1572 users online (363 members and 1209 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Parents Lose Custody Of 7 Children Because They're Too Fat

A newborn baby who was taken away from her parents because they were judged too overweight to look after her has returned home.
    The family from Dundee, Scotland was split up by social workers from the city's Children's Panel.
    The baby girl was born two weeks ago and was taken from the arms of her 322-pound mother shortly after her birth.
    The 40-year-old woman and her 53-year-old husband, who weighs around 252-pound, have not been named to protect the identity of their children.
    Two of their children, ages 3 and 4, were taken away earlier this year.
    Another four children, including a 13-year-old boy who is said to weigh 224-pounds, have also been taken from their parents.
    more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...0.000000:b0:z5

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    I really hope there is more to this. Heavy people can care for children for God's sake. There has got to be more.
    Help our Administrator Bessie
    Check out Websleuths Facebook page
    Follow Websleuths on Twitter
    Read Websleuths on
    Wikipedia

Tricia Griffith
    triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
    6300 N. Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H # 214
    Park City UT

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    I really hope there is more to this. Heavy people can care for children for God's sake. There has got to be more.
    I've got to believe that too, Tricia. I simply cannot accept that these children were removed because of their parents' weight - that is just too unbelievable. I wish we could find out more.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    Gee wiz here in America we don't even take them away if they are starved and abused. We just send the parents to class and hope for the best. That my opinion from all the cases I have seen lately.

Well this may be rather blunt, but if they can physically get together to make babies, then they should be able to care for them, you think?

I know they can care for them and while I wish they had just been offered counseling and some sort of therapy, this is gravely unhealthy for the children. Obesity can lead to heart disease and other ailments causing premature death. Adults have a choice to be obese in 98% of the cases-children do not.

Overeating is usually an addiction and the parents, while possibly addicted to food are still probably loving and able to care for their kids. However, I find it incredibly irresponsible and ignorant to feed a child to the point of them becoming so severely overweight unless they have a rare genetic disorder. Do people not care that their kids are not only set for a lesser quality of life but that they are unhealthy, too?

People never cease to amaze me.

I went back to re-read the article and saw this (which I didn't catch the first time): "Three of the children in care are now attending an obesity clinic. The eldest child asked the authorities himself to be taken away from his parents.
    Dundee city council does not comment on individual cases but a spokesperson said: "Children would not be removed from a family environment just because of a weight issue."

It seems to me that there's more going on in that home than being overweight. Still wish we had more information.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    OK, that makes sense. If the parents were morbidly obese and their children were not getting the proper nutrition and therefore morbidly obese too then that could be cause for removal.

It's not the parents weight but the weight they allowed their children to gain.
    Help our Administrator Bessie
    Check out Websleuths Facebook page
    Follow Websleuths on Twitter
    Read Websleuths on
    Wikipedia

Tricia Griffith
    triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
    6300 N. Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H # 214
    Park City UT

How sad that the 13 year old boy asked to be taken away. Unless he's a very tall boy he really does weigh alot, and could be the target of teasing and bullies. I hope they all get help and learn how to cope and do what it takes. If the weight problems are due to over eating I don't see how they could have afforded all the food for around eight obese people.
    Last edited by txsvicki; 11-05-2009 at 12:15 AM.

^^ Some people have lots and lots of money-I'm not one of them but hey-they're out there!
    Last edited by Danaya; 11-05-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: .

That's ridiculous! I've never heard of such a thing ever. It may be genetic; there's no reason for those children to be taken away as long as they have a loving safe home.
    "The cure for crime is not the electric chair, but the high chair."

-J. Edgar Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    I went back to re-read the article and saw this (which I didn't catch the first time): "Three of the children in care are now attending an obesity clinic. The eldest child asked the authorities himself to be taken away from his parents.
    Dundee city council does not comment on individual cases but a spokesperson said: "Children would not be removed from a family environment just because of a weight issue."

It seems to me that there's more going on in that home than being overweight. Still wish we had more information.
    (bolded by me)
    I wish we knew why he asked to be taken away..maybe it has more to due with the reason why they took all the kids away?
    "The cure for crime is not the electric chair, but the high chair."

-J. Edgar Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    (bolded by me)
    I wish we knew why he asked to be taken away..maybe it has more to due with the reason why they took all the kids away?
    I'd like to know that too, MeoW333.

I don't like the thought of children who are obese being taken away from their family unless something else is going on.

My 9-year old son has a friend at school who is obese and always has been. But this child has very good parents - they are "normal"-sized and have tried for years to work with their child on his weight issues. Calories and exercise not withstanding, some people are fatter than others. That's not a crime. IMHO, holding onto excess weight can be a result of emotional and spiritual issues and not just physical choices.

This is a little bit of a red button issue for me. "Fat" seems to be the next "smoking." It's okay to treat overweight people like pariahs all under the guise of caring about their health. I think it's BS.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    There has to be more to the story than this. I certainly don't think this is okay if it is that black and white. I didn't realize 250lbs is considered morbidly obese.

It DOES bother me a lot to see parents who are overweight and make unhealthy food decisions let that effect their children. The child does not control what they eat. They eat what you give them and if you are giving the soda, cookies, high fat food etc then obviously they are not going to be very healthy children. That is just simply irresponsible and lazy on the part of the parents.

As far as discrimination goes I think discrimination regarding overweight people is pretty universally accepted as okay. You could say something to an overweight person you could never say to a minority w/out getting in trouble. I think it is because it has to do with the cosmetic and that is somethign almost everyone can relate to and agree on what is attractive and what's not. People also assume overweight individuals are lazy and uneducated. I also think most of the discrimination is geared towards women. It seems more socially acceptable for a man to be overweight than a woman. I see incidents all the time especially on the subway. Almost always any comments made or gestures made are geared towards women.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

If they allowed their 13 year old to become 244 pounds, and it is NOT because of some medical disorder, then I think their children should be taken away, since they are obviously unable to provide them with a healthy home life. Just because the parents are fat does not mean the children should be. But, unfortunately, children tend to imitate their parents. So if the parents were unable or unwilling to curb their childrens' eating habits, then they should not be parents. Let the kids have an opportunity to live a healthy life.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast