948 users online (195 members and 753 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha

PLEASE READ!! Here Is Your Chance To Really Do Something. Billy's Law

Websleuths Member misheley26 has put a lot of her time and effort into getting this bill out on the web for people to read and act on. Please take the time to read it and do your part. By you taking 60 seconds of your time you could change the law to help find the missing.

Thank you to misheley26 for bringing this to our attention. We are proud to have you as a member.

Websleuths Members & Guests, Please Help! Less Than 1 Minute Of Your Time Can Make All The Difference for the Missing and their Families!

H.R. 3695, also known as The Help Find The Missing Act (Billy's Law)
    is now before the US House of Representatives. It will help close the gaps in the uniform reporting of missing persons, no matter who they are, in order to expedite investigations and identifications if passed. Click here to view this very important bill.

Having received Tricia's approval, I'm asking that you submit your name, email and mailing address right now, while the bill is before the house, by clicking here. When you do, a letter will be sent to your Federal Congressman asking that he/she support the bill. You don't even have to sign up for an account to just enter these 4 things. 5,000 people are needed so please copy/paste content about this bill into an email to everyone you know.

H.R. 3695 is endorsed by: National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, Doe Missing Persons Network, Families of Homicide Victims and Missing Persons, Inc., National Center for Forensic Science, Forensic Science Technology Center, National Order of Police, National Associations of Police Organizations (NAPO) click here to see their letter, Peace4TheMissing, Please Help Find The Missing Group, Project EDAN, Connecticut Department of Public Safety, Fraternal Order of Police, National Associations of Police Organizations (NAPO), Connecticut Department of Public Safety, Center for Hope, CUECENTER, LostNMissing Inc., Sponsored by Representatives Chris Murphy (D-CT) and Ted Poe (R-TX) and Cosponsored by Walt Minnick (ID-I), Ed Whitfield (R-KY)

An Overview of H.R. 3695 The Help Find The Missing Act (Billy's Law)
    Every year tens of thousands of Americans go missing, never to be seen by their loved ones again. Additionally, there are also an estimated 40,000 sets of unidentified human remains that are being held or disposed of across the country. Sadly, because of gaps in the nation's missing persons systems, missing persons and unidentified remains are rarely matched. The Help Find the Missing Act (Billy's Law) is an effort to fix these gaps. We want to help families to have the resources so that we can lessen the burden on the system as well as bringing loved ones home for a proper burial.

This legislation is named after Billy Smolinski of Waterbury, Connecticut who went missing on August 24, 2004 at the age of 31. Billy's family knows all-too-well the systemic challenges in trying to find the missing. They quickly learned that while federal law mandates law enforcement report missing children, there are no such requirements for adults - or unidentified bodies. Compounding this problem is the fact that local law enforcement agencies, medical examiners, and coroners, often don't have the resources or training to voluntarily report these cases. Finally, even when missing adults and remains are reported, the wide-range of unconnected federal, state, local, and non-profit databases to help match the missing with unidentified bodies, makes finding a match an often insurmountable challenge.

Billy’s Law builds upon recent efforts to address these issues by:
    • Authorizing, and therefore helping to ensure funding for, the National Missing Persons and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs), which was created in July 2007 by the Department of Justice (DOJ) to provide a missing persons/unidentified database that the public could access and contribute;

• Connecting NamUs with the FBI’s National Crime Information Center (NCIC) in order to create more comprehensive missing persons and unidentified remains databases and streamlining the reporting process for local law enforcement;

• Creating an incentive grants program to help states, local law enforcement and medical examiners/coroners report missing persons and unidentified remains to NCIC, NamUs, and the National DNA Index System (NDIS);

• Calling on the DOJ to issue guidelines and best practices on handling missing persons and unidentified remains cases in order to empower law enforcement, medical examiners and coroners to help find the missing.
    Below is part of an email that I received from a wonderful woman and now, a good friend...Jan, Billy's mother. She's refering to the number of people who've completed their information.
    "...notice there are more new endorsements. There are MORE! YIPEEEE!"

She sent the email when only 64 had entered their information and there it remains at last check. Her excitement is beautiful...it is excitment that maybe these
    improvements will help families in the future; families that share something in common...a loss no one should ever have to know.

But we need many more (a minimum of 5000) so please help make the difference by telling your congressman that you want them to support this bill and copy/paste the content about this bill into an email and sent to everyone you know.

Thank you.

If you have any difficulty in getting redirected to any of the below by clicking on the underlined (and hyperlinked) text above, you can copy/paste the following into your browser address bar...
    View H.R. 3695 The Help Find the Missing Act (Billy's Law) at http://tinyurl.com/BillHR3695
    Enter your information to support the bill at http://criminaljustice.change.org/actions/view/support_for_hr_3695_the_help_find_the_missing_act_ billys_lawView
    View the National Association of Police Organization's (NAPO) Endorsement Letter at http://tinyurl.com/NAPO-HR3695

Last edited by Tricia; 11-08-2009 at 04:35 AM.
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

OR

I am having trouble with the website, anyone else?

jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    I had no problems with the website. I signed it number 344. i hope they get the 5000 needed.

Thx Tricia for bringing it on here.

I signed

Thank you so much for posting this.

No problems here...#347

Tried sending you a pm or message but you don't receive either. I'm not sure what the problem is but I can try to help - You can email me at misheley26@cox.net It took me about 40 secs. And...thanks for signing girls. Hopefully people will put some urgency to this and we'll see the improvements that are desperately needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiogirl View Post
    I am having trouble with the website, anyone else?
    Last edited by LetJusticePrevail; 11-10-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Want to Make a Difference? Here's Your Chance! Click HERE to Support Help Find the Missing Act - Billy's Law

I am new here and this is my first post, sorry in advance if these questions have already been answered. Can multiple people in the same household sign this? Also, is it okay to post a link on my Facebook page?

Quote Originally Posted by Jory View Post
    I am new here and this is my first post, sorry in advance if these questions have already been answered. Can multiple people in the same household sign this? Also, is it okay to post a link on my Facebook page?
    On the second page, you push "Thanks" and it takes you to an option of linking it to your Facebook account.

Thank you misheley26 and Tricia for bringing this to our attention, just submitted.

I signed the petition. Thanks for posting and misheley26 for your hard work...my fingers are crossed for this bill to pass!!!

Tricia you are a knockout! In your photo you look like you have lost a lot of weight.

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

Ø My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

To all who've signed, Thank You! Tricia, you do have it goin on in your office pic! And, I cannot thank you enough for the support you've put behind this. I have always felt so grateful to have found WS...a group of compassionate people.

To All About Facebook - if you want to be friends, look for me (Michelle Carter, CT). Jan posts on my wall...things that should really sink in for people but sadly #'s are low. She's listed under Janice Smolinski if you'd like to send her a note or befriend her.

About Myspace - you can embed the 'take action' box into your page (see my myspace page left side. You'll find me by searching for Michelle Carter, 38, CT)

Jory, happy posting! Your cat and dog can sign if they type! We are very far off from that 5000 target so encourage everyone and anyone to sign.

All, garnering support has been a very enlightening experience - one that is extremely sad because I've realized people ignore what doesn't directly effect them. No one ever thinks it will happen to them - I just cannot take that risk. If anyone needs help with linking/embedding into myspace...anything to promote this, please just pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jory View Post
    Last edited by LetJusticePrevail; 11-11-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Want to Make a Difference? Here's Your Chance! Click HERE to Support Help Find the Missing Act - Billy's Law

Thank you misheley26 for the hard work getting this done. I've signed this very important petition and plan on forwarding it to all my local friends to do the same.

This is really important, I hope everyone signs it, and gets the word out to others.

Done.

I think we need a banner up that says this is for help in finding the missing or something. We haven't gotten many signatures in the last couple of days?

Salem

Added my signature. Thanks for posting this. I was not aware of that website. It has some really good info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast