Thread: UK - Elizabeth Swann, 23, Birmingham England, 1974

UK - Elizabeth Swann, 23, Birmingham England, 1974

Well, with a bit of encouragement from polywog, I thought I'd start a thread about Elizabeth Swann, who went missing whilst supposedly hitchiking from Birmingham to Gloucester in the UK in 1974. Here are a couple of links that give a bit of info:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1667dfuk.html

http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/arey...l.asp?dsid=366
    'Curiosity is, in great and generous minds, the first passion and the last.' Dr Samuel Johnson

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitbits For This Useful Post:

More links

polywog found this link from an apparent family member who is looking for her:

http://www.missing-you.net/people/el...ann-113820.php

And I also found a journalist's blog that mentions her & some comments with speculation that she could have been a victim of Fred & Rosemary West, which is one of my personal theories:

http://elleeseymour.com/2007/07/03/t...izabeth-swann/
    'Curiosity is, in great and generous minds, the first passion and the last.' Dr Samuel Johnson

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitbits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kitbits View Post
    polywog found this link from an apparent family member who is looking for her:

http://www.missing-you.net/people/el...ann-113820.php

And I also found a journalist's blog that mentions her & some comments with speculation that she could have been a victim of Fred & Rosemary West, which is one of my personal theories:

http://elleeseymour.com/2007/07/03/t...izabeth-swann/
    The Wests was the first thing that I thought of when I saw the words "hitchiking" and "Gloucester"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

Hey Kitbit, good that you started a thread about poor Elizabeth Swann!
    I have just read about the Wests: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_West[/ame]
    It is chilling, and it seems very likely that she could have been a victim.

I am wondering if it's kosher to contact Vanessa Swann to tell her about this thread? Just a thought. The articles about ES's disappearance aren't detailed as to what's been done already in the search, like if they tried looking in Australia, or whether she could have run away (sounds unlikely, but who knows?).

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polywog For This Useful Post:

Hi, badhorsie & polywog...

Yes badhorsie, that was the first thing that popped into my head, too...& then when I recently watched a prog on the Crime & Investigation channel, they interviewed the woman who luckily escaped them. That's how she had met them in the first place. They offered her a ride & of course, she thought, oh a nice couple, it should be ok Well, if I recollect, it was around the same time that Elizabeth went missing...definitely early-mid 70s.

polywog, thank you for urging me

I was wondering exactly the same about Vanessa. I shall ask an admin for an opinion...it's a good idea!

both...in addition to the evil Wests, I've been lately thinking about that evil Peter Tobin...badhorsie, you'll know--he's the one that killed that poor Polish girl, Angelika Kluk, in Glasgow in 2006 & that subsequently they've linked to the disppearance/murder of Vicky Hamilton & now he's to be tried in the murder of Dinah McNicol. I was watching, I think Scottish BBC News a couple of weeks ago & authorities are now thinking he might have been a serial killer in Glasgow in the late 1960s dubbed 'Bible John'. here's a link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1760235.ece

His ex-wife said that they met in a Glasgow dancehall, which is mentioned...he used to go there often. And she said he was violent towards her.

Who knows what else he's responsible for, but if he really did start in the 60s, I wouldn't be surprised if he's linked to more throughout the decades.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kitbits For This Useful Post:

Missing in 1974 at age 23, makes her around 58 at present.

I'd like to know if there is DNA in CODIS. Dentals. Exact Bday. Scars, tattoos, piercings, broken bones, any operations.

I rec'd a post on my profile about contacting family. If they are posting in public I see know reason why not ask them such questions or IMO best bet is call investigating agency, see what can be found out.
    Last edited by christine2448; 11-19-2009 at 09:31 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christine2448 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post

I'd like to know if there is DNA in CODIS. Dentals. Exact Bday. Scars, tattoos, piercings, broken bones, any operations.

I rec'd a post on my profile about contacting family. If they are posting in public I see know reason why not ask them such questions or IMO best bet is call investigating agency, see what can be found out.
    Thanks, Christine--I will send out enquiries over the next few days.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kitbits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post

That's great Kitbits, let us know what happened...
    BTW I had a bad hitchhiking experience in 1979 and wondered lately about the Wests, but it was only a man in the van, He!! did I get out and run
    England's dancing days are done...

