OH OH - Police Chief Mel Wiley, 47, Hinckley Twp, 28 July 1985

This case was profiled on Ohio Magazine

I found the weirdest thing I've ever found on ancestry. This Birth record:

Ohio, Birth Index, 1908-1964

Name: Uivivaiaei L Wiley
Birth Date: 20 Aug 1938
State File Number: 1938074065
Additional Information: Walter

Uivivaiaei??? Google it and NOTHING comes up? I tried to look into the document in question but you need to order it.

ETA - Mel was born in 1938 and his middle initial is "L"...

I found the weirdest thing I've ever found on ancestry. This Birth record:

Ohio, Birth Index, 1908-1964

Name: Uivivaiaei L Wiley
Birth Date: 20 Aug 1938
State File Number: 1938074065
Additional Information: Walter

Uivivaiaei??? Google it and NOTHING comes up? I tried to look into the document in question but you need to order it.

ETA - Mel was born in 1938 and his middle initial is "L"...

It could be a transliteration problem from a non English name.

And, in answer to the question above, Ray Gricar was talking to a colleague about the case at least 8 years after Wiley disappeared.

It could be a transliteration problem from a non English name.

And, in answer to the question above, Ray Gricar was talking to a colleague about the case at least 8 years after Wiley disappeared.
I've spent a lot of time on ancestry over several years and have seen all manner of misspellings but I have never encountered anything quite like that.

Keep in mind that he (Melvin) was actually born in 1938 and that this listing is for the same year.

Most bizarre.

I find it strange that Wiley would tell his girlfriend that he was going swimming when it fact it seems that he was not a swimmer. On top of that, it is stated that he had some sort of skin discoloration that he would not want to expose...Well, what-on-earth kind of girlfriend did he have that she would simply accept an "I'm going swimming" scenario,? Did she know nothing about him? Very strange.

I find it strange that Wiley would tell his girlfriend that he was going swimming when it fact it seems that he was not a swimmer. On top of that, it is stated that he had some sort of skin discoloration that he would not want to expose...Well, what-on-earth kind of girlfriend did he have that she would simply accept an "I'm going swimming" scenario,? Did she know nothing about him? Very strange.

Six months in OH would have put that into winter, and it probably wouldn't come up. He said that he was going to K-Mart for a swim suit sale (that was nonexistent). http://doenetwork.org/cases/4145dmoh.html

http://alb.merlinone.net/mweb/wmsql.wm.request?oneimage&imageid=5462617

He didn't like to swim, but he could swim.

Well, from one of the articles, she had only been his girlfriend for six months. And I guess that - at their ages and nearly thirty years ago - there are differing levels of 'girlfriend', KWIM?
The skin thing SOUNDS like vitiligo (although there is some mention of it being related to radiation exposure - so maybe it was scarring of some type).
Just thinking out loud. And I think he just left......and it was way easier to do this sort of thing in 1985 than it would be today. With his resources in LE, he could easily have assumed a deceased person's identity and just morphed into someone else.

This case is just mysterious any way you look at it... No one will probably ever know what happened. I found articles from back in '86 that stated his mother had a gut feeling he was in danger, as well as one of the workers at the doughnut shop he frequented. Then many others think he left on his own accord and all of the things they found after he disappeared point out that he left at his own will. I'm curious, did the ancestry page say where that person currently resides? From all the info it seems that he would go to San Francisco, or at least California.

Bumping.

Could Mel Wiley be this UID?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/966umtx.html

This UID is a bit shorter and seems to be a bit older that Wiley would have been, but much fits. The Chief looked a lot older than his age anyway.
The best pic of Wiley is from, of all things, Weekly World News. I think with the passage of 20 years and shrinkage it sure looks like him. Note the shape of the chin and the nasolabial crease.

What do you think?

I wish there were a better picture of the UID- the ears look fairly large- hard to tell.

But the whole thing with the fingerprints being obliterated- would be something a LE might think of in terms of not being identified.

Hmmm........

I can't find out anywhere the color of Wiley's eyes. Anyone know?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back