FL FL - DeLand, WhtMale 25-99, UP118, .45 Cal Pistol, GSW, shoes, clothes, glasses, belongings, Jan'06

I wonder if the glasses were perscription? If so, I would think they could be traced....

What do you all think about this possibility?
http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1563.html
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200301286W
other than the UI had some teeth and that LE believes someone was involved. Also note that Leigh's birthday was the same day as he went missing. A lot of people get depressed on their birthday.

The dental description in the doe case:
Dentals: Available. Silver amalgam in # 14. Unrestored caries in # 19 and 30.

The missing person: Identifying Characteristics: Upper and lower dentures.
Keep trying sillygilly. Some of he identifiers are good.

I did notice the teeth, but, couldn't a person still have some teeth and dentures? I've never noticed the term "partials" in any dental descriptions. I just went to Porchlight and the description says "full set of dentures" Being it was the same county, he's probably been ruled out any way.

No, I don't think it is a match. Look for someone suicidal. This elderly man, in my opinion was probably robbed and killed;that's why they are looking for a person of interest.

ETA: I think the fact that it was his Birthday was a coincidence, I think wrong place at wrong time and taken advantage of.

I did notice the teeth, but, couldn't a person still have some teeth and dentures? I've never noticed the term "partials" in any dental descriptions. I just went to Porchlight and the description says "full set of dentures" Being it was the same county, he's probably been ruled out any way.
As to the dental description; "full set of dentures" (described here) means there areno original teeth. There is a full set of artificial teeth (top and bottom in this case)
If there are a few missing with artificial teeth, it is generally described as a "bridge" if it is still in the mouth or there are signs of having one antemortem. Don't give up!

I think there's a possibility that Leigh is the UID and I agree the most probable scenario is that he was robbed and killed and his car was used to dispose of the body, maybe in the ocean or swamps (there's a lot of both in the 250 miles between Orange City and Boca Raton).

I agree that the "full set" of dentures makes it unlikely to be a match but consider the following:

1. My father has upper and lower dental plates plus three or four teeth that have had some work done to retain them. (He was born ~2 years after Leigh). He therefore has a virtually full set of dentures as well as some teeth.

I might (carelessly) describe him as having a full set of dentures - and would there even be any need to obtain dental records until there was a body to compare against?

2. The body was only 5 miles from Leigh's home and in the same county. Logically this should have been a comparison and rule out regardless. Has it been done?

3. Leigh is a pretty big guy for someone of his age. He's relatively tall and heavy - my grandfather was that kind of build at that age and he really stood out as a larger man in his generation. We also know that the UID was probably fairly elderly due to the advanced arthritis and, based on the clothing, heavily built.

4. The decedent probably drove to somewhere relatively near the site of his death. His vehicle may or may not have been located. It may have gone unclaimed in a pound or it may have been stolen. Leigh could have driven himself to Boca Raton before disappearing, but equally the car could have been stolen from Volusia County and driven to or fenced further south.

5. The POI is named here and there is more background about the case. The case is circumstantial only, though it does appear quite strong on the face of it. Briefly a named POI, who is known to have operated in the area, confessed to killing "somoeone" at Smyra Beach (where Leigh disappeared) and matches the description of a person seen nearby. Unspecified evidence was located in the recovered vehicle a year after the disappearance.

6. The presence of a gun at the scene does not prove a suicide. If he was a fisherman, Leigh could also have been a hunter... could he have kept the gun in the car and that was used against him? Dump the body and the gun together and you have a convincing suicide, especially if the body isn't found for 4+ years!

7. Very little investigative work appears to have been done in relation to the UID. Bone density, fusion, etc., ought to indicate a skeletal age within a range of 20 years or 60+. 25-99 years basically says that this is a mature adult with signs of age-related degeneration, however slight. Therefore many people could match... so how many have been compared? Within the limited physical description, Leigh is a pretty good fit in terms of height, weight and age (although I tend to think that the weight is probably hypothesized based on the clothes found, given how sparse the rest of the description is).

https://identifyus.org/cases/118

The UID's dentals in Namus don't leave him much room for partial dentures either, particularly in the lower jaw. He had lost most of his teeth postmortem and antemortem he was just missing his wisdom teeth and some molars.

A A A A P P P P P P P P P F A A
A A N P P P P P P P P P P N A A

hello, I was working on this one and with the help of my sister found a possible match. I emailed it to namus (aug 4) and got a automated letter about being out of the office. if they reply back I'll let you all know!
Michael green (race listed as other on namus, white on charley and black somewhere else i saw him, so he's clearly mixed and the unidentified says white/admixture)
I mapped where his vehicle was found, in relation to the approx address of the unidentified remains. It was about 40 minutes
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3174/1/
michaelgreen.jpg

www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/118

Thumbnail

Noting that no hair was found with the remains, and if towards the upper end of the age spectrum, could be grey/greyer.

I feel like the reconstruction artist could have done a better job with this guy. He was clearly a bigger dude, with his XXL/2XL/2X size clothing, but the reconstruction looks like a man with a slender or athletic build. Also, glasses were found near the remains - why not depict him wearing the glasses? Surely that would be the most recognisable element to anyone who knew him.

On January 8, 2006, the skeletal remains of a white man (with unelaborated admixture) were found in a wooded area in DeLand, Florida. He had shot and killed himself in an area that investigators described as 'not heavily trafficked by people'. He had been deceased for anywhere between six months to seven years. He was estimated to be between 25 and 65 years old and was between 5 feet 9 inches and 6 feet 6 inches tall. Weight, hair color, and eye color could not be ascertained. He was found wearing a pair of "Converse All Star Chuck Taylor" shorts, a pair of navy blue sweat pants, a T-shirt, three pairs of assorted white sport socks, and a pair of "Converse All Star" basketball shoes with white soles and blue stripes. Various personal effects were found with the man, including a pair of glasses, a Walkman media player, a backpack with an unfired .45 ACP cartridge, a .45 caliber pistol, a Radio Shack portable alarm clock, and a wallet with no ID. Investigators could not find any sign of charring on the bones, which would have been burned from wildfires in the area in 1998, leading them to believe that they were not in the area before that. [30]
1654043942081.jpegJ

The Sheriff’s office has partnered with Othram.

March 5, 2024

Detectives with the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office (VCSO) are hopeful that a recent DNA extraction may lead to the identification of human remains that were found in DeLand in 2006.

The Doe Network: 2801UMFL
NamUs: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

118_446.jpg

Unidentified White Male

• The victim was discovered on January 8, 2006 in Volusia County, Florida
  • Partial skeletal remains only

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 25-65 years old
  • Height and weight: 5'9"-6"6"
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Osteoarthritic changes present in several joints.
  • Fingerprints: Not available
  • Dentals: Available; Silver amalgam in # 14. Unrestored caries in # 19 and 30.
Clothing and Accessories
  • Pair of Converse All Star Chuck Taylor shorts size 2XL, pair of Tultex sweat pants navy blue size 2X, Wilson t-shirt size XXL
  • 3 pairs assorted white sport socks, pair of Converse All Star basketball shoes white soles with blue stripes sixe 13
  • Walkman
  • Condom
  • Purple Thrive nylon backpack which contained a wallet with no ID, and an unfired FMJ .45 caliber ACP cartridge
  • Radio Shack portable alarm clock
  • .45 caliber pistol :(
  • Brown Mundi eel skin wallet
  • black plastic eyeglass case
  • GPX personal radio AM/FM with headphones gray in color
  • 2 rolls of clear first aid tape
  • Gator Aid bottle
  • Entice super roller pen x-fine
  • comb
  • 2 pair glasses
  • Ibuprofen bottle
Case History
  • Remains discovered by hunters, one-quarter mile into the woods just east of the listed address. Remains show evidence of a single, perforating, intraoral gunshot wound. Decedent is white with evidence of admixture. Death ruled a suicide. (NamUs)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back