Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 983
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    16,024
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    He is a detective of decomposition. I did notice at the bond hearing he testified that the odor was one of "decomposition" and some people noted that he did not say "human decomposition."
    Yes, you are right - I remember that also.

    However, I wish Baez would give up his grudge against Yuri Melich. YM is far too clever and knowledgeable for Baez to box him in.

    "Could you define human decomp for me Mr. Baez" - LOL - I love the way Yuri answers him!


  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:


  3. #167
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    at the coffee maker
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by ZsaZsa View Post
    IIRC everyone who has actually smelled this car has said the same thing- it smells like human decomposition..... including ICA's family.
    I've not disputed that; I just think a jury shouldn't be made to smell it. And my experience is that it's a gamble on whether or not a person will instantly know what they're smelling is a dead human - I've never interviewed anyone who did and I've interviewed a lot of people, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. The real issue for me is I think making a jury smell the trunk would cross an ethical line. But it's neither here nor there because it comes down to judicial proceedings and HHJP may disagree with me. That's fine. He's the expert on these matters, not me.


  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turnadot For This Useful Post:


  5. #168
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnadot View Post
    I'm not an expert either, but I've written plenty of crime fiction and spoken to heaps of people who have had the unfortunate experience of finding a dead body; hidden in the bushes, under a car, in a garage - none of those people related the smell to a dead human - only that the smell made them sick and was like nothing they had ever smelled before. But I'm certainly willing to concede there are people who just knew instantly they were smelling a dead body and I just haven't met them yet.

    The smell may not be as strong after three years, but I still believe it would be unusually cruel to make a jury sniff the trunk, because even if it's not as strong, it's a smell that lingers with you. With the added knowledge that the body was an innocent baby, it will really screw with the juries heads, imo. Those poor people are going to have to endure so much already. Making them smell the decomp of a dead baby is crossing an ethical line.

    Of course these are just my opinions. I'm not an expert on anything at all, so there you go.

    BBM - I agree 100%. I can't even imagine. They are going to be viewing pictures of Caylee that we will never get to see. They will see the pictures of Caylee's remains as they were found... duct tape and all. It's going to stay with them for the rest of their lives. I think the totality of everyone smelling that car and their intial reactions, no matter what Cindy and George say now, will be enough for a jury to understand that the smell was that of decomposition. The cadaver dogs alerting to the decomposition simply backs up these intial reactions. I don't know if the air samples will come in, but if the hair banding comes in (I think it will), I think it will be enough for the jury to understand that Caylee was, in fact, decomposing in that trunk.


  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LolaMoon08 For This Useful Post:


  7. #169
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    16,024
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post
    BBM - I agree 100%. I can't even imagine. They are going to be viewing pictures of Caylee that we will never get to see. They will see the pictures of Caylee's remains as they were found... duct tape and all. It's going to stay with them for the rest of their lives. I think the totality of everyone smelling that car and their intial reactions, no matter what Cindy and George say now, will be enough for a jury to understand that the smell was that of decomposition. The cadaver dogs alerting to the decomposition simply backs up these intial reactions. I don't know if the air samples will come in, but if the hair banding comes in (I think it will), I think it will be enough for the jury to understand that Caylee was, in fact, decomposing in that trunk.
    Agree - and hasn't AZ or Joypath or one of our experts already stated there is no way the jury would be asked to smell the trunk because they have no previous "reference" to know what they were smelling was "human decomp" and could only understand it was something "awful".
    Last edited by logicalgirl; 03-22-2011 at 01:15 PM.


  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:


  9. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10,570
    Quote Originally Posted by logicalgirl View Post
    Yes, you are right - I remember that also.

    However, I wish Baez would give up his grudge against Yuri Melich. YM is far too clever and knowledgeable for Baez to box him in.

    "Could you define human decomp for me Mr. Baez" - LOL - I love the way Yuri answers him!
    Maybe he wants a re-do!!

    I wonder how GA and CA will handle all the testimony about odor, and plant growth through bones.


  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:


  11. #171
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by ZsaZsa View Post
    That link isn't working...

    ETA: I found it- Baez is being a jerk as usual, trying to mess with YM. Apparently he wants to tie up YM for the three days of the hearings, and YM has other work to do. so the OCSO have tried to negotiate with JB as to setting times when he's actually needed, or having him on-call but Baez doesn't seem to have learned his lesson and is still acting like an azz.
    Especially after the way YM totally thwarted/publicly spanked JB and his futile attempts to pin him down on the stand during the evidentiary hearings.


    Define suspicious.

    JB is so immature.


  12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to watergirl For This Useful Post:


  13. #172
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,667
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    Maybe he wants a re-do!!

    I wonder how GA and CA will handle all the testimony about odor, and plant growth through bones.
    They won't handle it at all. Either Judge Perry will make sure they are not allowed to be in the courtroom, or if they are allowed, they will walk out of the courtroom.


  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LolaMoon08 For This Useful Post:


  15. #173
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Posts
    11,428
    Another post where AZ opines on the smell/odor analysis, last line BBM:

    Quote Originally Posted by AZlawyer View Post
    No, no, I just think the Body Farm odor analysis is likely to be tossed out. Actually I sort of hope it will be tossed out because I don't think it's THAT important to the State's case, but I think it will make a great appeal issue if HHJP lets it in.

    IMO the science behind the odor analysis is fascinating and quite likely to be valid, but the database of chemicals identified as "decomp" chemicals has not been subject to the kind of peer-reviewable and extensive validation testing necessary to determine whether those chemicals actually indicate the presence of human decomposition. In other words, there's no question that the chemicals were THERE--the question is what they MEAN. Single comparisons like "we found some of the same chemicals in this one other case of a decomposing child in a trunk" are great for developing a HYPOTHESIS to be tested but are not sufficient for drawing a scientific CONCLUSION to be used to convict someone of murder.

    Wasn't the motion to exclude all mention of the "smell" a separate motion? I think that motion will be denied. The fact that someone who has smelled human decomp before recognized the same smell in Casey's trunk is highly relevant and is not "scientific" evidence subject to a Frye analysis.
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

    Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT


  16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ynotdivein For This Useful Post:


  17. #174
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,990
    Quote Originally Posted by ZsaZsa View Post
    That link isn't working...

    ETA: I found it- Baez is being a jerk as usual, trying to mess with YM. Apparently he wants to tie up YM for the three days of the hearings, and YM has other work to do. so the OCSO have tried to negotiate with JB as to setting times when he's actually needed, or having him on-call but Baez doesn't seem to have learned his lesson and is still acting like an azz.
    Mr Melich really did quite an impressive job of thwarting Jose in his line of questioning at the last hearing. Too bad Jose seems to have forgotten his "sincere apology" to the prosecution. He really does appear to take things personally, and want to go for the jugular (Kathi B.)
    Last edited by Oakley; 03-22-2011 at 01:29 PM.


  18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oakley For This Useful Post:


  19. #175
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,990
    Watergirl, just read your post upthread now. Funny, we said essentially the same thing!


  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Oakley For This Useful Post:


  21. #176
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Posts
    254
    I can't wait til the trial to see them in action! And for that poor little baby Caylee to get justice.


  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cross Creek For This Useful Post:


  23. #177
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
    Mr Melich really did quite an impressive job of thwarting Jose in his line of questioning at the last hearing. Too bad Jose seems to have forgotten his "sincere apology" to the prosecution, it seems. He really does appear to take things personally, and want to go for the jugular (Kathi B.)
    He annialated Baez. Literally. Baez lied in his questioning and Yuri called him on it and never got testy, Baez did. Baez got flustered when Yuri said explain what you mean by this or this and Baez did not expect it and said well I will just rephrase. Yes Jose, rephrase. That is a good idea.

    Yuri was outstanding.


  24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Solace For This Useful Post:


  25. #178
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post
    They won't handle it at all. Either Judge Perry will make sure they are not allowed to be in the courtroom, or if they are allowed, they will walk out of the courtroom.
    It will be interesting to see if they are allowed in. They aren't testifying, are they? I bet you are right if they are though, there will undoubtedly be drama. If they are gonna get to attend, they have to learn how to either behave or fake it enough to keep the privilege. My money is on GA to stand up and yell at whoever is on the stand or something equally theatrical.


  26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to watergirl For This Useful Post:


  27. #179
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10,570
    Quote Originally Posted by watergirl View Post
    It will be interesting to see if they are allowed in. They aren't testifying, are they? I bet you are right if they are though, there will undoubtedly be drama. If they are gonna get to attend, they have to learn how to either behave or fake it enough to keep the privilege. My money is on GA to stand up and yell at whoever is on the stand or something equally theatrical.
    Like: If you say remains one more time, or flip me the bird again, SIR, I'll throw you through a plate glass window!! You opened the door!!


  28. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:


  29. #180
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
    Watergirl, just read your post upthread now. Funny, we said essentially the same thing!
    As did logicalgirl (#166). I saw hers after I replied too. Funny.
    JB has the transparency of tissue paper.


  30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to watergirl For This Useful Post:


Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Digital Forensic Evidence from Ricardo M UPDATED 1-24-09
    By EclecticArtist in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 221
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM
  2. 2011.04.08 Frye Hearing Thread
    By beach in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 920
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 02:03 PM
  3. 2011.04.06 Frye Hearing Thread
    By beach in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 1945
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
  4. 2011.03.23 Frye Hearing - Afternoon portion
    By Salem in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 1213
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 06:43 AM
  5. 2011.03.23 Frye Hearing
    By beach in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 889
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •