Ireland - Bishops covered up priests' child abuse

Missizzy

Reaction score
"DUBLIN – The Roman Catholic Church in Dublin covered up decades of child abuse committed by priests because bishops wanted to protect the church's reputation at the expense of victims, an expert commission reported Thursday after a three-year probe into previously secret church records.
Abuse victims said they welcomed publication of the probe into the mishandling of 1975-2004 child-abuse cases in the Dublin Archdiocese, home to a quarter of Ireland's 4 million Catholics. But they said government and church leaders still had far to go to compensate for past wrongs."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091126...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDZXhwZXJ0c2R1Ymxp

I have been following this story for some time-I believe there was a documentary made about the priests names being redacted and the victims being prevented from releasing their names....it is an incredibly sickening story-if nothing else stands out, the fact that these diocese purchased insurance to buffer any future claims by survivors in 1987 should have brought these bishops to their knees.

"DUBLIN – The Roman Catholic Church in Dublin covered up decades of child abuse committed by priests because bishops wanted to protect the church's reputation at the expense of victims, an expert commission reported Thursday after a three-year probe into previously secret church records.
Abuse victims said they welcomed publication of the probe into the mishandling of 1975-2004 child-abuse cases in the Dublin Archdiocese, home to a quarter of Ireland's 4 million Catholics. But they said government and church leaders still had far to go to compensate for past wrongs."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091126...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDZXhwZXJ0c2R1Ymxp

BBM

In another case, here's what the diocese has to say:

The diocese should not have to spend thousand of dollars to review the documents “simply because Michael Powel alleges he was abused one time for one minute in the winter of 1971,” the diocese said in its filing.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/11/26/news/a3-abusetrumbull.txt

I was FLOORED that the diocese could say it, in effect, that a child being abused for even one minute was not worth their review!!

They are soooo making this sound like it's about $$.

It is *this* that hurts their reputation, IMO, as much as turning a blind eye, or perpetuating abuse by moving offenders around..

I wish those bishops were on their knees....in prayer and begging for forgiveness. We need to do all we can to help the survivors up off their knees.

We have another case of sexual abuse and it's cover up in the Catholic church that is quite personal to WS.

Love_Mama, a dear poster loved by all, passed away earlier this year. Her son's ex-wife is Amy Berg who wrote/produced the documentary 'Deliver Us From Evil'. It was the story of Father Oliver O'Grady who was a serial pedophile who for 20 years as a California priest abused over 25 children, the youngest suspected of being a 9 month old baby when O'Grady was an overnight guest in his parent's home.

Amy went on to tell how Cardinal Roger Mahoney had covered up the sins of Father O'Grady, moving him from parish to parish and never disclosing his crimes against the children. O'Grady was finally convicted and spent 7 years in prison and is now back living in Ireland.

It was a poignant film that showed how the church cared more about it's reputation than the well being of it's little children. The same thing as is happening in Ireland right now with the exposing of these priests who tormented children for years with their sexual abuse.

Will we ever learn? Thanks again to Amy for her part in exposing the truth and for Love_Mama posting her story here at WS And also thank you to the whistle blowers in Ireland and all those who will ever come forward and tell their stories to hopefully stop the bad guys from ever abusing children again.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34591995/ns/world_news-world_faith/

Probe found that church leaders shielded more than 170 pedophile priests

"DUBLIN - Two Roman Catholic bishops in Ireland resigned Christmas Day in the wake of a damning investigation into decades of church cover-up of child abuse in the Dublin Archdiocese......

The government-ordered investigation found that Dublin church leaders spent decades shielding more than 170 pedophile priests from the law. They began providing information to police only in 1995 — but continued to keep secret, until 2004, many files and other records of reported abuse."

At least the names are starting to be publicized....I hope it eventually leads to some kind of justice...if there is any equivalent justice for these poor folks who suffered at the hands of this monstrosity.

This is just....well I have really no words. One word that comes to mind is" disgusting "

It is sickening, and I'm glad that the Church is taking action...even if long overdue. While nothing can give these children back their innocence, I pray that changes can and will be made to prevent future abuse.

What boggles my mind in all of these cases is how many people went along with it. Why LE did not prosecute, and merely turned the cases back over to the same bishops to handle is beyond me. And why was there no media on it when it was happening? Surely at least one of these families tried to get some press to shine a light on the abuse. Was there no reporter who would tell it or just no publisher who would allow it to be printed?

I know I can't put myself in the mind of an abuser, but I also don't understand anyone who knows or suspects and helps cover it up. I just don't get any of it.

Angelmom--I'm not Catholic so I can't speak for what the environment in the church was at the time. I am Irish, though. I think we've had a sea change in societal condemnation of abuse. Remember, that it's only been in the last decade or so that we've stopped (at least, most of us) blaming the victim. And I'm speaking for the US. I think it's taken a bit longer for systemic change in Ireland. Many, many countries are still far behind. Check out Uganda, for heaven's sake.

The fifties were the "Golden Era". The war was over and everyone wanted and desperately needed to believe that life was a fairy tale. Divorce was rare. People kept their dysfunctions to themselves. Nowadays, if a family member develops a mental illness or an addiction, people have empathy. In the past, it was shameful. It was so much easier to sweep child abuse and domestic violence and dysfunction and mental illness under the rug and to pretend it wasn't happening. Oh, what a perfect storm we set up for abusers.

I always liken the change in our society's response to childhood sexual abuse to the civil rights movement. Of course abuse and discrimination will always occur, however, our society no longer turns a blind eye to it. Our justice system, schools, medical system, even churches, all MUST respond to it.

I'll have to do some research but I would imagine that child abuse trials in Ireland rarely, if ever, took place before the 1980's-1990's. Children were discouraged from disclosing as the disclosure would have brought deep shame to the family.

After all, Father Patrick, is such a good and kind man. He visits the shut-ins, feeds the poor, and helps the young mothers. How could little scrawny Kevin O'Connor (making up these names here) be telling the truth? That's just outrageous. Father Patrick would never hurt a child. I let my own Timothy travel with him to another parish last month. Hasn't Kevin lied about stealing a neighbor's bike? He's a naughty one, that one, and not to be trusted. That wee ten year old is just trying to stir up trouble for the good Father. If I were his Mam, I'd give him something to really cry about. Poor Father Patrick, as if he doesn't have enough to worry about and all. (My story)

That's how it happens. Come h*ll or high water, keep up appearances and don't ruffle feathers or bring negative attention to your own family.

It is sickening, and I'm glad that the Church is taking action...even if long overdue. While nothing can give these children back their innocence, I pray that changes can and will be made to prevent future abuse.

What boggles my mind in all of these cases is how many people went along with it. Why LE did not prosecute, and merely turned the cases back over to the same bishops to handle is beyond me. And why was there no media on it when it was happening? Surely at least one of these families tried to get some press to shine a light on the abuse. Was there no reporter who would tell it or just no publisher who would allow it to be printed?

I know I can't put myself in the mind of an abuser, but I also don't understand anyone who knows or suspects and helps cover it up. I just don't get any of it.

Oh Angelmom, unfortunately the Church is based on money. Loot.

Plenty of families tried to get help from the media, but again money talks.

Look at the State of the Church now. It's school after school closing.

Plus, like someone once told me "They're like the Mafia. You don't snitch and you're in it for life".

On an aside there's some great Priests still out there. Few, but they are there. May the healing start for those that survived that chaos.

In keeeping with the theme sometimes we'd come home at lunch and tell our mom Sister Mary Clairol beat us senseless. My mom would say "Then you deserved it and for that I'll beat ya senseless too".

I know we had another thread going on this as well, but let me post a resource that I recently became acquainted with:
http://bishopaccountability.org/

This deals primarily with the documents associated with the clergy sex abuse in the US. In the Boston Diocese alone, there were 141 priests accused and moved around all over the country. It is mind boggling.

<snip>

Pope summons bishops over abuse report
January 20, 2010 -- Updated 1616 GMT (0016 HKT)

Rome, Italy (CNN) -- The pope has summoned several Irish bishops to the Vatican to discuss a report documenting child abuse by Irish clergy members, the Vatican spokesman said Wednesday.

The bishops will meet with Pope Benedict XVI in mid-February, said Father Federico Lombardi, the spokesman.

more here

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01/20/ireland.pope.abuse/index.html?eref=edition

We have a thread on Irish priests stepping down but I thought that this new development deserved it's own thread. Mods, could you please merge if you think it would be appropriate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100215...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDaXJpc2hiaXNob3Bz

Irish bishops meet pope in summit on sex abuse

"Irish prelates and Pope Benedict XVI met Monday in an extraordinary summit that one bishop called a step toward repentance for Ireland's history of sex abuse &#8212; but the former Dublin altar boy who exposed the scandal doubted that any real housecleaning would result.

Twenty-four bishops went up one by one to the pontiff and kissed his hand in a sign of fraternal respect Monday as the summit began.

The delegation's top member, Cardinal Sean Brady, archbishop of Armagh and primate of all Ireland, told Vatican Radio the two-day meeting was part of a "journey of repentance, reconciliation and renewal" for the Irish Church.
But Clogher Bishop Joseph Duffy said resignations were not on the agenda in Rome, despite victims' demands that clerics who played a role in concealing pedophile priests from censure step down........"

More at link above.

Scandal 'humiliating challenge'

VATICAN CITY - IRELAND'S paedophile priest scandal is a 'hard and humiliating challenge' but can be overcome by faith, Vatican Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone told Irish bishops on Monday.

'Challenges that come from within (the Roman Catholic Church) are naturally harder and humiliating,' Father Bertone said as the bishops prepared to meet with Pope Benedict XVI over the scandal that has rocked Ireland.

'Every kind of challenge can become a reason for purification and sanctification as long as it is illuminated by faith,' Father Bertone said in his homily. 'Such is the serious challenge facing your communities, which see men of the Church involved in particularly execrable acts,' he said.

more here

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/World/Story/STIStory_490599.html

I'm not sure who's supposed to 'overcome' the scandal -- the abusers or the abused? :waitasec:

Texas Mist--Feeling a tad bit of deja vu? Remember this:

"The victim must do all in his or her power to stop the abuse. Most often, the victim is innocent because of being disabled by fear or the power or authority of the offender. At some point in time, however, the Lord may prompt a victim to recognize a degree of responsibility for abuse."

We found this when we were researching the Mohler case (no news BTW, that I can find). It's snipped directly from a sermon/talk by:

Apostle Richard G. Scott "Healing the Tragic Scars of Abuse," General Conference, Ensign, May 1992

Catholic, Mormon, Baptist....doesn't matter the flavor. It's all the same abuse and guilt.

<snip>
Pope Urges Irish Bishops to Confront Sex Abuse

By ELISABETTA POVOLEDO and ALAN COWELL
Published: February 16, 2010

ROME — After two days of closed door conversations, Pope Benedict XVI urged Irish bishops on Tuesday to show “determination and resolve” in confronting the sexual abuse scandal convulsing the Roman Catholic church in Ireland, calling the mistreatment of minors and young people a “heinous crime.”

But a Vatican statement made no direct reference to further punitive measures against offenders in what it called “this grave crisis” which had “led to a breakdown in trust in the Church’s leadership.” The statement seemed unlikely to satisfy victims who had called for more resignations of senior clerics involved in covering up decades of abuse.

A Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said the issue of further resignations by bishops “was not addressed,” The Associated Press reported.

more here

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/world/europe/17pope.html

So, in other words, that means we're not going to talk about it.......surreptitiously slide it back under the rug (or let it crawl back under the rock)?

Vatican picks over Irish paedophile priest scandal

Page last updated at 20:24 GMT, Tuesday, 16 February 2010

As the Roman Catholic Church prepares to celebrate the penitential rites of Lent, during which the faithful beg forgiveness for their sins, an unprecedented act of private penance has been held behind closed doors at the Vatican.

Pope Benedict spent two days in one of the Vatican's sumptuous marble audience halls closeted with 24 Irish bishops who both individually and collectively confessed to him their shortcomings and omissions in the paedophile clergy scandal which has shocked the entire Catholic world.
Seated at two long tables, the red-clad bishops were invited by the Pope to describe individually - in interventions limited to a maximum of seven minutes each - how they had dealt with cases of priestly paedophilia in their own dioceses, and to explain why so many cases had been systematically covered up during a period of decades.

Although four Irish bishops have tendered their resignations over the scandals, only one of them has had his resignation accepted by the Vatican.

more here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8519036.stm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288