Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY - Plainview - Wht/HispMale (UP 140), 23-57, Died >20 yrs Prior -Gold Watch, Mar'04

NY - Plainview - Wht/HispMale (UP 140), 23-57, Died >20 yrs Prior -Gold Watch, Mar'04

PLAINVIEW, N.Y. (CBS) @ Police are using modern technology to solve the ultimate cold case. Investigators were actually able to reconstruct the face of the victim whose remains
    may have been buried for more than 20 years.
    It was March 2004 when state troopers responded to a car crash on the Northern State Parkway in Plainview. It was there rescuers stumbled
    onto bones unearthed in a shallow grave. Now, through the wonders of modern science, those skeletal remains believed buried for 27 years,
    now have a face.

http://wcbstv.com/technology/cold.ca...ml#addComments

NamUS - https://identifyus.org/cases/140
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jubble For This Useful Post:

With his height being only 5'2" I would think we should be able to narrow this down considerably.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to distracted 1976 For This Useful Post:

So, we need to start looking at men missing at 20 or 25 years ago.
    The members only jacket makes sense.
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

The dates don't match up, but the face looks similar and the geographical area is nearby.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...lon_felix.html
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleA For This Useful Post:

This man has dates that match up and his look is similar, but his height is off.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...n_william.html
    Last edited by TripleA; 11-21-2009 at 10:28 AM.
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleA For This Useful Post:

This young man looks very similar, but again, the height is off. I wish we could get that height of 5'2" on UID confirmed.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fox_frank.html

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TripleA For This Useful Post:

Maybe I should have collected all of these for one post.

This man has similar appearance, area, and time of disappearance, but height is off.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...n_micheal.html

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleA For This Useful Post:

I've been searching and searching for a possible match and you'd think it would be easy to at least come up with a couple of possibilities based off of JD's height alone but so far I haven't had much luck. So far I've went through 1982-1985 on the Charley Project website and have come up with pretty much nothing.

I found this guy that is unlikely because of his height which is listed at 5' 8" (JD is listed as 5' 2") but something about the face looks similar to me -

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...sa_donald.html

I've seen a couple that looked somewhat similar to the JD sketch but they were much too tall to be even remotely possible.

I also found this man but it seems very unlikely for a number of reasons. First of all he was from Michigan. The men who were believed to have murdered him were charged with the crime and they were a couple of hunters that lived out in the woods off of the land so I doubt they would drive all that way to bury him. It does not list his height however and you never know.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/tyll_david.html

I'm off to keep looking for a match.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LovinTK For This Useful Post:

The article states that the john doe was found in 2004 and has been buried since around 1977. But he was wearing a jacket imported in 1982. Okay, I'm no math wizard, but did he import a jacket while underground? So if the jacket was only a year or so old, then the earliest he could have been buried is 1982/83. So if he was estimated at 30 at time of death, then his dob would be 1952/53 or thereabouts. Second question to all you fashion moguls out there, were men still wearing bell bottom pants in 82/83, was that about disco fever time, Saturday Night Fever I can't remember, I'm getting old.
    Last edited by Billylee; 11-21-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: correction

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billylee For This Useful Post:

I'm just updating that I went through from 1982-1986 now and I'm still not coming up with any really good matches. Here is what I came up with for 1986 -

This guy seems too young as the police believe JD was about 30 years old and he's from CA -

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...christian.html

What do you guys think about this man? -

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ia_freddy.html

I found this man and the age and height fit. It says that he is Asian but to me he looks like he could pass for biracial or Hispanic. I think their are similarities between the JD sketch and his picture. -

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hy_nam.html

Well I'm done searching for the night but I'll keep looking tomorrow if I have time. I'm sorry the possible matches I've posted tonight are so unlikely to actually be JD but I've looked through hundreds of missing people and I'm just not finding any great matches for this man. I hope that I or someone else here has better luck tomorrow.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LovinTK For This Useful Post:

Also they found a plastic "hair pick" in his pocket. The only guys that used hair picks had curly hair and usually wore in sort of Afro style, that I remember anyway.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billylee For This Useful Post:

