds very personal to me...stabbing. I just get the feeling it has something to do with a jilted someone.

I worked for a plastic surgeon once. Some of our patients were on the verge of mental instability. We once had to refuse to do a surgery on a patient the day of...she was literally just losing it and in the end, security had to be called to haul her out of there. We were scared of her for months after that, but we had great security and she never came back. Patients can also get weird about their surgeon, especially if they border on unstable and he's seen them naked a lot. Just sayin. Seen it.

May not be work related at all and just a personal problem.

I think it was a robbery, not personal. They burned his home to destroy evidence of robbery and clues to the murder. Just my guess.

'' the heavily secured structure''

That would have to at the very least mean that that front and back doors were locked. Who starts a fire and locks the door? Maybe they locked on thier own but a house that was broke into wouldnt be so secure?

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Sounds very personal to me...stabbing. I just get the feeling it has something to do with a jilted someone.

I worked for a plastic surgeon once. Some of our patients were on the verge of mental instability. We once had to refuse to do a surgery on a patient the day of...she was literally just losing it and in the end, security had to be called to haul her out of there. We were scared of her for months after that, but we had great security and she never came back. Patients can also get weird about their surgeon, especially if they border on unstable and he's seen them naked a lot. Just sayin. Seen it.

May not be work related at all and just a personal problem.
    Me too, ziggy.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

My father was a plastic surgeon. His partner was murdered in the office.
    This guy was going around and killing people that had a hand in changing the looks of people so that it was becoming more difficult to tell who was part of the Aryan Race. he targeted a hairdresser, plastic surgeon,I think a contact lens CEO and a couple others but I cannot remember anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    My father was a plastic surgeon. His partner was murdered in the office.
    This guy was going around and killing people that had a hand in changing the looks of people so that it was becoming more difficult to tell who was part of the Aryan Race. he targeted a hairdresser, plastic surgeon,I think a contact lens CEO and a couple others but I cannot remember anymore.
    How awful, JBean!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    The fact he worked on patients who were cancer patients or trauma patients as opposed to patients who just want to look 'better' is interesting. At this point there are so many potential suspects the police have their work cut out for them. You have the possibility of a disgruntled patients, co-workers, students - present and past or the remote possibility of a random crime (doubtful).
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

It could be personal but one thing is... it was premeditated. "Investigators found flammable liquid, probably gasoline, that may have been used to start and spread the flames, Holmes said."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570870,00.html

bump!
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

Newsome, a member of the French Quarter's Patio Planters, bought the Toulouse Street house in 2003 and renovated it. Inside, he planted an ornate garden. He shared it with the public the afternoon of Oct. 11 as part of a "secret gardens" tour in the Quarter.

He was also featured in the newspaper recently:
    To a Times-Picayune reporter profiling his garden earlier this month, he said, "I can sit out here in my garden any time and not hear a thing, even during Mardi Gras."

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...d_to_deat.html

Then there was a nice article with a family talking about how DR Newsome gave their loved one 3 years to live when other doctors said she was hopeless:

For the Lubrano family Doctor Newsome performed a miracle.

Mike says "Her quality of life was extended almost three years. The operation took 17 hours.The heart and lung machine was used to keep the leg alive so they could use the music and tissue to do the flap for the hemi-pelvectomy. It's only been done two times and I believe both times was with Dr. Ed Newsome."

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/s...x7x39Uk4A.cspx

Thanks collete, It sure sounds like he was renouned and respected in his field.

I hope LE is able to gain videos, cc receipts for payment to the tour, etc. from the tour on Oct. 11. I wonder if he had a security system in the home? There sure hasn't been much news in this case........sigh.

wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast