1080 users online (216 members and 864 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OR - Clackamas Co., WhtFem 622UFOR, 30-50, dismembered in Willamette River, Apr'46

Unidentified White Female

• The victim was discovered on April 13, 1946 in the Wlliamette River, near Oak Grove, Oregon
    • Cause of Death: Blunt force injury to the head.
    • Estimated Date of Death: 2-4 weeks prior

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 30-50 years old. (Possibly older)
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"-5'4"; 115-160 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown and gray hair, in curlers and pins.
    • Clothing: A pair of brown slacks, a dark blue sweater, long underclothing, black dress material and a topcoat.
    • Dentals: Available. Upper teeth were false, but eight, lower teeth had fillings.

Case History

In the early morning hours of April 13, 1946, the fully clothed torso of an unidentified female was found floating in the Williamette River, 2.000 feet above the head of the Willamette falls locks and about six miles above the Wisdom Light boat moorage, by three fishermen. On April 14, 1946, the arms and legs were located in the river by five boatmen, approximately six miles from where the torso was found. Some of the men remember seeing the sack in the river at least 30 days earlier.
    On October 13, 1946, the head was also found in the Williamette River in the Oak Grove area.
    Her head, arms and legs were sawn off, neatly done by a person with a knowledge of anatomy. The body was then wrapped in feed bags, tied with a telephone, and weighted down with window, sash weights. A suspect has never been identified.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/622ufor.html
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-29-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Insane and sounds Dahlia-ish

This is one river in the US that flows NORTH. FYI for anyone sleuthing

I am betting that the this was not the first killing this perp ever did. Sounds like a crime of passion to me.

How awful that she has gone unidentified all this time! My gut says she was killed by someone close to her, like her husband or boyfriend.

Ok, maybe I am having a hard time with this because of a generational gap... But why would she have curlers in her hair and a dress and top coat on? I have a hard time believing that in the 40's a woman would be caught dead outside of her home with rollers in her hair (no pun intended). And dentures in her mouth makes me think this took place in the morning when she was getting ready to set her hair and head out the door. Am I off on this?

Quote Originally Posted by mtrooper View Post
    Ok, maybe I am having a hard time with this because of a generational gap... But why would she have curlers in her hair and a dress and top coat on? I have a hard time believing that in the 40's a woman would be caught dead outside of her home with rollers in her hair (no pun intended). And dentures in her mouth makes me think this took place in the morning when she was getting ready to set her hair and head out the door. Am I off on this?

I don't know mtrooper, my Grandmother from my Fathers side who would have been 26 in 1946(when this tragedy happened) has a few photos of herself from that era with curlers in her hair outside talking to friends etc...like it was no big deal. I remember being a "horrified" teenager playfully jabbing her about "how awesome" that look was...LOL. At least in Wisconsin anyways...Grandma (R.I.P.) said it was rather common. I have also seen many photos of my great-Grandmother from my moms side in photos with curlers in etc...

She actually has a NamUs page, despite it being just past the 70th anniversary of her death!

The case file doesn't have those pictures, but it does have dentals available! Which I find amazing, after all these years.

I wonder who she was...

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    I would think, going by the clothing sizes, they would be able to get the weight a little closer than a 45# span.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

I wonder if the "black dress material" was maybe part of something like a housecoat that she was wearing over her sweater and slacks to protect them while she was doing chores or her hair/makeup. Makes sense with the rollers.

I think the book excerpt is about this case.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=lG...201946&f=false

Women in the 40s normally wore dresses most of the time, at least according to all my old family photos. They had house dresses for home and nicer dresses for going out in public. So the UID may not have been dressing to go out necessarily. My mom, who grew up in the 40s, said the women in her family never wore pants unless they were working in the fields. It wasn't common to go out in public wearing curlers then either, but I'd be willing to bet the UID was killed at her own home by a husband or boyfriend.

I question whether the dismemberment was done by someone with a knowledge of human anatomy. They once said that about Jack the Ripper, assuming he must have been a doctor or surgeon, but anyone who has ever butchered farm animals or wild game would probably have some idea of the best spots to cut a body apart. Lots of people in the 40s still raised their own animals for meat and/or hunted, doing their own butchering.

This maybe an odd question, but were her arms cut off before she was dressed? It looks like a white long sleeve shirt/jacket but the sleeves appear to be intact.

Who was Walker County Jane Doe?

John Doe - February 9, 1968 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread
    John Doe - October 31, 1967 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast