LA LA - Dr. Ralph Newsome, 45, New Orleans, 31 Oct 2009

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS — Someone stabbed a 45-year-old plastic surgeon to death, then set fire to his French Quarter home early Saturday.

Firefighters found the body on the second floor after breaking into the "the heavily secured structure" about 3 a.m. because neighbors said the occupant might be inside, said Edwin Holmes, a New Orleans Fire Department spokesman.

He had been stabbed, police said.

Coroner's investigator John Gagliano identified the victim as Ralph Newsome. He was 45 years old and taught plastic surgery at Tulane University's School of Medicine, university spokesman Keith Brannon said.

Investigators found flammable liquid, probably gasoline, that may have been used to start and spread the flames, Holmes said.

Snipped from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570870,00.html?test=latestnews

He was dedicated to helping patients with cancer for reconstruction, with birth defects, disfigured limbs and facial features of trauma victims.

His home and garden was sometimes open to the public for a French Quarter garden tour.

http://spotlight.vitals.com/2009/10/dr-ralph-edward-newsome-murdered-in-new-orleans/

I don't know if the fact that he opened his garden to the public had to do anything with his murder, but sometimes people are too trusting and let members of the public into their homes, and that leads to no good. Somebody could have observed he had some valuables during this public tour.

Sounds very personal to me...stabbing. I just get the feeling it has something to do with a jilted someone.

I worked for a plastic surgeon once. Some of our patients were on the verge of mental instability. We once had to refuse to do a surgery on a patient the day of...she was literally just losing it and in the end, security had to be called to haul her out of there. We were scared of her for months after that, but we had great security and she never came back. Patients can also get weird about their surgeon, especially if they border on unstable and he's seen them naked a lot. Just sayin. Seen it.

May not be work related at all and just a personal problem.

I think it was a robbery, not personal. They burned his home to destroy evidence of robbery and clues to the murder. Just my guess.

'' the heavily secured structure''

That would have to at the very least mean that that front and back doors were locked. Who starts a fire and locks the door? Maybe they locked on thier own but a house that was broke into wouldnt be so secure?

Sounds very personal to me...stabbing. I just get the feeling it has something to do with a jilted someone.

I worked for a plastic surgeon once. Some of our patients were on the verge of mental instability. We once had to refuse to do a surgery on a patient the day of...she was literally just losing it and in the end, security had to be called to haul her out of there. We were scared of her for months after that, but we had great security and she never came back. Patients can also get weird about their surgeon, especially if they border on unstable and he's seen them naked a lot. Just sayin. Seen it.

May not be work related at all and just a personal problem.

Me too, ziggy.

My father was a plastic surgeon. His partner was murdered in the office.
This guy was going around and killing people that had a hand in changing the looks of people so that it was becoming more difficult to tell who was part of the Aryan Race. he targeted a hairdresser, plastic surgeon,I think a contact lens CEO and a couple others but I cannot remember anymore.

My father was a plastic surgeon. His partner was murdered in the office.
This guy was going around and killing people that had a hand in changing the looks of people so that it was becoming more difficult to tell who was part of the Aryan Race. he targeted a hairdresser, plastic surgeon,I think a contact lens CEO and a couple others but I cannot remember anymore.

How awful, JBean!

The fact he worked on patients who were cancer patients or trauma patients as opposed to patients who just want to look 'better' is interesting. At this point there are so many potential suspects the police have their work cut out for them. You have the possibility of a disgruntled patients, co-workers, students - present and past or the remote possibility of a random crime (doubtful).

Newsome, a member of the French Quarter's Patio Planters, bought the Toulouse Street house in 2003 and renovated it. Inside, he planted an ornate garden. He shared it with the public the afternoon of Oct. 11 as part of a "secret gardens" tour in the Quarter.

He was also featured in the newspaper recently:
To a Times-Picayune reporter profiling his garden earlier this month, he said, "I can sit out here in my garden any time and not hear a thing, even during Mardi Gras."

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2009/11/tulane_surgeon_stabbed_to_deat.html

Then there was a nice article with a family talking about how DR Newsome gave their loved one 3 years to live when other doctors said she was hopeless:

For the Lubrano family Doctor Newsome performed a miracle.

Mike says "Her quality of life was extended almost three years. The operation took 17 hours.The heart and lung machine was used to keep the leg alive so they could use the music and tissue to do the flap for the hemi-pelvectomy. It's only been done two times and I believe both times was with Dr. Ed Newsome."

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/...red-by-one-family/djl6SctB3ESKpx7x39Uk4A.cspx

Reactions: nao
Thanks collete, It sure sounds like he was renouned and respected in his field.

I hope LE is able to gain videos, cc receipts for payment to the tour, etc. from the tour on Oct. 11. I wonder if he had a security system in the home? There sure hasn't been much news in this case........sigh.

wm

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2009/11/tulane_universitys_school_of_m.html

Still no suspects named in brutal murder of Tulane plastic surgeon

Five days after a prominent Tulane University plastic surgeon was stabbed to death and his French Quarter home set on fire, police say they continue to work "promising leads" in the case but declined to name any suspects in the brutal Halloween murder

......................snip.........................

Others thanked Newsome for the six years he spent rifling through mounds of paperwork to reaccredit Tulane's plastic surgery residency program, which ceased to operate six months after he joined the faculty in 1998.

Still others said the Alabama native will be remembered as a physician deeply concerned with the quality of life of both his patients and colleagues.

Dr. Douglas Slakey, chairman of Tulane's surgery department, broke down in tears while describing how Newsome grilled burgers for his staff during a recent hurricane evacation.

"He touched so many of us," Slakey said.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.abc26.com/news/local/wgno-news-reward-increase-dr-murder-story,0,6762246.story?track=rss

Reward Increased For Information In Dr.'s Murder On Halloween

NEW ORLEANS - Today, Crimestoppers announces that the reward for information which leads to the arrest and indictment of the suspect(s) responsible for the homicide of Dr. Ralph Edward Newsome, Jr. which occurred in the early morning hours of October 31st, in his home located in the 900 block of Toulouse, as well as the arson of his home has been increased to up to $7,500. The increase was made possible from a donation from Tulane University.

Such a loss! There is no mention of robbery. Sounds like a "personal" crime. To be stabbed that many times and then home set on fire..... Someone personally knew this man. I don't think this was a random murder.

Ok.....no one take offense to what I'm about to say but I bet the doctor was gay. And since this seems personal, we might be looking at a scorned lover type of situation. So we may be looking at someone within the gay community in New Orleans.....

The reason I say this is because of where he lived.

Detectives should look at every angle. It was known that Dr Newsome was gay.....

Newsome, who maintained a listing in a directory of gay doctors and medical providers, received his medical doctorate from the University of South Alabama. He also completed a general surgery residence there.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/10/post_53.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back