I wonder if he could have been a jockey, exercise rider, or someone associated with the track? Aqueduct is not too far away. Maybe an ex-jockey turned gambler or bookie? That can be a real vagabond lifestyle. Obviously robbery wasn't a motive, with the $600 watch. Very mysterious.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polywog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Billylee View Post
    Also they found a plastic "hair pick" in his pocket. The only guys that used hair picks had curly hair and usually wore in sort of Afro style, that I remember anyway.
    Hmmm... I didn't see that detail. All the more reason to wonder if he was a jockey, so many Latin Americans in that field. If he came from another country to race, then he probably wouldn't be on the Doe Network.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polywog For This Useful Post:

The article states that the john doe was found in 2004 and has been buried since around 1977. But he was wearing a jacket imported in 1982. Okay, I'm no math wizard, but did he import a jacket while underground? So if the jacket was only a year or so old, then the earliest he could have been buried is 1982/83. So if he was estimated at 30 at time of death, then his dob would be 1952/53 or thereabouts. Second question to all you fashion moguls out there, were men still wearing bell bottom pants in 82/83, was that about disco fever time, Saturday Night Fever I can't remember, I'm getting old.
    I noticed the same thing too and thought it was odd. I've been searching through people who went missing starting in 1982 but it would be nice to know if that was a typo and the article meant to state that the jacket was from 1972. I'm not sure about the fashion at the time but I would imagine that there are a lot of men who just wear whatever they have in the closet because they don't care to go shopping for clothes.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to LovinTK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LovinTK View Post
    I noticed the same thing too and thought it was odd. I've been searching through people who went missing starting in 1982 but it would be nice to know if that was a typo and the article meant to state that the jacket was from 1972. I'm not sure about the fashion at the time but I would imagine that there are a lot of men who just wear whatever they have in the closet because they don't care to go shopping for clothes.
    Member's Only: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Members_Only[/ame]

Definitely '80s jacket, since they have the manufacturing date down. Gotta think about the bell bottoms, that seems off for the '80s. The fancy watch makes me think he was probably someone who cared about his clothes.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polywog For This Useful Post:

Since they recovered pants I think it's safe to say the height is accurate. I don't know many guys who wear capris. Also, they recovered all bones so they can definately know and good height estimate, I think.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danaya For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LovinTK View Post

What do you guys think about this man? -

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ia_freddy.html
    Don't think so, that guy was last seen wearing a black watch and different clothes. Also, he had a gold pendant necklace on and I think the UID would have had it as well if that was him.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Danaya For This Useful Post:

Jacket was a windbreaker; with the LS shirt he must have been buried in the spring or fall. Going along my jockey thoughts, I forgot to mention that Belmont is not too far from there either. It's just odd to me that money AND the expensive watch weren't taken from his body before he was buried.

I wonder if he was definitely buried? Maybe he was walking down 495 at night and got hit and and thrown into the median strip, and was somehow not seen from the road.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polywog For This Useful Post:

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/bornto...mplus281x2f326

I'm guessin' this is the jacket he had on? And yes Sat. Night Fever was in 78, which really kicked the disco era off, so 82/3 would have still been sportin' the bell bottom pants.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billylee For This Useful Post:

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/bornto...mplus281x2f326

I'm guessin' this is the jacket he had on? And yes Sat. Night Fever was in 78, which really kicked the disco era off, so 82/3 would have still been sportin' the bell bottom pants.
    Good Find! Here's something I found re: the bell bottoms, from a google search:

The early 80s clothing trends are tight fitting remnants of 70ís styles. Although the bell bottoms donít flare out as much and the afros are much more conservative, 70ís clothes could still pass up into 1983.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polywog For This Useful Post:

I think you're right about the height and pants length. So 5' to 5'2" is probably what we're looking for. Interesting that the race tracks are close by. I was thinking perhaps a Filipino nationality, they're usually not real tall people. And for sure, why wasn't the watch taken? Any jockeys go missing back then? Surely, that would have been in the news huh?

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billylee For This Useful Post:

I also meant to add that because he was such an odd size, it's possible he wore pants that he'd had since the '70s... couldn't have been easy for him to find pants that fit that were men's styles and not kids.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polywog For This Useful Post:

I think you're right about the height and pants length. So 5' to 5'2" is probably what we're looking for. Interesting that the race tracks are close by. I was thinking perhaps a Filipino nationality, they're usually not real tall people. And for sure, why wasn't the watch taken? Any jockeys go missing back then? Surely, that would have been in the news huh?
    Well, I went to the Jockey's Guild website,and found another jockey site, and I considered sending them the info about this guy with that new photo. I don't know if they'd be interested in finding a way to get the info out, but it might be worth a try. It's such a transient lifestyle that I'd think it would be very easy for someone to go missing and no one would care much or notice, or think much of it.

The NAMUS info said that he'd had anemia at some point based on his bones, and jockeys are often anorexic to keep their racing weight. Some jocks aren't full grown yet when they start working, so if the anemia was from youth, it could be a retired or aging jockey.

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polywog For This Useful Post:

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-skelet...,7398895.story
    Another news article with slightly different information.

NEW YORK (WPIX) - New York State Police are trying to identify skeletal remains discovered along the Northern State Parkway, that investigators believe had been there for over 20 years.

The remains, which were found east of Sunnyside Blvd. in Plainview, were initially found in March 2004 after a motorist lost control of her vehicle and drove into the wooded area, discovering the skeleton, officials said.

An investigation later determined that the bones were those of a white male, approximately 35-45 years of age, between 4'11" and 5'4" with a 26-inch waist.

According to officials, the man's clothing led investigators to determine what era he may have died in. The male was wearing a red members only waist length jacket imported into the United States in the spring of 1982. He also sported tan pleated canvass bell bottom pants, a button down white shirt with an orange and blue striped pattern and a 1960 gold Bulova watch.

With the help of forensic facial reconstruction, investigators were able to recreate the victim's face using measurements from his skull. Anyone with information as to the identity of the unidentified male is urged to contact the New York State Police Major Crimes Unit at 631-756-3390. All calls will be kept confidential.

I found this article by googling tan pleated bell bottom pants.
    I find this articl ehelpful since it says :
    age 35 - 45
    height 4'11" to 5'4"
    Bulova watch from 1960.
    26 inch waist.

I think it gives us more to go on.
    Gary Haugen

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...face-1.1603850

Five years after the bones were found, a face has emerged.
    Using anthropological techniques and forensic technology, New York State Police released Wednesday a digital rendering of the face of the man whose remains were found near the Northern State Parkway in March 2004. A woman who drove into the woods near the Sunnyside Boulevard exit after a minor accident found the skeletal remains, investigators said.
    "We haven't had any leads yet," said senior investigator John Lang of the State Police.

Forensic evidence shows the remains belong to a white male between the ages of 35 and 45, about 4'11" to 5'4", with a thin build. He may have been dead between 10 and 22 years by the time he was found, police said.
    He was wearing a red Members Only waist length jacket imported into the USA in the spring of 1982, tan pleated canvas bell bottom pants, a button-down white shirt with an orange and blue striped pattern and a 1960 gold Bulova watch, police said.

Herb Buckley, the director of forensic imaging for the State Police who worked on the facial construction, said the first step is to determine what the person would have looked like alive.
    "First you have to have a anthropological report from a board-certified anthropologist to get the gender, approximate age, approximate weight, approximate size and state of health of the person," Buckley said by phone from Binghamton.
    Then, facial anchor points provide the canvas for bringing the elements together.
    "On the face there are 32 anchor points which are the same on children, adults, male or female. They're the same no matter where you are working on the skull - it's universal," Bu
    Once the data and the evidence are matched together, Buckley said, "then it becomes my job to envision a face."
    The technology to compose such a highly detailed face is fairly new, Buckley said. "As far as computer generated imaging goes, it's only been in the last 10 years that we've advanced to this point."
    The facial construction for this case took five years in part because the police are investigating it as a cold case, Lang said.
    "So as soon as we got everything shored up and we were able to work the leads, we put this stuff out," he said. "It's basically being handled as a cold case and kind of a back-burner case."
    Anyone with information can call 631-756-3390.

Slightly different detail in this article.
    Dead between 10 - 22 years when found...
    Time to do a post listing all the variants.
    Gary Haugen

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast