CANADA Canada - The Woodland Rapist of Southern Ontario, 1992-1995 *Arrest*

WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
Cold case search resumes for Woodland Rapist

Wanted for attacks on children in the early 1990s

Today they are young adults, but back in the early 1990s they were youngsters who had experienced unimaginable horror at the hands of a sadistic serial rapist.

For an 8-year-old Kitchener boy, the terror took place in a park on Aug. 21, 1992, when he was raped by a freckled-face white man with strawberry blond hair tied in a ponytail.

A 10-year-old Brampton boy and a 15-year-old Oakville girl were tied to trees during their assaults in a park in 1994 and 1995, respectively.

But the unkempt predator with the baggy eyes – dubbed the Woodland Rapist because he lured victims into wooded areas – vanished following his last and most violent attack during which his young female captive endured more than five hours of terror at gunpoint in Oakville's Wildwood Park on Aug. 31, 1995.

Now, a small team of investigators headed by former Peel homicide detective Blaise Doherty is taking a fresh look at this troubling case, one of 15 being examined by the force's new cold case sexual assault unit.

Doherty said the Woodland Rapist could already be dead. He could be locked up for a crime not requiring DNA to be taken, such as multiple armed bank robberies. He might also have moved out of the country, perhaps even out of North America.

"There's also the unlikely chance he just stopped," Doherty said.

Much more at:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cri...-case-search-resumes-for-woodland-rapist?bn=1

faeec989489b93b1c92289b91c20.jpeg

Police composite sketch.

Police resume search for vicious pedophile who attacked Kitchener boy in 1992

One thing is certain, Doherty said. He has never been caught for another rape or murder because his DNA does not match any of the thousands of unsolved crime scene genetic markers or known sex offenders in the national databank.

Doherty will not reveal too much about where their investigation has taken them except to say that officers are “generating new persons of interest” and all DNA collected from new sex assaults is being checked against the assailant’s genetic markers.

“If he ever leaves his DNA behind, it’s a certainty he will be caught,” Doherty said.

Officers have been in touch with each of the victims to inform them of the new investigation and to warn them of possible media coverage. He said everyone is supportive of the investigation and the fact police aren’t letting the case die.

The Woodland Rapist case haunts seasoned investigators as it did when his reign of terror gripped the Oakville community in the days after a joint Halton-Peel-Waterloo task force released disturbing details in 1995.

At the time of the Kitchener rape, the boy's mother said the man had told her son that he had raped 25 other children.

More at:
http://news.therecord.com/News/Local/article/630578

Police re-open unsolved sex assault cases

He was white, with freckles on his face and strawberry blond hair tied in a pony tail.

Over the years, police have received more than 13 hundred tips and even used a Texas company to see if a Russian satellite captured the plates of his vehicle.

Waterloo Regional Police spokesperson Olaf Heinzel says they would like to bring the case to a conclusion.

http://www.570news.com/more.jsp?content=20091117_124900_9196

Call Crime Stoppers at the toll free number: 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS)

WhyaDuck?, do you know if Canadian investigators are able to run a suspect's DNA through US CODIS?

I don't know off-hand, but I will check when I get a moment. My instinct is that they can, but for specific searches. But it's a good idea.

Since the rapes stopped, I wonder if the fellow committed suicide? I assume LE will take a look at the deaths in 1995-96, to see. I do think it is really unlikely he just stopped - must have moved, got caught on something, or died.

When I get some time, perhaps I will start combing through missing males that fit the description in the region... perhaps he himself went missing. Might be worth a look, I guess.

470_sex_assault3_091117.jpg

A shirt left behind at one of the crime scenes.

Police reopen cold case involving serial rapist

It's been more than 15 years since the crimes happened but on Tuesday, police said they were reopening the cold case.

The attacks happened in the mid-1990s. An eight-year-old, 10-year-old and 15-year-old reported being lured into the woods and raped.

Investigators released a composite sketch of the suspect at the time but police never made an arrest.

They also released an image of a black cotton shirt that was found at one of the crime scenes. The shirt had a distinctive wood duck logo. Detectives say the man maybe got careless and left behind the piece of evidence.

The suspect, dubbed the "Woodland Rapist," may have died or moved since the attacks, police say. Or he may be in prison on an unrelated charge.

More info and a video at:
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo..._coldcase_091117/20091117/?hub=TorontoNewHome

I wonder if he did not graduate from rape to murder.

It would be interesting to see if his DNA has been ran through CODIS.

That is a pretty good composite.

Ontario scares me-sorry CrimeSolver!

he looks familiar
creepy

he looks familiar
creepy

He does doesn't he? I am wondering why..... and I think it is the broken nose. Maybe the broken nose looks familair from a John Doe posted here at WS? Just a guess though because I can't think of a specific John Doe, just that he looks familiar based on looking at so many.

I also wonder if the perp is currently incarcerated since the rapes stopped, rather than the perp being deceased. JMO

Tried "wood duck logo", "duck logo", no luck. Many pages of "flying duck" hits later, a few of them with similar flight positioning, but with wings further away from the head. Thousands of duck pictures (and duck dreams) later ... although black & white, these are the only 2 designs that I have found that are close:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...start=360&hl=en&sa=N&gbv=2&ndsp=18&tbs=isch:1

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...start=774&hl=en&sa=N&gbv=2&ndsp=18&tbs=isch:1

A couple of comments after looking through a multitude of pics:

This seems to be a very unique pattern logo (understatement?). Am wondering if this has been customized for a special event, possibly for a small group. At risk of sounding judgemental .. the combination of a youngish guy with a ponytail wearing a golf/polo type shirt in the 90s, smacks of a bit yuppie.

Obviously this is not a common logo, and most cheap logos aren't this specific and realistic. Most people wouldn't know a "wood duck drake" from any other duck, or from a whole in the ground. This logo appears to have been made with attention to reasonably realistic detail in the colouring.

Northern Reflections was a trendy store to buy casual, country style clothing and were quite popular in Ontario in the 90s. Maybe LE can check with them to see if they had that particular design back then.

Kenyan underwear? Anybody here have Kenyan undies? Gotchies that do double-duty as headgear?

HELLO LE !! If our Hazel was able to provide this close-up, why doesn't LE publicize a pic of this logo so people know what the heck they are looking for out there?

Although not geographically close, and of only mild interest, is a company in Renfrew named Wood Duck Manufacturing (fireplace mantles, shelving, etc.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back