Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by January. View Post
    I don't disagree with you, both of my kids used bumpers in their cribs. I'm just saying that bumpers are now being frowned upon because of the SIDS factor. They do make breathable bumpers now which are becoming more and more popular.
    You are right, January. Bumpers were used to prevent kids from getting caught in the slats before we standards were used. Now that we make cribs safer, bumpers are not necessary.

Also, not everyone who has a crib uses it (co-sleep, use a cosleeper, bassinet in the early days). Not everyone magazine photo is reality, and having a bumper in a photo does not mean it's used or that the crib is used. They are decorative at times, much like half the styling on most of those photos. Styled magazine photos are not a good example of reality or at illustrating safety standards. They are for entertainment purposes.

I would not be worried about my kid hitting his head. Never have I heard this to be a problem. Not to mention, once a baby can sit, the head is always around the slats in the bed above the bumper. "According to Health Canada, it is nearly impossible for an infant to hit his or her head hard enough on the crib to cause bruising or injury."

Crib bumper pads are a very common baby product, and parents often use bumper pads thinking they are increasing the safety of their child's crib. However, many health agencies and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) awareness groups are now recommending that parents skip the crib bumper, saying the need for crib bumpers has passed and that using these products may actually put children at greater risk for suffocation or death.
    One reason child safety organizations recommend against crib bumpers is that they pose a risk of suffocation. Just like a pillow or thick blanket, crib bumper pads can restrict a baby's breathing if the bumper is up next to the baby's nose or mouth. Suffocation risk is greatest when babies are very young and unable to move themselves away from potential hazards. Rebreathing of air is another concern with crib bumper pads. The bumper reduces the flow of fresh air around baby during sleep. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that some infants, when they are overheated or lack sufficient oxygen during sleep, are unable to arouse themselves enough to prevent hypoxia and death. The AAP states that re-breathing of air may in fact be a contributing factor to SIDS.
    Since many infant safety organizations now recommend that nothing be inside the crib at all, the safest route for parents and babies would be to remove crib bumper pads altogether. For day care centers, the push for increased sleep safety may soon result in states mandating that child care providers no longer use crib bumper pads. For parents who are still concerned about their child sticking arms and legs through the crib slats, and feel that they must use a bumper pad, there are new mesh crib bumpers on the market today that allow more air to flow through the crib.
    http://babyproducts.about.com/od/rec...mpersafety.htm
    Last edited by mae; 11-10-2009 at 12:08 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mae For This Useful Post:

does anyone know if SB or TM bonded out?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dogmom For This Useful Post:

God be with you Family in Texas - welcome to WS'ers!!!!! Precious Shannon has our prayers and so do you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gma Kat For This Useful Post:

Listen to Baby Shannon 911 Call

Crystina Lynn Mercer's call to report her baby was missing.

http://www.newsherald.com/video/?vid...71892348&wap=0
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Custody Battle Starts Over Shannon Dedrick

<snip>

The baby has been in the care of the Department of Children and Family Services since then.
    Today Circuit Judge Allen Register ruled to keep that arrangement in-place, but Shannon's father, Rusty, is fighting to get his daughter back.

The story of 7-month-old Shannon Dedrick captured the nation's attention last week.
    While her safe rescue was a happy event, the story does not yet have a happy ending.
    A custody battle is now underway.
    "My little girl is the sweetest thing that ever walked, well crawled right now. I love her to death and I'll do anything for her."
    Father Rusty Dedrick says Shannon's arrival earlier this year was a surprise.
    But he couldn't wait for her to arrive.
    "I got all giddy, excited, I was gonna be a dad for the first time."
    He says he quickly became attached to the baby, and it's been difficult for him not to see her everyday.
    That's why he's fighting for custody.
    "She's my little blessing."
    Dedrick is fighting Kandis Boyer for custody.
    Boyer is Shannon's grandmother.

more here

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/69711762.html
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    <snip>

[FONT="Lucida Console"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]
    Dedrick is fighting Kandis Boyer for custody.
    Rusty was in a lot better position than Tina to know Susan Baker's history, since she's HIS aunt. If Tabatha knew about "all that crap way back when", apparently it was known in the family. So I'd say Rusty's track record in selecting babysitters for Shannon leave a lot to be desired. At least he consented to dependency at his hearing. Tina didn't, according to the article. She sounds like she really doesn't have a clue. Her choices are either to claim mental incompetence or face the full weight of criminal charges. Is she imagining she can somehow beat the charges without either consenting to being declared mentally incompetent or being declared to involuntarily? It sounds like her lawyer isn't able to get the basic issues across to her.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pinkpuddytat For This Useful Post:

There has been a document dump for Paul Baker's missing case in Beaufort, South Carolina - Susan Baker was the babysitter in charge of Paul when he went missing. The documents can be viewed here (thanks to SuziQ for prompting the release of these records through the IslandPacket newspaper). After reading these documents and statements it is truly a miracle that Shannon was found alive:

http://media.islandpacket.com/smedia...ffiliate.9.pdf

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to elepher50 For This Useful Post:

"'She had everybody fooled"

<snip>

CHIPLEY — When sheriff’s deputies found Crystina Mercer sitting on a rock outside her trailer, smoking a cigarette and casually wondering where her baby daughter could be, they wondered if it might be a Halloween prank.

Not quite.

A 911 call, released Tuesday, became the latest piece of the case against Mercer and her step-aunt, Susan Baker, whom investigators said conspired to make 7-month-old Shannon Dedrick disappear

Mercer’s report was strange from the moment deputies arrived, as they said she was calm and smoking outside the dirty, roach-infested trailer while the baby’s father, James “Rusty” Dedrick, was distraught, his face streaked with tears.

He didn’t know of the plan, Sheriff Bobby Haddock said. Meanwhile, Baker kept the baby and denied any involvement.

“She had everybody fooled,” Baker’s niece, Tabatha Phillips, said Tuesday in reaction to the arrests. In previous days, she had defended her.

more here

http://www.newsherald.com/news/every...oled-baby.html
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    <snip>

CHIPLEY — When sheriff’s deputies found Crystina Mercer sitting on a rock outside her trailer, smoking a cigarette and casually wondering where her baby daughter could be, they wondered if it might be a Halloween prank.

Not quite.

A 911 call, released Tuesday, became the latest piece of the case against Mercer and her step-aunt, Susan Baker, whom investigators said conspired to make 7-month-old Shannon Dedrick disappear

Mercer’s report was strange from the moment deputies arrived, as they said she was calm and smoking outside the dirty, roach-infested trailer while the baby’s father, James “Rusty” Dedrick, was distraught, his face streaked with tears.

He didn’t know of the plan, Sheriff Bobby Haddock said. Meanwhile, Baker kept the baby and denied any involvement.

“She had everybody fooled,” Baker’s niece, Tabatha Phillips, said Tuesday in reaction to the arrests. In previous days, she had defended her.

more here

http://www.newsherald.com/news/every...oled-baby.html
    The bolded part. That's not correct. Isn't Susan Rusty's Aunt?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    The bolded part. That's not correct. Isn't Susan Rusty's Aunt?
    Ransom you are quite right; Susan Baker is Shannon's not so great, step aunt and Rusty's "step" aunt, not Tina's relative at all.
    Thank you my WS family for everything you do, everyday. You are loved and appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Emma Leigh Barker~
    09/02/07~03/18/09
    ~R.I.P.~

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to LiFE - Sentenced 6/17/11

~~~~~~~~~~~
    jmho as always

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:

OK, I'm confused again (yeah yeah, it happens often). I thought Susan was Rusty's step/half sister.

Originally I thought she is Rusty's aunt by marriage and by step, so no blood and only concidered a "relative" by someone who likes her. Step means no blood, half is 1 blood relative in common.

She's 20 yrs older than he is, I know it happens, but I still think & hope she is the step relative...

I am confused by this family dynamic too, so I could be wrong too.....

If SB and Rusty are half sibs then Shannon is her niece (well half, but that's too technical for our purposes) If She and Rusty are step, she has no relation to Shannon.

This from MySpace:
    Going to church - Having family night - Going to the movies -
    Or just baby sitting my precious great neices and nephews

Her MS, if correct (who knows) her nieces and nephews grew up,
    had kids and now she likes babysitting them...

At least we have it on good authority (Tina's mom Kandis) SB is not related to Tina!!

Last edited by LCoastMom; 11-12-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    Thank you my WS family for everything you do, everyday. You are loved and appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Emma Leigh Barker~
    09/02/07~03/18/09
    ~R.I.P.~

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to LiFE - Sentenced 6/17/11

~~~~~~~~~~~
    jmho as always

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by elepher50 View Post
    There has been a document dump for Paul Baker's missing case in Beaufort, South Carolina - Susan Baker was the babysitter in charge of Paul when he went missing. The documents can be viewed here (thanks to SuziQ for prompting the release of these records through the IslandPacket newspaper). After reading these documents and statements it is truly a miracle that Shannon was found alive:

http://media.islandpacket.com/smedia...ffiliate.9.pdf
    What is missing from the reports released is the comparison of the blood splatter from the pillow, hallway and wall of the master bedroom to the MtDNA samples taken from his sister and mother.

So whose blood was all over the house?? It must have been too small an amount to declare him dead and it must not have had tissue that might have indicated he was deceased....

I wonder why that information was redacted? I want desperately to find this child now and give him a final resting place...I wonder if an when his sister might feel ready to give up what she knows??? There really is no information (independent) as to when he went missing. His father claims to have not seen him since Tuesday and he was called in as missing on Thursday. So I wonder when is the last time he was independently verified as being alive???
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Susan Baker's past is still relevant
    Posted: 07:08 PM ET

Susan Baker
    The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office released 72 pages of reports and documents; painting a more detailed picture of Susan Baker’s criminal past and the disappearance of her 3 year old missing stepson, Paul.

Among the many disturbing details is that at one time Baker’s husband allegedly told authorities he believed she killed his son and threw him in a creek. He later recanted this statement but also said that Baker once beat his other 6 year old child so severely that he had to pull her off of her. Baker also underwent a polygraph but the results were found to be inconclusive according to authorities because baker was obese, under stress, and taking medication. However, it was believed by the technician that Baker was being untruthful. Her husband, on the other hand, flat out failed according to police.

Paul’s disappearance has never been solved, but the cloud of suspicion that hung over the Bakers then is still hovering. Investigators from Beaufort County were present in Chipley, Florida when it was determined that Susan Baker allegedly had a hand in Shannon’s disappearance. They are looking for possible connections to their case that happened 22 years ago. So far none have been made or at least released to the public, but how will Baker’s past affect her future?

Chrystina Mercer’s family believes that Baker manipulated her to participate in a plot that included reporting her baby missing about 10 hours after allegedly handing her over to Susan Baker. “I am still behind my daughter 100 percent and I will do whatever it takes to get her the help she needs,” said Kandis Boyer, Shannon’s maternal grandmother. Boyer has also said that her daughter has a history of mental disabilities. Another family member says she stopped growing mentally and physically at the age of 13.

Luckily baby Shannon has been given a second chance. She is safe, in the custody of the Department of Children and Families. It is unclear how long she will remain there, but her grandmother has expressed wanting to take her back to Texas with her.

Posted by: Natisha Lance
    Filed under: Story Updates

27. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sdw For This Useful Post:

just heard from a newsherald editor-- more info to come:

In the works for the weekend: An update on the Baby Shannon Dedrick case. Look for it Sunday. (May be posted online Saturday evening.)
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast