Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: FL-Shannon Dedrick 7 Months Found Under Babysitter's Bed ALIVE!! #5

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon View Post
    Not OT at all. I wish I had my picture scanned. I was bald at birth and have my 7-month picture. BIG head, chubby body (I was a 4lb 8 oz preemie and the doctor said to "fatten me up with extra sugar in my formula - 40's logic). I looked like a Bhudda.

Shannon looks a lot like I'm sure we did... with the exception that her eyes are close-set... as with her mom and her body is disproportionate to her head.

There might be some genetic situation there that she's inherited from her mother.

Let's hope and pray that little Shannon gets to live with the best relatives for her own good. I would like to know that her mother is a part of her life.

I'm thinking that the police are hearing two or more stories. One story is from SB... and I don't think her version will be too accurate. I know that she spread viscious lies or half-truths about the parents to CPS, the governor, and probably LE. Who knows what she did to mess with Shannon's mind if indeed she's mentally challenged.

if therFact is, I'm hoping LE checks all the phone records to see e was any communication between the two during this situation. SB could have been calling Tina and feeding her different scenarios.
    I think you are right. (BBM)

I was a bhudda baby too! LOL

I've been looking for this all day. Finally found it.
    Florida DCF Grounds for Termination of Parental Rights:
    http://library.adoption.com/articles...s-florida.html
    I think mother meets several of the criteria.
    So, basically, she may have a mental illness or deficiency, which isn't reason to terminate.
    But, due to the fact that DCF has issued them a case plan in the past, which they obviously did not choose to follow after the file was closed, she could lose her rights. If the department decides that she had the ability and opportunity to stop Shannon from being harmed, she could lose her rights.
    Link also states that all the state is required to do in cases where they intend to immediately file to terminate is to provide the same services in the plan established until the termination. There is no plan in place, mother is entitled to nothing.

I have to know this to sleep. Shannon really did need to be rescued, and now I think she needs to be sent with other family, and she can see her mother at holidays in a supervised environment. Safe, but still in contact. Everybody wins.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    I've been looking for this all day. Finally found it.
    Florida DCF Grounds for Termination of Parental Rights:
    http://library.adoption.com/articles...s-florida.html
    I think mother meets several of the criteria.
    So, basically, she may have a mental illness or deficiency, which isn't reason to terminate.
    But, due to the fact that DCF has issued them a case plan in the past, which they obviously did not choose to follow after the file was closed, she could lose her rights. If the department decides that she had the ability and opportunity to stop Shannon from being harmed, she could lose her rights.
    Link also states that all the state is required to do in cases where they intend to immediately file to terminate is to provide the same services in the plan established until the termination. There is no plan in place, mother is entitled to nothing.

I have to know this to sleep. Shannon really did need to be rescued, and now I think she needs to be sent with other family, and she can see her mother at holidays in a supervised environment. Safe, but still in contact. Everybody wins.

I agree 100%
    I Love You MOM 6/16/32 - 5/30/09

Justice for Travis 5/8/13

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to Life - Sentenced 6/17/11

Justice Denied for Caylee Marie Anthony
    July 5,2011

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeysmommom For This Useful Post:

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...Alive_02610044

snipped

Baby Sitter, Mom Charged in Disappearance of Florida Infant Found Alive

The sheriff said Baker and Mercer both were charged with several felonies, including interfering with child custody, false report of a crime, false report of a missing child and contributing to the delinquency of a child.

Baker also was charged with neglect of a child with aggravating circumstances; Mercer faces additional child desertion charges.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Coldpizza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coldpizza View Post
    http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...Alive_02610044

snipped

Baby Sitter, Mom Charged in Disappearance of Florida Infant Found Alive

The sheriff said Baker and Mercer both were charged with several felonies, including interfering with child custody, false report of a crime, false report of a missing child and contributing to the delinquency of a child.

Baker also was charged with neglect of a child with aggravating circumstances; Mercer faces additional child desertion charges.

I hope they throw the book at Baker.... I hope she gets 200 yrs and no time served this time... Wonder what the maxes are on all her charges??

I hope she isn't out like in 10 yrs or less on being such a grand inmate... Doing para eagle work for other inmates and all ... or giving parent classes..
    Misty Where Is Sweet Haleigh?

Sweet Angel Caylee

Bless All the Little Angels

All I post is IMO

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MommaD For This Useful Post:

I am just sick to think of what SB could of told momTm..... MomTM no doubt is confused.. SB could of told her so many bad stories to get momTM to go along with her.. I am not saying momTM is not wrong in what she did but really.. I hope she gets a little time maybe 80 days and then gets help from her family to put her in some kind of medical treatment to help her.. I don't feel this would of happened at all if not for SB.,.....

But , I don't think momTM has any business with a child ever again tho.. NEVER....

Sweet Angel Caylee

All I post is IMO

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MommaD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon View Post
    Not all that rare! I have pictures of me at 7 months old and bald as a billard ball. My mother feared I'd never grow any hair. I grew in some very great hair, nice and thick.
    Same with my daughter. She didn't really have any hair until about a year...plus it was so blonde she looked like she had no eyebrows or lashes. Now she have very thick curly hair so I don't think it's unusual either.

Does anyone know where the husbands to these woman were during all of this? I am having a hard time understanding why they are not charged with anything?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to swanniee11 For This Useful Post:

Back to the bumpers in the box (I know, old news) I just thought of something. They tell you not to use bumpers in cribs because of the risk of SIDS and/or suffocation. It makes me wonder if putting Shannon into a tiny box like that with bumpers, if SB was hoping that the baby would smother herself on the bumpers, especially with having so little room to move.

Also both my kids were bald as can be at 7 months. I think that's the age when they actually had the least amount of hair. Shannon looks a lot like her mom IMO, just much cuter.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to January. For This Useful Post:

Hi all good morning. First of all reference DCF (I worked for them as a private subcontracted provider for ten years), the bar is higher as far as termination of parental rights or even sheltering a child is the parent is mentally challenged. The State has to prove that all attempts were made in order to keep the family together and go the extra mile as far as these families. I have had several cases where extended time and care was involved. Secondly, reference the charges, I know Glenn Hess (DA) and am very good friends with his primary investigator Dave. There will be NO stone unturned references prosecuting this case. These men are slow, methodical and brilliant. Particularly Dave he is one of the most awesome investigators I have ever met and he will snatch on this case like a pit bull w/a steak. They will spend a long time in jail.
    IMO Dawn

18. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mfcmom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by January. View Post
    Back to the bumpers in the box (I know, old news) I just thought of something. They tell you not to use bumpers in cribs because of the risk of SIDS and/or suffocation. It makes me wonder if putting Shannon into a tiny box like that with bumpers, if SB was hoping that the baby would smother herself on the bumpers, especially with having so little room to move.
    Makes you wonder if SB put her own stepson inside a cedar chest so many years ago, you know... to quiet him up... and he soffocated...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lipin One For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmom View Post
    Hi all good morning. First of all reference DCF (I worked for them as a private subcontracted provider for ten years), the bar is higher as far as termination of parental rights or even sheltering a child is the parent is mentally challenged. The State has to prove that all attempts were made in order to keep the family together and go the extra mile as far as these families. I have had several cases where extended time and care was involved. Secondly, reference the charges, I know Glenn Hess (DA) and am very good friends with his primary investigator Dave. There will be NO stone unturned references prosecuting this case. These men are slow, methodical and brilliant. Particularly Dave he is one of the most awesome investigators I have ever met and he will snatch on this case like a pit bull w/a steak. They will spend a long time in jail.
    IMO Dawn

Good to know that there is someone who is worth their salt working the case (at a higher up level).
    I think reasonable effort has been proven in this case. I fully anticipate reading with great joy that her rights to Shannon have been terminated.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MommaD View Post
    I hope they throw the book at Baker.... I hope she gets 200 yrs and no time served this time... Wonder what the maxes are on all her charges??

I hope she isn't out like in 10 yrs or less on being such a grand inmate... Doing para eagle work for other inmates and all ... or giving parent classes..
    I hope they throw the book at Baker.... I hope she gets 200 yrs and no time served this time... Wonder what the maxes are on all her charges?? I hope she isn't out like in 10 yrs or less on being such a grand inmate... Doing para eagle work for other inmates and all ... or giving parent classes..
    We can hope, but the fact is that there isn't so much as a scratch on Shannon, and she had to have been fed at least fairly regularly while she was being hidden by SB, or she'd have been in no condition to be at the press conference, even after a couple of hours of medical attention.

Contrast this to SB's past criminal child abuse history, in which she was convicted of "assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature" on a little girl in her care, leaving the girl with broken bones among other injuries, and SB served a whopping 80 days in the slammer, even though she was also a prime suspect in the disappearance of the victim's 3 year old brother.

Our "justice" system is SO messed up.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pinkpuddytat For This Useful Post:

This is my first post here so I hope I am doing it right lol! I just wanted yall to know WS have been just amazing finding out things n such. I don't know if it will do any good, but I just emailed Greta Vansustren about how EastCoast and Cleo contacted LE putting the two cases together n such, and I told Greta I believe they are the ones deserving of the REWARD. I asked Greta to look into the matter as ofcourse it is possible we do not know all the lil details of how the whole thing went down.
    I've been lurking the threads since this all began and again just want to say AMAZING SLEUTHING!!!!
    BIG (((((HUGS)))))

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ctipling For This Useful Post:

IMO Dawn

This is music to my ears to read this... Thank you.. But, I do have questions about momTM .. But SB no the book can come flying to her..

Noted: Funny about the pit bull comment as My pit bull w/ a steak, cookie, treat, chili, etcc.. is snatchy.. lol oh but so cute at 165 pounds of pure baby love ....
    Last edited by MommaD; 11-06-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Sweet Angel Caylee

All I post is IMO

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MommaD For This Useful Post:

Particularly Dave he is one of the most awesome investigators I have ever met and he will snatch on this case like a pit bull w/a steak. They will spend a long time in jail.
    IMO Dawn
    I'm not at all convinced TM needs to spend any time in prison at all, unless there are some very important details we don't know. Seems to me she needs to be declared mentally incompetent, and have a legal guardian appointed for her -- preferably her mother -- and hopefully then have TM and Shannon live together with TM's legal guardian. TM is obviously not competent to have unsupervised custody of a child, but it's not clear at all that she had any ill intent towards Shannon.

SB may have been telling all sorts of lies to manipulate her -- like that she'd better give Shannon to SB, otherwise the state would take Shannon away and give her to a stranger and TM would never see her again -- "just give her to me and tell police she disappeared, and then I'll take good care of her and let you see her whenever you want". Then after SB got the baby, she may have warned TM not to tell police anything about the arrangement no matter what, because then "they'll put you in jail and you'll never get to see Shannon again". Remember, we have good reason to believe that TM is not capable of understanding legal complexities, and may well have trusted to SB's explanations of how things would work out. And we also have no reason to believe that TM had any knowledge of SB's criminal child abuse history and/or that she remained the prime suspect in the unsolved disappearance of another child.

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pinkpuddytat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hippy Chick View Post
    I don't want to offend anyone but here is my opinion......I don't think mentally challanged people should have children.This girl I read somewhere had the mind of a 13yo
    13 year olds get bored with things very easily like a new video game or whatever but this is a baby , not a toy. And she certaintly should not have been living with a mentally challanged man without some daily supervision.IMO
    What you wrote is wise, IMO. But I think it should be on a case by case basis. My autistic son has challenges with things like depth perception, but I think he would make an excellent father. He's also doing well in a university, whereas other autistic people wouldn't succeed in that way either. Another plus is that he has a great support team who helps him with his lack in social abilities. If he were the kind who rejected the assistance, he would be in worse shape. But he trusts his family and our help and tries to better himself in the areas he lacks.

So, I think it depends on the person's challenges and how they face them. According to Chanii, Tina rejects assistance and that concerned me from the get-go.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
    www.twitter.com/kimsterws

In memory of Ron Pruitt

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

I am just sick to think of what SB could of told momTm..... MomTM no doubt is confused.. SB could of told her so many bad stories to get momTM to go along with her.. I am not saying momTM is not wrong in what she did but really.. I hope she gets a little time maybe 80 days and then gets help from her family to put her in some kind of medical treatment to help her.. I don't feel this would of happened at all if not for SB.,.....

But , I don't think momTM has any business with a child ever again tho.. NEVER....
    ITA. I was unable to access the net yesterday, and there is just NO WAY I can catch up on all these posts I missed. But I have a lot of ground I want to cover. So forgive me in advance if I am rehashing anything, etc.

First and most importantly, I want to say I am so extremely grateful that baby Shannon was found alive and well. May she find a loving home and never remember what she's been through.

OK, to respond to the above quote. I am not in any way condoning TM's part in this, nor do I think charges should be dropped. I DO however, agree that I think SB has manipulated TM in this situation. Reguardless, any mother who could give her child up like that, especially without doing it legally so that the person taking the child can be checked out as safe, doesn't deserve to be a mother. Whether it is because of her mental issues or not, it doesn't matter. It takes a strong woman to be a mother, and if you can't cut it, you shouldn't have a child that has to suffer because of it. Sorry if my view on that seems harsh.

Next, does anyone else have a bit of an issue with how long it took LE to get to baby Shannon??? Like many of you, I feel the LE couldn't possibly have NOT known about SB before WS found out and made calls. If they were doing their job, they should/would have known long before we did. But if they did, WHY did it take them SOOO long to get to Shannon? I voiced this to my fiance, and he reminded me of a conversation we had about the Cleveland killer. He was wondering why they kept putting off ripping out the walls. I told him that it was basically "red tape" and that was confirmed on news reports. They said they had to get a different warrant that allowed demolition of the house. So my fiance said it was basically the same thing, "red tape" in Shannon's case. I feel that it should be different because in Shannon's case, she may have been (and WAS) still alive. And I also reminded my fiance that SB was convicted of child abuse, and was the main suspect in the disappearance of her 3 year old step-son. If LE even suspected she was there, wouldn't it have been best to get to her as soon as possible???
    How does everyone else feel about this? Thoughts? Agree with my feelings? Disagree?

Lastly, my prayers are going out for Shannon and those who love her and have been scared for her this last week. This little angel has a chance at a good life. I hope she gets it.
    Bring the Missing Home!!!
    Find Kara Kopetsky!!!

God watch over baby Gabriel Johnson
    Tips: gabrieljohnson.tips@gmail.com

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewMommy09 For This Useful Post:

Hello ctipling!!!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

In memory of Ron Pruitt

NewMommy, I agree with what you said about LE taking 5 days to respond when we are looking at it on the surface. However, we do not know what went on behind the scenes. If they weren't allowed to go there by law, I want to know what law prevented them from going because it needs to be changed. Shannon could have died in that box during that time and that is NOT acceptable!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

In memory of Ron Pruitt

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by January. View Post

Also both my kids were bald as can be at 7 months. I think that's the age when they actually had the least amount of hair. Shannon looks a lot like her mom IMO, just much cuter.
    What is used in cribs these days if not bumper pads? Been a while since I had a crib.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to CarrieBean For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Good to know that there is someone who is worth their salt working the case (at a higher up level).
    I think reasonable effort has been proven in this case. I fully anticipate reading with great joy that her rights to Shannon have been terminated.
    If it is proven that Tina was never psychologically fit to care for a baby, I certainly won't get any joy out of it.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarrieBean For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hippy Chick View Post
    I don't want to offend anyone but here is my opinion......I don't think mentally challanged people should have children.This girl I read somewhere had the mind of a 13yo
    13 year olds get bored with things very easily like a new video game or whatever but this is a baby , not a toy. And she certaintly should not have been living with a mentally challanged man without some daily supervision.IMO
    I agree with you, and I was wondering why this baby's grandmother didn't live close enough to the mom to help supervise her care of the baby.
    Baby Shannon is adorable, but I am concerned that she does not seem to smile or show normal expressions like a child that age does. Her eyes look almost dead... like her emotions are almost non-existent. I fear that little angel has endured some pain in her life, that is so sad to me!
    I used to work with mentally challenged persons for several years. They do need supervision on a regular basis, but the states do not have the right to decide which ones are capable of raising children, and they cannot forcefully sterilize them. In fact, things have progressed over the years... they now have the same rights as anyone else. But with those rights, they have to be taught responsibility.
    And then there are the "normal" people to consider... the ones who still don't protect their children or the ones who abuse their children, even kill them. So if we are going to say that mentally challenged people shouldn't have them... wouldn't that same rule need to be applied to the ones who have them and abuse and murder them?
    Just my opinions.

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TxLady2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NewMommy09 View Post
    Next, does anyone else have a bit of an issue with how long it took LE to get to baby Shannon??? Like many of you, I feel the LE couldn't possibly have NOT known about SB before WS found out and made calls.
    I'm sure they knew, but there are so many factors. One, *because* they knew her past, they also knew *she* would know she'd be high on the suspect list, and may have figured the last place she'd have hidden Shannon (dead or alive) was in her own house, since it was so likely to be searched (and I don't think we know for sure that Shannon *was* in that house the whole time she was missing). Also, with Shannon alive, there wasn't a whole lot search dogs could determine re the house, because it was known that Shannon regularly spent time there with her "babysitter", including very recently, so her scent would have been all over the house, even if she wasn't there at the time the dogs were sniffing around.

They may have figured (and possibly correctly, at first) that if SB had Shannon, dead or alive, she had her hidden somewhere else, and were hoping that by leaving SB more or less alone, she'd be more likely to lead them to her. I'm sure they had her under very heavy covert surveillance. At some point, they may have been tipped off that Shannon was alive and in the house, by observing the purchase and transport of baby food or diapers to the house, or, as I suggested on a previous thread, they may have gotten a listening device into or very near the house, and picked up sounds consistent with Shannon periodically being brought out of hiding for feeding and diaper changes. If they had any reasonably solid reason to believe Shannon was in the house, alive, *and* being cared for, given SB's history of violent child abuse and probable role in the unsolved disappearance/presumed murder of another child, they had to be very, very careful not to do anything that would tip off SB that they were on their way to search the house, until they could get themselves physically between SB and Shannon. SB could have *very* quickly killed Shannon (to shut her up and make her easier to keep hidden during a search), and from what we know (and LE knew) of her history, probably wouldn't have hesitated to do that, if she thought it improved her chances of not getting caught.

I'm confused by the delay of approximately 12 hours from the time they got SB and JB to the police station, and the time they went into the house to start doing a thorough search, but I think there must have been a reason. I can't see a judge refusing a search warrant for that long, and they ultimately got permission from SB and JB to search the house (and got a warrant too, but only needed that in order to remove what they found). Maybe they still thought it was likely SB had hidden Shannon somewhere else, and wanted to keep her cooperative and believing that they were still thinking someone else might have been responsible for Shannon's disappearance. Remember they knew that another child who had been in SB's care had disappeared and *never* been found, dead or alive, and that may have been something they were really trying to avoid repeating.

LE had some very scary choices to make, and I'm sure they had to make a lot of tough calls where they weren't sure if they were making the right call. But I really don't think they did anything stupid.
    Last edited by pinkpuddytat; 11-06-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typos

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinkpuddytat For This Useful Post:

What I don't get is we know nothing about the extent of Tina's disability and yet she is already being protected. At this point, we have no verification that there is anything at all wrong with her.
    We also know, if her statement to the neighbor was true, that she has verbal skills and can make herself understood. She has the ability to question her surroundings. she has the ability to question events.

So, if she has these abilities, she has the ability to understand that she was perpetrating a massive lie. Even very young children can understand that if you have to lie about it, you shouldn't be doing it. Which means that she could understand that what she was doing was wrong. This makes her culpable in my mind.

Mother was party to this. All of it. For 5 days, she perpetrated a lie which could have resulted in Shannon's death. She may be less guilty of the abuse itself, but she is still guilty, IMO.

I really am interested in hearing why others think that Shannon should not be permanently removed from her mother's care. I don't want to argue with anybody, I just don't understand the viewpoint, and if someone can explain it, I'm all ears.

ETA: This post has been edited since the information about Tina's bipolar disorder cannot be verified at this time.
    Last edited by not_my_kids; 11-06-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: sneaky commas

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast