Ida spurs tropical storm warnings in Caribbean

Dark Knight

Reaction score
MIAMI – Tropical storm warnings have been issued for parts of Mexico and Cuba as Ida rapidly gains strength over Caribbean waters.

A hurricane watch was also issued for part of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.

The warnings were issued for parts of the Yucatan Peninsula and western Cuba. A tropical storm warning was also in effect for Grand Cayman Island.

A tentative forecast track from the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami shows the storm could hit the U.S. Gulf Coast next week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091107/ap_on_re_us/tropical_weather

Wow, hurricane season ends on the 30th of November. Go away Ida we don't need any more disasters this year.

Ahhh....just when you think your safe. Mother Nature is a tricky lil lady.
I'm not too worried, Ida is too late to cause any serious problems imo. But I will be making sure we have candles and all that good junk, jic.

Blech, cat2 now. I'm sooo not in the mood for this (not sure I've ever been in the mood) it's supposed to be heading this way tomorrow night, fun!

NEW ORLEANS – Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal declared a state of emergency Sunday as the Gulf Coast braced for the arrival of Hurricane Ida, which was making its way across the Gulf of Mexico as a Category 2 storm.

A hurricane watch was in effect from southeastern Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle, meaning hurricane conditions were possible in the next day and a half. New Orleans was not included in the watch area.

The emergency declaration is a precaution that frees up state resources for any emergency situations. The National Guard and state agencies have been put on high alert so personnel and vehicles are available if needed.

Coastal stretches of southeast Louisiana, particularly areas outside levee protection, are the main concern. Forecasts indicate those areas could see winds, rains and high tides that could create localized flooding.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tropical_weather

Ida better stay away from Tampa Bay....

I am having surgery on Tuesday and this is my first "Hurricane Season" in my new home. I do not know what to expect here should she move to the Western part of the Gulf.

The old place I lived in for 15 years I could batten down the hatch with my eyes closed.

Ugh...I live on Mobile Bay. I hope we don't flood. This is really late in the season to have to deal with a storm.

Just a gentle reminder to anyone in the storm's path to remember your pets when making storm prep. There are tons of pet-friendly hotels. Here is a link to a site where you can enter your destination and find hotels that allow pets.

http://www.petswelcome.com/

You may be required to show proof of rabies, so be sure to take your pet's rabies vac. certificate, any meds they may need, and a supply of food.

Stay safe everyone!

We're now under a hurricane watch here. Hopefully, Ida won't be too bad. Another storm with an I, but definitely not expected to be like Ivan:)

I don't think it's going o be too bad. We are under a hurricane warning here. The thing that bothers me the most...my sons school is still open! The neighboring counties west of us are having only half days, and they are just under a hurricane watch. And the best part....his whole school is nothing but portable buildings, 2 miles from the gulf, and even closer to another river/waterway!! Yeah...I'm keeping hm home, jic.

Hey Georgia,

If you haven't noticed it's pouring outside, hopefully not inside for some of you folks, Winds are expected to pick up tonight and hopefully tomorrow we will see the sun again. Stay dry.

I'm in VA and we're having a Nor Easter thanks to Ida. Rain and high winds. Won't stop til Sunday. :0(

Thank God the worst did not happen! People can deal with rain and winds with minor damage much better than total devastation. I am so thankful Ida did not turn into another Katrina!

I'm in VA and we're having a Nor Easter thanks to Ida. Rain and high winds. Won't stop til Sunday. :0(

I just heard that Va. Beach is getting it now. Hope you and your family stay safe, lizzybeth!

At least it is no hurricane.

Yeah, we can be thankful for that. It's horrible. I made it into work today but now I'm afraid to drive back home. I went through a couple of places that I know will be completely flooded before it's time to go home. I'd leave but I can't afford to.

The winds are about 45-50 and the rain is non-stop. I think I heard this morning that high tides are running about 13 inches above normal. I think I heard that right. I'll feel blessed if we don't suffer any damage (to property and lives) and if my power stays on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back