1355 users online (321 members and 1034 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Same writer?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

111 81.62%
  • No

25 18.38%

Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Simple question...

Same writer?Don't analyse,what does your first instinct tell you?

Ramsey case: "Instead of being the DNA of one person, they have instead created a composite of someone who does not exist. "

I am staggered that anyone is saying 'no.' Prima facie, they are identical and, ultima facie, they are close enough that you couldn't put a stick of chewing gum between them.

First instinct tells me...
    'not enough data to hang anyone'.

Of course that wasn't a poll choice.

One single character of writing is not going to make any handwriting analyst happy. Studying hundreds of characters from two different writers and placing the most similar next to each other will produce a false positive, IMO.

There were handwriting experts complaining that the PR exemplars they had weren't enough and were written in the wrong pen for analysis.

I suggest looking at it from the same POV as the pros. That is, what is the probability that PR could've authored the ENTIRE ransom note (Not just one letter)? That is really the question at hand, BTW.

According to a linguist its nearly zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat View Post

One single character of writing is not going to make any handwriting analyst happy. Studying hundreds of characters from two different writers and placing the most similar next to each other will produce a false positive, IMO.

There were handwriting experts complaining that the PR exemplars they had weren't enough and were written in the wrong pen for analysis.

I suggest looking at it from the same POV as the pros. That is, what is the probability that PR could've authored the ENTIRE ransom note (Not just one letter)? That is really the question at hand, BTW.

According to a linguist its nearly zero.
    It was a simple question with no trick behind it,
    why so defensive about it HOTYH?

So your first instinct told ya you need to defend PR.

THANKS!
    Ramsey case: "Instead of being the DNA of one person, they have instead created a composite of someone who does not exist. "

Quote Originally Posted by madeleine View Post
    It was a simple question with no trick behind it,
    why so defensive about it HOTYH?

So your first instinct told ya you need to defend PR.

THANKS!
    OK you'll get no more response from me! I understand.

Of course I won't, that's what you always do,as long as something doesn't fit your IDI theory or someone asks a question you don't like you become very quiet.I understand too!

Enjoying your thread here...Fine, sample to show how PR and the RN as alot of similarties..Just by glance you can see this....
    Knowledge of time is precious.Wisdom of truth is more precious than time..Opinions I write are mine..

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Same person, different pen.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

I suggest looking at it from the same POV as the pros.
    I don't intend to take this to court,it's not MY job.But seems that the ones who should are still sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    Enjoying your thread here...Fine, sample to show how PR and the RN as alot of similarties..Just by glance you can see this....
    I didn't want to start another PR did or didn't write the ransom note thread but since we were talking about prima facie ..........sometimes you don't even have to dig that deep...

A jury might not even have the patience to hear 100 experts arguing re she did or she didn't write the note because this and that..but they might look at these two samples and say "yep,it's the same writer" or "nope,it's not written by the same person"...............

We've seen enough trials when the jury made a decision based on............a planted glove and a bit of racism,didn't we?Why do you think it would be different in this case and jurors would listen for hundreds of hours to boring linguistic testimony?

Last I checked, no one's talking about "hanging" anyone, HOTYH. It was a simple question.

One single character of writing is not going to make any handwriting analyst happy.
    We know that, HOTYH. The thing here is, madeleine only posted one of MANY examples.

At first, certainly.

I couldn't have put it better myself!

I'm glad one of us does, because I sure don't.
    Last edited by SuperDave; 11-05-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    I'm as mad as HELL and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore!.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Last I checked, no one's talking about "hanging" anyone, HOTYH. It was a simple question.
    You're kidding, right? Colorado is a capital murder state, and this forum is heavily populated by RDI. Those who would like nothing better for possibly innocent person to be convicted of child murder.

Sorry but thats a laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by madeleine View Post
    I didn't want to start another PR did or didn't write the ransom note thread but since we were talking about prima facie ..........sometimes you don't even have to dig that deep...

A jury might not even have the patience to hear 100 experts arguing re she did or she didn't write the note because this and that..but they might look at these two samples and say "yep,it's the same writer" or "nope,it's not written by the same person"...............
    Alex Hunter has hinted that he wanted to take exactly that approach.

You're kidding, right?
    I never kid about this case, HOTYH.

Colorado is a capital murder state, and this forum is heavily populated by RDI.
    The two are not mutually inclusive, HOTYH. Even if we DID want someone to hang, that's up to the courts. Second, establishing guilt is not the same as administering punishment. Third, as madeleine said, this is not an attempt to restart the old "did PR or didn't she" argument. This was an attempt for people, who theoretically might not know who wrote those examples, to say the first thing which came into their minds. Like madeleine, I don't see any reason for your need to reflexively defend PR. Maybe someday you won't rush to ascribe the worst motives to us.

Those who would like nothing better for possibly innocent person to be convicted of child murder.
    That insult is beneath my consideration.

Sorry but thats a laugh!
    The only laugh here is your jumping to conclusions about our motives. Neither accurate nor appreciated. Indeed, your defensive manner tells me a fair deal about your motives, but since I'm a gentleman, I won't make anything of that.
    Last edited by SuperDave; 11-05-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Third, as madeleine said, this is not an attempt to restart the old "did PR or didn't she" argument. This was an attempt for people, who theoretically might not know who wrote those examples, to say the first thing which came into their minds.
    EXACTLY.That was my intention.
    Thank you.

Those who would like nothing better for possibly innocent person to be convicted of child murder.
    Yeah,we must be all mentally ill!
    You have no idea what I'd like,trust me.But I could guess what you'd like.Actually,what you wanted already happened so why so defensive?Are you afraid someone might flush Lacy's decision down the toilet one day and start a real investigation?
    Last edited by madeleine; 11-05-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast