Stinky flower ready to bloom

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
STORRS, Conn. (AP) - Wait until the neighbours get a whiff of this.

A giant exotic plant that has not bloomed in the Northeast in more than 60 years is ready to flower at the University of Connecticut's greenhouses. The "corpse flower" has the odour of three-day-old road kill, and UConn botanists couldn't be more excited. Once open, the spiked, bright red bloom even resembles rotting meat, a veritable welcome mat for the insects that pollinate it - flies and carrion beetles.

"It looks like something has died. It smells like something has died. It has some of the same chemicals that dead bodies produce," UConn research assistant Matthew Opel said Tuesday.

The corpse flower (Amorphophallus titanum) at UConn was planted 10 years ago and was part of a group of seeds brought to the United States from its native Sumatra by botanical explorer James Symon.

The plant is expected to blossom in the next five to six days. Until it blooms, it's almost odourless. Already at just over a metre high, the flower could reach more than two metres high and at least that wide when it opens up.

The stinky botanical curiosity is expected to attract visitors like . . . well, flies.

The blossom lasts just two days before it begins to disintegrate, and UConn plans to extend visiting hours at the research greenhouse to accommodate the nosy. For the weak-stomached, a webcam on the UConn Internet site was expected to provide odourless footage of the flower.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/06/23/511346-ap.html

Casshew said:
Wow ~ thanx fivekidz :)
thank you for bringing it to the forum...after reading the headline...I decided I wanted to see this bloom for some reason...still not sure why...maybe just because it's different...and different is ok!

Wow. I wonder if I could a florist to deliver a bouquet of stink to my former boss. I really think there's a market for this flower! :innocent:

LOL Yakwoman ~ I have had that webcam up on one of my browsers since yesterday..

I wish that damn weed would do something :banghead:

I am having trouble visualizing a flower as big as this one is going to be. Can you imagine having a beautiful flower that size? You'd make millions.

Also, I think Yakwoman has a great business idea. Should we start marketing these? The perfect flower for breakups.

I am obsessed with the flower... but I wish it would do something!! :rolleyes: :banghead:

I keep checking the webcam to it LOL

Casshew said:
I am obsessed with the flower... but I wish it would do something!! :rolleyes: :banghead:

I keep checking the webcam to it LOL

Yeah, me too! For some reason, that vile weed has a power over the Yakwoman! :waitasec:

Casshew said:
Yakwoman... check out how big these things get :crazy:

Yikes! That's sick! :eek: Yet, strangely fascinating! The "hand pollination" just killed me - reminds me of how they inseminate cows by hand! Ha :laugh:

Yakwoman said:
reminds me of how they inseminate cows by hand! Ha :laugh:
Hey, thanx for that great visual Yakwoman :slap:

Maybe the flower will move tomorrow? I wonder if its a gentle slow opening.. or if it's just a big whump... like when I take my girdle off?

I check on this bloom all the time, it doesn't look like it's doing anything! My daughter thinks it will peel like a bananna~

LOL I've got my father hooked on this weed now. He emailed me this morning to say he keeps checking it. It has some strange hypnotic effect on us :doh:

It's pretty sad when the first thing I do when I get up in the morning is check on this stupid plant! I guess it official - I don't have a life!!! :bang:

Well, the Yakwoman is going to the lake today and won't be back until tomorrow afternoon. No computer access, so I guess that means the stinkin' flower will bloom while I'm gone! (the story of the Yakwoman's life).

Happy 4th everyone! ;)

Date Height Image Notes
Day 44 July 5th 58.5" The Bloom Watch Continues
Slight increase in height, most likely due to cell expansion. No other outward changes in appearance.
http://titanarum.uconn.edu/Progress.html

Daily progress notes has more pictures...why can't I stop investigating this????

Great new pics! It is reminding me of that movie "Little Shop of Horrors"

Plant says "Feed me ~ I'm starvin'!"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine