Garrido's Attorneys

my2sisters

Reaction score
Judge Orders Garrido Lawyer Off Case

Court documents don't say why Maines was removed, but the decision was made the day after the court received unspecified "confidential evidence". Phimister ordered the records sealed.

What type of information would this be?

I read that Maines is not a public defender but a court-appointed, panel attorney. I don't understand the difference.

I have no idea what the difference is, but I have a sneaking suspicion this occured due to ng's request, perhaps motivated by pg.

Nancy Garrido's Lawyer Removed from Case

http://www.news10.net/news/article.aspx?storyid=70104&provider=top&catid=188

Defense lawyer Gilbert Maines was removed from the case last Thursday by judge Douglas Phimister following a closed-court meeting between the judge, Garrido, Maines, and court security and staff, according to the minute order of the meeting on the court's Web site.

There's a short video on the topic (I must have missed it before - what is Nancy doing here? It looks like fake wretching around) A commentator, defense attorney, says the relationship between Nancy and her attorney broke down and as I suspected he says some chance Phillip Garrido had something to do with it. Nancy's attorney had laid out her defense as being a victim of Phillip's...

minute order of the meeting (doesn't tell me much, but here it is)
http://garrido.eldoradocourt.org/docs/nancy/20091105-MinOrd-ConfEvid.pdf

There's a short video on the topic (I must have missed it before - what is Nancy doing here? It looks like fake wretching around) A commentator, defense attorney, says the relationship between Nancy and her attorney broke down and as I suspected he says some chance Phillip Garrido had something to do with it. Nancy's attorney had laid out her defense as being a victim of Phillip's...

She was sobbing, I saw it before, it's here somewhere???

Wow, I would think that the only chance for defense that ng had, was the control by pg. This will be interesting, especially considering the confidential information!!

Sunnie, I agree... I guess we will eventually know the full story. I wonder if the confidential information is a psychological report?

I have no idea what the difference is, but I have a sneaking suspicion this occured due to ng's request, perhaps motivated by pg.
I did not know those 2 had contact, I would imagine that keeping them separated they would get far more information out of them then if they allow those two to mingle in anyway.
I had assumed they would keep them apart (not just by a Cell). If they wrote to each other I would imagine that security would read it first. just thinking......

Not usually the conspiracy theorist, but you pay off a guard, give him a message, he calls a buddy on a different floor, pod or prison and your message gets through. Happens fairly often.

I am very suspicious about why the record should be sealed....

I did not know those 2 had contact, I would imagine that keeping them separated they would get far more information out of them then if they allow those two to mingle in anyway.
I had assumed they would keep them apart (not just by a Cell). If they wrote to each other I would imagine that security would read it first. just thinking......

My only thought on this is that criminals seem to have a LOT of rights. I would think they could write to each other, even if they can't talk to each other. I do wonder if something happened between the two lawyers (ng and pg's) and pg found out something he didn't like.

Not usually the conspiracy theorist, but you pay off a guard, give him a message, he calls a buddy on a different floor, pod or prison and your message gets through. Happens fairly often.
:waitasec: Don't they need money to pay someone?
I actually wonder how he got out of jail so early in the first time, years ago? I wonder about how he
escaped LE for 18 years? I wonder if he is not ALLOWED to fall through the Cracks because HE perhaps
knows of other lurid thing in higher places. just thinking :waitasec:
And yes if they are communicating definitely PG is running the show.

:waitasec: Don't they need money to pay someone?
I actually wonder how he got out of jail so early in the first time, years ago? I wonder about how he
escaped LE for 18 years? I wonder if he is not ALLOWED to fall through the Cracks because HE perhaps
knows of other lurid thing in higher places. just thinking :waitasec:
And yes if they are communicating definitely PG is running the show.

he got that letter to jaycee out thru some reporter.
i dont see how they can stop this guy from getting it out some other way.
hes manipulating the situation just like he always has

he got that letter to jaycee out thru some reporter.
i dont see how they can stop this guy from getting it out some other way.
hes manipulating the situation just like he always has

Just so long as no one gives him a guitar and a tape recorder!!! :sick:

My only thought on this is that criminals seem to have a LOT of rights. I would think they could write to each other, even if they can't talk to each other. I do wonder if something happened between the two lawyers (ng and pg's) and pg found out something he didn't like.
That makes sense to me, I was thinking it too.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/2321800.html

New lawyer appointed for Nancy Garrido

sstanton@sacbee.com
Published: Thursday, Nov. 12, 2009 - 1:49 pm

A judge in Placerville this morning appointed a veteran defense attorney to represent accused kidnapper Nancy Garrido on an interim basis, apparently rejecting her first attorney's request that he be reinstated.

The move, outlined in court documents that indicate the order was issued this morning, makes Stephen A. Tapson of Placerville her court-appointed lawyer at least until a Nov. 30 hearing on the matter is held.

Reached at his office this afternoon, Tapson confirmed that he had been appointed but declined to comment further, other than to say "I don't know but we'll see" when asked if he wanted to stay on as Garrido's defense lawyer.

Garrido's previous court-appointed attorney, Gilbert Maines, was removed by Judge Douglas Phimister last week in a closed hearing after the judge received "confidential information," court records state. Maines has not responded to a request for comment.

The nature of the confidential information and the reason for Maines' removal is not explained in the documents, which note that records of the hearing were sealed.

But court documents filed today indicate that the judge had received an envelope from Maines on Tuesday marked "Confidential Eyes Only Hon. Judge D. Phimister from G. E. Maines."

The documents also indicated the judge had read a memo and declaration from Maines and apparently denied his request to continue as Garrido's lawyer.

Instead, Phimister appointed Tapson and indicated he had informed the El Dorado County Jail of the change so Tapson could contact Garrido there.

Garrido, 54, is accused along with her husband, Phillip, 58, of kidnapping 11-year-old Jaycee Lee Dugard in 1991 when she was 11 and holding her captive for 18 years.

Both defendants have pleaded not guilty to rape, kidnap and other charges that could send them to prison for life.

Not sure of the most appropriate thread for this. They speak briefly with Garrido's attorney, though.

http://www.kcra.com/news/21633706/detail.html

PLACERVILLE, Calif. --
The trial against Phillip and Nancy Garrido could be moved to Sacramento, Stockton or Modesto, as finding impartial jurors could be difficult in Placerville, according to a former deputy district attorney.

Not sure of the most appropriate thread for this. They speak briefly with Garrido's attorney, though.

http://www.kcra.com/news/21633706/detail.html

PLACERVILLE, Calif. --
The trial against Phillip and Nancy Garrido could be moved to Sacramento, Stockton or Modesto, as finding impartial jurors could be difficult in Placerville, according to a former deputy district attorney.

no issues with them moving the trial.
i dont care if they hold the trial in siberia. he's not gonna get a sympathetic jury anywhere.

no issues with them moving the trial.
i dont care if they hold the trial in siberia. he's not gonna get a sympathetic jury anywhere.

Trying not to nitpick here, but it is not a jury's job to be sympathetic (THANK GOD), it is their job to be impartial and fair. That being said, this case has gotten so much publicity, I think the venue change wouldn't matter one way or the other, and I'd actually be surprised to see it moved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back