1418 users online (205 members and 1213 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - DeLand, WhtMale UP118, 25-99, .45 Cal Pistol, GSW, Jan'06

What do you all think about this possibility?
    http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1563.html
    http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/ga...hp?A200301286W
    other than the UI had some teeth and that LE believes someone was involved. Also note that Leigh's birthday was the same day as he went missing. A lot of people get depressed on their birthday.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-04-2013 at 12:23 AM.

I wonder if the glasses were perscription? If so, I would think they could be traced....

Quote Originally Posted by sillygilly View Post
    What do you all think about this possibility?
    http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1563.html
    http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/ga...hp?A200301286W
    other than the UI had some teeth and that LE believes someone was involved. Also note that Leigh's birthday was the same day as he went missing. A lot of people get depressed on their birthday.
    The dental description in the doe case:
    Dentals: Available. Silver amalgam in # 14. Unrestored caries in # 19 and 30.

The missing person: Identifying Characteristics: Upper and lower dentures.
    Keep trying sillygilly. Some of he identifiers are good.

I did notice the teeth, but, couldn't a person still have some teeth and dentures? I've never noticed the term "partials" in any dental descriptions. I just went to Porchlight and the description says "full set of dentures" Being it was the same county, he's probably been ruled out any way.
    Last edited by sillygilly; 11-04-2009 at 02:51 PM.

No, I don't think it is a match. Look for someone suicidal. This elderly man, in my opinion was probably robbed and killed;that's why they are looking for a person of interest.

ETA: I think the fact that it was his Birthday was a coincidence, I think wrong place at wrong time and taken advantage of.
    Last edited by Danaya; 11-04-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by sillygilly View Post
    I did notice the teeth, but, couldn't a person still have some teeth and dentures? I've never noticed the term "partials" in any dental descriptions. I just went to Porchlight and the description says "full set of dentures" Being it was the same county, he's probably been ruled out any way.
    As to the dental description; "full set of dentures" (described here) means there areno original teeth. There is a full set of artificial teeth (top and bottom in this case)
    If there are a few missing with artificial teeth, it is generally described as a "bridge" if it is still in the mouth or there are signs of having one antemortem. Don't give up!

I think there's a possibility that Leigh is the UID and I agree the most probable scenario is that he was robbed and killed and his car was used to dispose of the body, maybe in the ocean or swamps (there's a lot of both in the 250 miles between Orange City and Boca Raton).

I agree that the "full set" of dentures makes it unlikely to be a match but consider the following:

1. My father has upper and lower dental plates plus three or four teeth that have had some work done to retain them. (He was born ~2 years after Leigh). He therefore has a virtually full set of dentures as well as some teeth.

I might (carelessly) describe him as having a full set of dentures - and would there even be any need to obtain dental records until there was a body to compare against?

2. The body was only 5 miles from Leigh's home and in the same county. Logically this should have been a comparison and rule out regardless. Has it been done?

3. Leigh is a pretty big guy for someone of his age. He's relatively tall and heavy - my grandfather was that kind of build at that age and he really stood out as a larger man in his generation. We also know that the UID was probably fairly elderly due to the advanced arthritis and, based on the clothing, heavily built.

4. The decedent probably drove to somewhere relatively near the site of his death. His vehicle may or may not have been located. It may have gone unclaimed in a pound or it may have been stolen. Leigh could have driven himself to Boca Raton before disappearing, but equally the car could have been stolen from Volusia County and driven to or fenced further south.

5. The POI is named here and there is more background about the case. The case is circumstantial only, though it does appear quite strong on the face of it. Briefly a named POI, who is known to have operated in the area, confessed to killing "somoeone" at Smyra Beach (where Leigh disappeared) and matches the description of a person seen nearby. Unspecified evidence was located in the recovered vehicle a year after the disappearance.

6. The presence of a gun at the scene does not prove a suicide. If he was a fisherman, Leigh could also have been a hunter... could he have kept the gun in the car and that was used against him? Dump the body and the gun together and you have a convincing suicide, especially if the body isn't found for 4+ years!

7. Very little investigative work appears to have been done in relation to the UID. Bone density, fusion, etc., ought to indicate a skeletal age within a range of 20 years or 60+. 25-99 years basically says that this is a mature adult with signs of age-related degeneration, however slight. Therefore many people could match... so how many have been compared? Within the limited physical description, Leigh is a pretty good fit in terms of height, weight and age (although I tend to think that the weight is probably hypothesized based on the clothes found, given how sparse the rest of the description is).

I found a dental chart: http://www.ada.org/public/topics/permanent_number.asp

It looks like #19 & #30 are back molars. Don't some dentists anchor lower dentures to back teeth if possible? Would they also anchor to upper teeth, like #14?

https://identifyus.org/cases/118

The UID's dentals in Namus don't leave him much room for partial dentures either, particularly in the lower jaw. He had lost most of his teeth postmortem and antemortem he was just missing his wisdom teeth and some molars.

A A A A P P P P P P P P P F A A
    A A N P P P P P P P P P P N A A

hello, I was working on this one and with the help of my sister found a possible match. I emailed it to namus (aug 4) and got a automated letter about being out of the office. if they reply back I'll let you all know!
    Michael green (race listed as other on namus, white on charley and black somewhere else i saw him, so he's clearly mixed and the unidentified says white/admixture)
    I mapped where his vehicle was found, in relation to the approx address of the unidentified remains. It was about 40 minutes
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3174/1/
    michaelgreen.jpg