Quote Originally Posted by badhorsie View Post
    That's great Kitbits, let us know what happened...
    BTW I had a bad hitchhiking experience in 1979 and wondered lately about the Wests, but it was only a man in the van, He!! did I get out and run
    will do, badhorsie...and eeeeeeeeee! glad you did, there are loads of baddies out there. i did too...a couple of times in 79/80, but in the US...man, can't believe how stupid i was. we are 2 very lucky souls!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kitbits For This Useful Post:

ok, I've sent a reply via that website to Vanessa, but haven't heard anything back yet. Will keep you all posted!

well...my message to Vanessa bounced back & the reason given is a full mailbox. I don't know if it means her email inbox or her account mailbox. Regardless, it makes me think that she has received a fair few responses about Elizabeth. hmmmmm
    Last edited by kitbits; 11-30-2009 at 06:35 AM.

There is an appeal going on re. Peter Tobin--badhorsie, you may have seen it on Crimewatch or in the news. Anyway, I'm going to send them a comment re. Elizabeth Swann. Not sure where Tobin was in 74, but he was not in jail & he might have been in the Midlands, who knows. I'll let you know if I hear anything back. Here is the site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/crimewatch/appe...er_tobin.shtml

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kitbits For This Useful Post:

Please let me know if you hear anything, The Tobin case disturbs me no end...

Please let me know if you hear anything, The Tobin case disturbs me no end...
    hi, badhorsie...haven't heard a peep about this

Did you see that they are now looking into the possiblity that he was linked to a paedophile ring??? Husband told me that yesterday...haven't had a chance to read up on it. Been so busy with work & all sorts.

I expect we will be hearing bits and pieces in the coming months. I'll keep a look out & definitely let everyone know!

Did you watch the documentary about him? eeeuuuw, nasty man

Did you watch the documentary about him? eeeuuuw, nasty man
    eeee no! When was that on & which channel?

Will check and find you a link, about 2 weeks ago, on a monday I think... BRB

Woman tells of Peter Tobin sex attack 40 years on

Angry

Former homes of Peter Tobin searched in Brighton
    More at link;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10598151.stm

29. The Following User Says Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

Former homes of Peter Tobin searched in Brighton
    More at link;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10598151.stm
    I saw that on tonight's news...urgh...

Police search garage at another former home of Peter Tobin...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-11604968

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

My first thought was the Wests, but badhorsie makes a god point about Peter Tobin. The problem is that getting into what amounts to a moving steel locked box with a stranger is so dangerous that it could just be a horrible coincidence. Both the Wests and Tobin had been killing for tweny years before they were not only caught, but anybody realised there was a seriel killer on the loose so who knows what other seriel killers are out there.
    What I find strange about this case is how difficult it is to get info. Despite the link to the Wests there is hardly any mention of her. I would have thought the media would have jumped all over a possible "new" West victim. Although if she is a victim of the Wests, she was obviously not buried in their house, and it brings up the foul possibility there is another burial ground with more victims.

Im new to this site, but have had an avid interest in mispers cases for around 22 years. Elizabeth's Swann's case has always stayed in my mind, I believe she was one of Fred Wests unknown victims. Sadly, her case gets no publicity. In 2005 I did email the Missing Persons Bureau (probably not been called that for a long time sorry!) and they did say they had suspicions that it could have been a Fred West case. They're also in touch with Elizabeth's daughter, who I believe was a child when her mum went missing. Brit1981, Freds son Stephen told the police he'd found a possible burial ground, it was a remote farmhouse with a bricked up door and Stephen recognised the 'saggy' brickwork as Freds handywork. The police refused to look into it as they had spent too much money. This is documented in one of the books, I think its Stephen and Mae West's book about the case. Fred did hint to Janet Leach (appropriate adult) that there were more bodies. I dont even believe he worked alone.
    Another case that I'll never forget is Jamie Cheeseman from Wellingborough.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to romany_star For This Useful Post:

Cannot believe the police did not look in other posisble burial grounds with have at least two possible victims of west still missing, why not look for them.

I dont know, I hope one day the victims will be found and their families will still be alive to put them to rest. He used to brag that he had bodies buried under the paving slabs of Gloucester. In the light of little April Jones going missing, I cant help but wonder about Daniel Entwistle's case (Norfolk). He vanished on the same day as Madeleine McCann but the police just decided he had been washed out to sea. He was last seen on cctv in a shop I think. His case gets no publicity.