Inmates saved deputy, sheriff's office says

Thank god they came to help him, that guy was really meaning to hurt him.
Hooray for the inmates...I bet that officer is thankful for that !
Thank you for sharing

I understand that LE is going to write a letter for each of these inmates that came to the guards rescue.

fran

Inmates saved deputy's life during attack, sheriff's office says

TAMPA - The detention deputy was sitting at his desk when the inmate attacked. The deputy is 64; the inmate 40 years his junior.

Deputy Kenneth Moon had another disadvantage: He was the sole deputy in a jail pod that houses 62 inmates. The only nearby people who could help him were there because they have been charged with attempted murder, home invasion, drug dealing.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/nov/04/inmates-credited-rescuing-hillsborough-deputy-duri/

Um wow. Good for them. Why in the hell did it take so long for another officer to come to their aid? Amazing

While I'm glad these inmates came to the COs aid and I applaud them for helping and probaly saving his life I do not think that this should be a factor in their trials and sentencing. Some of them have very serious charges against them. Should they be rewarded for doing the right thing?

I have say--I'm not actually all that surprised! I am not currently practicing, but I am an attorney--I practiced primarily in the family law field, but I did my share of criminal defense work, mostly through appointed cases from the local public defenders office. I represented many people who, if you looked solely at their conviction records (or pending criminal charges), might look like scum. Most of my clients had, obviously, some serious flaws--but many (if not most) of my criminal defense clients were flawed, but deep-down-actually-good people.

The inmates who put their own safety at risk to help out their jailer deserve every bit of recognition they get.

While I'm glad these inmates came to the COs aid and I applaud them for helping and probaly saving his life I do not think that this should be a factor in their trials and sentencing. Some of them have very serious charges against them. Should they be rewarded for doing the right thing?

of course they should - like anyone else does when they do 'heroic' things

it won't be a factor in their trials b/c it has nothing to do with their trials & I doubt it will be a factor in sentencing either but it may affect something like early parole as it should just like any other 'good' behaviour is something the parole board considers

this is the kind of thing that should be encouraged in everyone, including prisoners, who are complicated beings just like the rest of society ... good & bad exist in all of us I think

JMO

oh and I forgot to add:

YAY for those people who saved a life!!!

I bet that guard's outlook on life & esp. his job has changed dramatically

Nyla, they didn't have to do anything and it wouldn't have affected their trials at all, but they Chose to help the deputy, with no consideration to themselves. I say this should be a mitigating factor. God bless them for that choice.

I just do NOT see what could have caused the inmate who attacked (with under the influence and another small charge??) to attack Mr. Moon. That added an additional charge. Relatively speaking, the instigator/attacker probably initially had a lesser sentence than any of the inmates that helped out. That's crazy!

And to the poster above who spoke about sometimes deep down people are good but have flaws, I agree. I have met and associated with many people (worked with them as well) who think that's the only answer in life. To rob for what their family needs, to attack to end an argument between rivals.

Now, I do have to say, my stomach turned a little reading the man who failed to register as a sex offender was one of the "hero's" because well, what the charge is, but even in that situation, was he peeing in public or did he hurt a little girl?

Regardless of their pasts, these men put a smile on my face this morning. In a day and time when you can't turn on the news without hearing something heartbreaking, THIS made me smile. :) keep up the good work guys! see, goodness get's you places in life! :)

of course they should - like anyone else does when they do 'heroic' things

it won't be a factor in their trials b/c it has nothing to do with their trials & I doubt it will be a factor in sentencing either but it may affect something like early parole as it should just like any other 'good' behaviour is something the parole board considers

this is the kind of thing that should be encouraged in everyone, including prisoners, who are complicated beings just like the rest of society ... good & bad exist in all of us I think

JMO

I must have read the link wrong I thought it said that this could be a factor in their trials. sorry

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back