OR - Boy dies at sitter's, second fatality at house

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
I don't usually bring over local news like this, but I have some serious questions! Here's the story:

EUGENE, Ore. -- Two-year old Lincoln Weathers of Springfield was pronounced dead at the hospital after being rushed from a house where the sheriff's office thinks the boy choked on something.

The house is the same place where a 2-year-old boy was injured in a fall and later died in July 2008 while being cared for in a daycare operation, the sheriff's office confirmed to KVAL News.

Sheriff deputies said Weathers was being cared for by 29-year old Janna Bauman. In a 911 call Bauman reported that Weathers was choking.

The incident is under investigation by the Lane County Sheriff's Office and the Medical Examiner's section of the District Attorney's office.
<snipped> Much more at link.

IIRC, licensed sitters must take safety classes, so why couldn't she help a choking child? And why didn't she have a phone to call 911???

As for the previous child who died in her care, how can a child die from falling from a tricycle?

This is bugging me...

Alot of questions need to be asked!

Two children die in one year?

No..........even if coincidence, someone is not watching diligently enough.

Those poor parents......

I'm not getting how a small child receives severe injuries and blunt force trauma from falling off a small tricycle type toy.

The Web site reviewchildcare.com says Baumann is certified in first aid and CPR. http://www.kval.com/news/25791374.html <snipped>

This is the part that bugs me about the choking! I'm not certified in first aid and I know what to do! How often do kids die from choking these days, when someone is there watching them at all times? That's what I want to know!

I'm not getting how a small child receives severe injuries and blunt force trauma from falling off a small tricycle type toy.

ITA! It makes it sound like he fell on sprinklers? And they didn't call for two hours after the accident? Did they call the mom?

:waitasec:

The Web site reviewchildcare.com says Baumann is certified in first aid and CPR. http://www.kval.com/news/25791374.html <snipped>

This is the part that bugs me about the choking! I'm not certified in first aid and I know what to do! How often do kids die from choking these days, when someone is there watching them at all times? That's what I want to know!

It is troubling.

Usually quick action can save a child although it is not a guarantee. It is heartbreaking.

I'd like to know what Conner's mom thinks of this second incident...(Conner is the first little boy who died..)

ITA! It makes it sound like he fell on sprinklers? And they didn't call for two hours after the accident? Did they call the mom?

:waitasec:

I guess she couldn't find her phone? :rolleyes:

Was anything located in this latest child's airway?

I don't know anything more. They did say LE is investigating...we'll see what happens.

ETA: If I hear any local chit chat, I'll report on that also.

Connor's death could be considered a horrible tragedy.
I guess it could be possible that he fell off the mini trike
and his body hit the ground hard enough to cause his
liver to be severed.
Maybe his body hit the sprinkler head.
The thing that bothers me is the day care provider
is trained in cpr and first aid.
If you have kids at all, you know if there is a bad fall, you look
for signs of sleepiness, not responding, wanting to sleep,
acting in a different manner.
And then Connor was grey and 'cold' when 911 was finally called.
Maybe the day care provider let him take a nap.
But, LE ruled it an accident.

But, it is rare that another death has occurred.
No wonder we are all thinking, what is going on there?

I hope LE is throughly investigating
this 'accident.'

The second boy choked.
It is possible he swallowed something food or otherwise and it became lodged in his throat.
It just raises the hackles, all our senses go into overdrive.

Hope more information comes out in the next few days.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to link to MySpace, but I do know we can mention it!

If that is her and she signed on yesterday as "cheerful", that freaks me out!

We need to take care before pointing fingers, I know the parents of Lincoln, these two people are all about their kids and would never have let someone they did not trust to care for their kids. The parents are my nephew and his wife. IF they felt their child was in any danger in any shape or fashion , I can promise you they would never have left him with the sitter. There is much more to this story then you are reading in the news, and for the first child that died there of head injury. It is very possible to have happened that way. My bestfriend's grandson died in a similiar fashion. Just tripped and fell , hitting his head on the curb. It can and does happen.

We need to take care before pointing fingers, I know the parents of Lincoln, these two people are all about their kids and would never have let someone they did not trust to care for their kids. The parents are my nephew and his wife. IF they felt their child was in any danger in any shape or fashion , I can promise you they would never have left him with the sitter. There is much more to this story then you are reading in the news, and for the first child that died there of head injury. It is very possible to have happened that way. My bestfriend's grandson died in a similiar fashion. Just tripped and fell , hitting his head on the curb. It can and does happen.

I don't think anyone is blaming the parents. They weren't even there when the child died. As for there "being much more to the story," what is it?

I don't think anyone is blaming the parents. They weren't even there when the child died. As for there "being much more to the story," what is it?

I'm definitely not blaming the parents either. I'd like to know more of the story.

THANK YOU for weighing in! Please don't think ANYONE was blaming the parents! Oh my gosh, my heart goes out to them as I'm sure everyone else's here does as well. I can't even imagine! I had a friend who's baby died of SIDS at a sitter's and that sitter couldn't forgive herself. It was awful.

The reason we are sleuthing this case is that is it SO odd. We are trying to eliminate the possibility of foul play in our minds. We are not wanting to "investigate" the families of these children, but would like to know more about the sitter. Thank you and welcome to Websleuths! :blowkiss:

I have seen a child die from a tricycle accident. So I know it can happen.

What happened in the case that I know of, personally,
The child fell off of his tricycle. The parents thought he was fine as he only had minor bruising. The mother is a nurse so she really didn't think anything of it but some bruises. I can't remember how long after the accident, he died from internal bleeding.

http://www.medicinenet.com/internal_bleeding/page2.htm
Blunt trauma

Most people understand that falling from a height or being involved in a car accident can inflict great force and trauma upon the body. If blunt force is involved, the outside of the body may not necessarily be damaged, but enough compression may occur to internal organs to cause injury and bleeding.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back