DUI Poster Boy

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Man faces 23rd DUI charge

Raymond J. Sherman has said he wouldn't give up two things in life:

"I ain't gonna quit drinking … and I sure ain't gonna give up driving," Sherman told a reporter in 2001.

During his 22nd drunken driving arrest, Sherman told a State Patrol trooper in July 2002 that the next time somebody tried to arrest him, he would flee.

Authorities called Sherman a man of his word Thursday, saying he fled troopers before being arrested in connection with drunken driving for the 23rd time in Minnesota.

A trooper stopped Sherman, 41, at 2:59 a.m. on eastbound Minnesota 62 in Richfield. The trooper said she left her car and walked toward the vehicle ahead of her. That driver sped away in a 1993 Jeep Cherokee registered to a used-car dealership in Apple Valley, said Capt. Jay Swanson, head of the East Metro State Patrol.

When the vehicle fled, a second trooper joined the pursuit. The driver braked repeatedly during the pursuit, nearly causing collisions with the troopers. Sherman made it to Minnesota 77 in Eagan before stop sticks flattened two of his tires and troopers arrested him.

Sherman refused to have his blood alcohol level measured but he smelled of alcohol, had bloodshot eyes, and the Jeep contained empty beer cans and a cold, open beer, according to the criminal complaint filed Thursday.

Sherman also refused to state his name, but Lt. Scott Trautner recognized him from his 22nd DUI arrest. "Mr. Sherman wasn't quite as happy to see Lt. Trautner," Swanson added, then read from Trautner's report: "He shouted 'F… you,' and then threatened to burn my house down."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/9006505.htm?1c

He doesn't have a license, why can't a policeman get him the second he starts driving a car, drunk or no?

Just seemed logical to me.

hearing or reading this kind of stuff makes me absolutely crazy. This guy is going to kill someone. Can't they put him in jail based on all these arrests? He seems clearly determined to continue this behavior unless stopped by LE. I am ignorant about the law in these situations, but come on.....23 arrests?!

Ghostwheel said:
He doesn't have a license, why can't a policeman get him the second he starts driving a car, drunk or no?

Just seemed logical to me.
a cop can stop him drunk or not, there's always a 'cause' , failure to use turn signal, equipment cite, whatever...and a judge COULD put him away for some time as a habitual offender if so inclined! :behindbar i am sure the police in that area are quite frustrated that this guy is still out there driving, because sooner or later he will kill someone. so where's the judge??

deputylinda said:
and a judge COULD put him away for some time as a habitual offender if so inclined! :behindbar i am sure the police in that area are quite frustrated that this guy is still out there driving, because sooner or later he will kill someone. so where's the judge??

Considering that we lock up 1000's of small time drug users with mandatory minimums sentences, its downright silly that someone like Sherman is not in jail. Why we give stiff sentences for drug possession, which doesn't cause much harm, yet let someone who habitually abuses a legal drug, threatening others' lives routinely out of jail, is beyond me.

vicktor, i sure agree this scumweasel should be locked up, and wonder what's wrong with the judge on his case. LE wants this idiot off the street.the druggie conversaton would be a good thread.

I'm with you guys. The way 'crimes' are handled and punished and the disparity therein is troubling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back