Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I added mine also. HTH!!!
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

As Tricia stated in her email regarding the support Marc had initially received from Websleuths for Trucker TV, I'd also hoped for tremendous support through our voice. I thank those that have and wanted to let you know that Billy's mother, Jan Smolinski has been invited and will be testifying as to the urgency of this legislation in front of congress in DC on 12/15. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that the site continues to receive signatures - to date, it's quite a sad state of affairs that are reflecting in those extremely low numbers.

We need to be accountable to our nation's people - we need to reinforce this is a silent epidemic that no one is immune to.

Thanks again for your support. I sent a bang up letter to Marc for the trucker TV initiative! Michelle
    Want to Make a Difference? Here's Your Chance! Click HERE to Support Help Find the Missing Act - Billy's Law

If this were u, wouldn't u stop at nothing?

Could you imagine if you were in this position?

From Jan Smolinski, Billy's mom:

Never in my wildest dreams thinking back before Billy went missing, would I think that I would one day stand in a Police Department and be finger printed (by the way the officer printed each finger twice in black ink) while being read my rights, then off to the camera for a mug shot. Out of body experience? You better believe it. Hardened criminal (criminal tresspass 1st degree) for hanging a flyer of my missing son? I confess. Hurt and betrayed by the authorities? YES
    What would Billy say?
    WAY TO GO MOM!!
    I CARRIED HIM NINE MONTHS, RAISED HIM, WIPED HIS TEARS WHEN HE HAD BUMPS AND BRUISES. KEPT HIM FROM HARM. NO DOUBT --HE IS COMING HOME TO HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS. NO REST TILL IT HAPPENS. THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE!

As I write this, 641 people (# is comprised of US citizens & a handful of international) have signed the petition page at the link in the 1st post.

This thread has been viewed 650 times so let's say all of those views are unique, not duplicates of a member visiting more than once (I won't even subtract out my close to 10 visits - we'll keep it at 650)...this would mean that all 641 signers are WS members. While I'd love to believe that, a greal deal of push has been requested from other orgs/people/agencies (i.e. USA Today just interviewed Jan's family for an article they're running on this bill, Jan will be testifying to the house judiciary subcommittee pleading they pass this bill - this is a level most bills do not get past).

While it seems just the opportunity to help improve our nation's missing persons system would require no plea for 1 minute of a person's time, sadly the numbers reflect VERY differently.

Tricia's built a tremendous home where thousands of caring hearts come together here a Websleuths. So would you please spare 1 minute of your time to help. Just click to go directly to the page for signing.
    Last edited by LetJusticePrevail; 12-08-2009 at 11:34 AM.
    Want to Make a Difference? Here's Your Chance! Click HERE to Support Help Find the Missing Act - Billy's Law

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LetJusticePrevail For This Useful Post:

Cubby is online now 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    I signed and added the info to my SP forum.

No problem here. went through great!!!
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

When is the deadline? There are 677 sigs now.

Watch Kesse's & Smolinski's testify in DC 2morrow
    The Smolinski's and Kesse's will be testifying in DC tomorrow. Their testimony will be in support of improving systems for locating the missing and more specifically to ask the subcommittee that's currently reviewing HR3695, The Help Find the Missing Act (Billy's Law) to recommend it pass into legislation.

The session is slated to begin at 10:15AM. You can tune into the session by going to this link http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/calendar.html and clicking on the "Watch Video Broadcast" bug!

A large push has been in play to get the subcommittee members who sit on this group to attend - they are not required even though you'd hope they'd make it a priority...

Please contact your federal congressman and ask that they co-sponsor this bill if improving systems for locating the missing and unidentified is important to you. If you do not have the name of your federal congressman, I can let you know who it is. I also have an excel spreadsheet with the names of all congressman and their direct phone numbers. BTW, there are 425+ US Federal congressman - we've managed to get close to 15 to commit to co-sponsoring. If the bill doesn't pass, it is not for lack of trying - it is for lack of momentum and public outreach assistance to say 'We have had it and we want human beings to take priority'. The process for getting a bill through legislation is long - someone asked if there's a deadline. There isn't...but shouldn't there be! Make the deadline today and get on the phone to your congressman. They are here to be our voice or so we're told.
    Michelle

Time change late tonight

Tomorrow's (Thurs, 1/21) testimony will now begin at 11AM EST vs 10:15. Here's the link again in case you'd like to tune in to watch the Smolinski's and Kesse's testify!

http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/calendar.html

Jan's Testimony

begins about 2ish minutes in...after a bit of a set up. This woman is AMAZING. Let's get this passed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56e0s65hjD0
    Last edited by KateB; 04-06-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

The Help find the missing act (billy’s law) must be passed, why?

In order to better serve families of missing persons, The Help Find the Missing Act (Billy’s Law) was initiated by the mother of missing Billy Smolinski, Jan Smolinski. Billy’s Law was quickly and unanimously passed through the House of Representatives and is now in the Senate. We need EVERYONE to move quickly to contact the 2 Senators of your home state and all of the Senators on the Senate Judiciary Committee to support and back this bill which will be of benefit to all families of missing persons.

What will Billy’s Law do? It will create incentives for all law enforcement agencies, medical examiners and coroners to be trained in how to properly process all missing persons cases, as well as enter the data into the NamUs system which was created by the Dept. of Justice.

The bill would authorize the sharing of information from the National Crime Information Center database to the NamUs database, therefore, increasing the number of case resolutions and potentially bringing answers to families of missing persons all across our country. Currently there are over 40,000 unidentified remains in our country and this database will aid in making matches to current missing persons, allowing families to know what happened to their loved one.

For the list of Senators on the Judiciary Committee, along with addresses, phone numbers, and information on Billy’s Law, gathered in one place, please go to Peace4 the Missing (peace4missing.ning.com) Many professional members, along with Jan Smolinski ,are there working diligently to keep us updated on the progress, providing information and sample letters, and letting everyone know what to do next to insure that Billy’s Law passes in the Senate and goes on to be signed by the President.

This is a letter that is very well done for you to use when writing to your Senators . Created by Becky Castillo

NOTE: Remember this is a sample letter, All the facts are here use some of it, part of it, and in some cases if you have to use it all. In the letter you will see (Insert your personal story ) make sure you do this, when you are finished have it be your own.

Also in the Senate this Bill is S3019 this must be used in your letter.

Senator

I am writing this letter in support of pending legislation, Billy’s Law
    (S3019). According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, over 4,000
    unidentified remains are discovered each year.

After one year, 1,000 of these bodies remain unidentified. With tens of
    thousands of people reported missing each year, it is likely that a
    family member, friend, or loved one is looking for that unidentified
    person and simply can’t find them due to the absence of a cooperative
    effort by law enforcement across the country.

Some law enforcement agencies have a
    lackadaisical attitude when they receive a report for the “voluntarily
    missing” and often there is very little effort to search for them. The
    problem is when the case goes long term. If there is any follow-up at
    all, often it is long after the initial report. Often those long term
    cases have not been resolved because the missing person has died and
    their remains lay unidentified in a county morgue or cemetery.

(Insert personal story)

The problem we face is there is no national protocol in play to assist
    investigators to bridge the gap between missing persons and unidentified
    persons cases.

The Help Find the Missing Act will bridge the gap.

The National Missing Persons and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) is
    by far becoming one of the best ways for the public and law enforcement
    agencies across the country to work together to help bring missing loved
    ones home! Since its launch in June of last year, the database of
    unidentified decedents and missing persons has proved essential in
    solving 16 cases. With the passing of Billy’s Law, this number only
    stands to grow. Unfortunately, without the funding of Billy’s Law not
    all law enforcement agencies are able to allocate the resources
    necessary to use the NamUs system.

The passing of Billy’s Law would make it possible for agencies across
    the country to input information on their unidentified decedents,
    increasing the number of case resolutions and potentially bringing
    closure to families of missing persons all across our country.

I support this funding and hope that you do as well. I respectfully urge
    you to pass S3019 when it comes before you.

Respectfully,

If WE don't act NOW, all will be lost. Time is running out and there will never be an opportunity to have another Help Find the Missing Act (Billy's Law)

PLEASE go to the link for Peace4 the Missing ("Command Central") and contact your Senators today! We only have until the end of July to get their support and Co-Sponsorship!

3 Simple Steps to Help Find the Missing - Billy's Law
    http://peace4missing.ning.com/forum/...s-to-help-find

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peki51 For This Useful Post:

Thank you for bringing this back to the attention of WS.
    Can we do the vote more than 1 time?
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

15. The Following User Says Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

Billy Smolinski, CT...murdered & missing

6 years since Billy went missing. Wishing for answers so his family can have him home, give him a proper burial and have justice served.

Please keep them in your prayers.

Watch news coverage of the vigil that was held to honor him as the family approaches this 6 year mark.
    http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l..._Hartford.html

http://www.courant.com/videobeta/786...Smolinski-8-22

And please take a minute to help get Help Find the Missing (Billy's Law) passed through the senate -- click my sig link below.

I have a petition regarding Tara Calico. PLease sign it! Also, if someone could direct me to whereI can find a discussion about her. I am new here and don't see a search option.
    Here is the petition.Please share!
    http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...of-tara-calico

I am all on your side! Unfortunately my vote can't count. I am not from America!!!!
    I am sending you all positive energy I have......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast