GUILTY FL - Chauntasia Gardner, 5 mos, starved to death, Lakeland, 1 Nov 2009

GetSmart

Reaction score
I did a search and this did not pop up... I was sure we would have posted this ..
This is so wrong ...
http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...rves-in-walking-distance-of-a-grocery/1049449

LAKELAND — The pantry and refrigerator were full of juice, pasta, snacks and canned food — plenty to fill the bellies of the two adults and five children who lived in the house on Sunshine Drive.
But not enough for the baby.
Only 2 ounces of formula were found Monday in the home where paramedics pronounced an emaciated 5-month-old girl dead. She weighed just 6 pounds.
Chauntasia Gardner starved to death in a house with more beer than infant formula, investigators said, and the Polk County Sheriff's Office blames the parents. Tivasha E. Logan, 25, and her boyfriend Chauncey Gardner, 27, were charged with first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse.
"It is mind-boggling," Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said. "I've done this job my entire adult life, and I've seen a lot of violence against children and babies, but I can't ever remember seeing one starve to death. This child was tortured for days on end until she finally died from starvation."
This wasn't a famine-plagued region. There was no water shortage or crop failure. This was Lakeland.
The family lived a mile from the nearest grocery store and in walking distance of two churches. Logan had Medicaid and received Social Security Income and food stamps. She also participated in the county's Women, Infants & Children program, which provides some formula.
Investigators even found a $674 Social Security check that Logan received on Nov. 1 specifically for the infant.Why was this child getting Soc security?
Still, Logan watered down the formula at a 3-1 ratio, not 1-1 as the label instructed, the arrest report states. She told deputies that she never read the label; she said Gardner told her 3-1 was correct.
"It's absolutely appalling," Polk County Commissioner Ed Smith said. "It's unbelievable that anybody would starve a child to death. Your own flesh and blood, it's just unbelievable."
Paramedics went to the house at 2710 Sunshine Drive N in response to a call about a child who was not breathing. When deputies arrived, she was laying on the floor, her ribs and spine visible, her eyes sunken and her skin loose and wrinkled.
Judd said the parents were in denial and couldn't see what they had done wrong. They haven't offered an explanation, he said.
Logan and Gardner never took Chauntasia to the doctor, the arrest report said. The baby was born prematurely on May 11 but released on July 29 at a healthy weight of 7 pounds and 8 ounces.
Three months later, she didn't weigh even that much.
When told the baby's weight, a Tampa pediatrician gasped.
"Oh, my God, 6 pounds?" said Dr. Christina Paulson. "Six pounds would be way, way, way below the third percentile," she said as she looked at a chart. "It's not even on the curve.... If that baby came into the office, we'd have sent them to the hospital."
The average weight for a 5-month-old is about 14 pounds, she said.
Logan told detectives that she tried several times to get an appointment with a doctor but couldn't because none would accept her Medicaid.
However, her mother, Vonda Stewart, told investigators that she confronted Logan two weeks ago and urged her to take the baby to the doctor because of weight loss. Logan told her mom that she had gone to a doctor and that Chauntasia weighed 8 pounds.

I should be shocked, GetSmart, but I am not. This sort of thing is happening with much more frequency than ever before. I hope these two adults are sentenced to LWOP.

This literally makes me sick to my stomach.

I forgot to add this part which is so messed up and really ticks me off :banghead:

Three of the children — ages 4, 3 and 2 — belong to both Gardner and Logan, and Logan's two additional children — ages 10 and 6 — also lived with them. Gardner told deputies that he has fathered 10 children.
Gardner and Logan have each previously been convicted of several crimes. Gardner's convictions include possession of cocaine and driving under the influence and Logan's include driving under the influence and resisting arrest.

The old saying that so many outhere would have taken and loved that baby myself included...but all that baby was and I hate to say it was a Soc Sec check for those heathens

Both their azzes need to be locked away forever with no chance of parole - EVER!!!! The guy needs to be castrated and the so-called mother needs to be 'fixed' as well. Then they should have to be starved slowly to death within plain sight of food.

JMO

I just dont get it....How does this happen ?? The Gov supports them and their children (and dont get me wrong the babies need to eat ..(well you know what I mean) but no follow up.. no check and balances .. I know we have asked that question a thousand times over .. but this is another of a zillion so called slip thru the crack case... and oops no pun intended but the drug thing really erks me .. and all of it does .. i am so angry i am "sputter typing" LOl///Sorry

What's wrong! This world is getting so bad.
Lakeland Fla............to much sunshine???
Why Fla and baby murders?

The answer here is simple. They killed their child through cruelty and willful neglect. It takes effort to starve a child. I guess if you dont feed a baby you dont have to change its diapers? Who knows? Why did she feed it at all?

Grandma, why didnt you take that child in?

Why did they call? Again, this is the part that gets me every time-the phone call. Like someone else could fix it.

Why dont they call first? "911, I dont want this baby any more-please come take it because if you dont I wont feed it."

K-I am reviving an old thought of mine. When you give birth, you have to sign an affidavit that you know you will be charged with a first degree felony if you willfully neglect this child or abuse it. You will be charged with first degree murder if you kill this child. Initial here-thank you very much, we will see you in court.

She said that her boyfriend told her that the ratio was 3 to one. But she had other children, children that I presume she made formula for. So I don't accept that excuse. She got WIC which would have helped with formula, she was getting welfare and that would have included foodstamps, so they had the means to buy formula. They had drugs in the home, so obviously they had gotten money from somewhere.

My guess is that they found a source to sell the WIC and/or foodstamps. That could explain why they shorted the formula and how they managed to have money to buy drugs.

The answer here is simple. They killed their child through cruelty and willful neglect. It takes effort to starve a child. I guess if you dont feed a baby you dont have to change its diapers? Who knows? Why did she feed it at all?

Why did they call? Again, this is the part that gets me every time-the phone call. Like someone else could fix it.

Why dont they call first? "911, I dont want this baby any more-please come take it because if you dont I wont feed it."

bolded by me.

I wonder why she believed her daughter when she said she had taken the baby to the doctor and she weighed 8 lbs. Certainly she could see the baby didn't weigh 8 pounds-- even 8 pounds would not have been healthy. DUH--just look at the child...If only she had pursued it one step further and gone to LE or CPS. Or just taken the baby to the hospital!

I was at the drugstore to buy formula for my granddaughter and couldn't understand why the baby formula was under lock and key. If I remember correctly, I was told that baby formula is often used as a component of methamphetamine.

I know absolutely nothing about drugs, so this peaked my interest and I looked it up. Here's what I found:

Infant formula is often used in the drug world. Drug dealers use powdered baby formula to cut the strength of cocaine and heroin. According to a recent article in Chicago's Journal Standard, "the popular powdered baby formula is primarily used in the drug world to dilute heroin and methamphetamine or to stretch the product when supplies run low." Special Agent Joanna Zoltay states that, "The consistency and the way it looks is what makes it a good cutting agent," Zoltay said. Infant formula is non-toxic and relatively safe to cut with any number of drugs.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/342352/most_shoplifted_items_infant_formula.html

I was at the drugstore to buy formula for my granddaughter and couldn't understand why the baby formula was under lock and key. If I remember correctly, I was told that baby formula is often used as a component of methamphetamine.

She didn't call anyone to come and take the baby because she wanted the baby, or should I say she wanted that $665 SSI check. The older children could feed themselves if there was food in the house, plus they can make a lot more noise if hungry then a baby can.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm so disgusted with people like this. You have to give them money because no one wants a child to go without. Yet, they end up going without anyway because the parents are selfish, drug abusing, trash.
:furious:

I just dont get it....How does this happen ?? The Gov supports them and their children (and dont get me wrong the babies need to eat ..(well you know what I mean) but no follow up.. no check and balances .. I know we have asked that question a thousand times over .. but this is another of a zillion so called slip thru the crack case... and oops no pun intended but the drug thing really erks me .. and all of it does .. i am so angry i am "sputter typing" LOl///Sorry

I don't get it either. If the family received assistance from WIC (who supply some formula), wouldn't the child have to be seen at the WIC office at some point? I'm not blaming WIC for the child's starvation, I am just suprised that no one caught it, especially providers of services.

Poor baby... but what really pizzes me off is these losers living of the taxpayers. No job, a bunch of kids - makes me sick. I'm all for forced sterilization for both the male and female here.

I know absolutely nothing about drugs, so this peaked my interest and I looked it up. Here's what I found:

Infant formula is often used in the drug world. Drug dealers use powdered baby formula to cut the strength of cocaine and heroin. According to a recent article in Chicago's Journal Standard, "the popular powdered baby formula is primarily used in the drug world to dilute heroin and methamphetamine or to stretch the product when supplies run low." Special Agent Joanna Zoltay states that, "The consistency and the way it looks is what makes it a good cutting agent," Zoltay said. Infant formula is non-toxic and relatively safe to cut with any number of drugs.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/342352/most_shoplifted_items_infant_formula.html

Back in the 80's, they were using a baby laxative, which was was also a white powder, to cut cocaine, and users were coming down with diarrhea. This is what I recall anyway--the memory isn't quite what it used to be.

Needless to say, I agree with everything y'all have said. :no:

But as an aside, did anyone else recognize the "father's" name? Chauncey Gardner was the mistaken name of one of the greatest characters of all time: Chance, the gardener, who walked on water.
This creep could only float on it, as scum does. :snooty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There

I live in Tampa and go to Lakeland a couple days a week to play tennis... its totally PODUNK out there... the sheriff showboats on TV every time he makes a meth bust (Polk County is the meth capital of the world). The police force makes Barney Fife look like CSI. There are no child protective services worth noting...

Chauncy Gardener... thats the character from the "Being There" book and movie... aka Chance the Gardiner

I just bought formula at Safeway for a friend and it was almost 30 dollars. They didn't have it under lock and key. Coke dealers used baby laxative to cut coke and I come from about 35 miles from the place that they did the doc on called "Meth Mountain." (that's why I moved all the way across country!!!) I've never heard of using formula but it wouldn't shock me.

I think the scumbags should be locked in a cell and starved death just like they did the baby. No food , no water!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back