Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
I've followed this story for a while today -- little Luke is still missing

Police: Man Abducted 3-Year-Old Son
Pair Disappeared During Court-Scheduled Visitation

POSTED: Saturday, November 28, 2009
UPDATED: 8:57 pm EST November 28, 2009

COCOA, Fla. -- Cocoa police are asking for the public's help in locating a father who is accused of abducting his 3-year-old son during a court-scheduled visitation.

Paul Martikainen, 36, of Palm Bay, was with his son, Luke Finch, at Riverfront Park in Cocoa around noon Saturday when the pair disappeared.

A court-appointed supervisor monitored Martikainen and his son because of the father's history of alleged abuse against the child, according to a news release.

Martikainen slipped away from the supervisor, and he and his son were last seen at about 1 p.m., according to the release.

Martikainen's address is 554 SW Fournier St. in Palm Bay, Local 6 News partner Florida Today reported. He was last seen driving a 1990s model Ford Explorer with a Florida tag of 142 KEA.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Cocoa Police Department.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/21749373/detail.html

Link to FDLE Flyer / Missing Endangered Alert

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/mcicsearch/FlyerNewPerson.asp?Case_Id=31477&case_nbr=

another link with a different pic of little Luke

http://www.floridatoday.com/article.../91128014/Police-looking-for-dad-in-abduction

Toddler abducted in Cocoa
Updated: Saturday, 28 Nov 2009, 11:33 PM EST
Published : Saturday, 28 Nov 2009, 11:33 PM EST
<snipped>
Cocoa Police believe the child may be in the company of Paul Martikainen, his dad. He's a white male, 35 years of age, 5 feet 11 inches tall, 176 pounds, with blonde hair and green eyes.

They may be traveling in a green Ford Explorer, with a dented rear bumper and Florida tag number 142KEA.

Luke Finch
luke_finch_20091128233238_320_240.JPEG

Paul Martikainen.
21749382_240X320.jpg

Article:
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/brevard_news/112809_Toddler_abducted_in_Cocoa

Praying For The Safe Return Of Luke & To Send Angels To Protect Him! :prayer:

He is such a little beautiful innocent angel.

How can his own father put all of Luke's loved ones through such a horriable ordeal. :furious:

:angel:

Another Florida child!
I pray that Luke Finch is found safe.
http://www.nc5now.com/w/main/story/8043928/

11/28/2009 6:52 p.m.
COCOA, FL--A Florida Missing Child Alert has been issued for a 3-year-old boy from Cocoa.

Officials say Luke Finch, was last seen in the area of Taylor Park at Harrison & Delannoy Street in Cocoa Florida, wearing a blue sweatshirt, blue pants and black and red fire engine sneakers.

The child may be in the company of Paul Martikainen, a white male, 35 years old, 5 feet 11 inches tall, 176 pounds, blonde hair and green eyes. They may be traveling in a green Ford Explorer, with a dented rear bumper, tag number 142KEA.

If you have any information concerning the whereabouts of this endangered person, please contact the Cocoa Police Department at 321-639-7620

MISSING CHILD ALERT
PARENTAL ABDUCTION

LUKE FINCH
Date Missing: 11/28/2009
Missing From: Cocoa County: BREVARD
Birth Date: 1/3/2006 Age Disappeared: 3 yrs 10 months
Height: 2' 09" Race: White Hair: Blonde
Weight: 33 Sex: Male Eyes: Blue

Police Suspect Parental Abduction; Search To Go Statewide - 1:43 pm EST November 29, 2009

http://www.wesh.com/news/21752952/detail.html

"Barbara Matthews, Cocoa Police public information officer, said investigators were meeting with agents from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to expand the search statewide.

"Investigators have received several tips and sightings of Luke," said Matthews. "However, those sightings have been outside of Brevard County."

"Martikainen slipped away from the supervisor" during a court scheduled supervised visitation?

How does that happen, short of violence, if the supervisor is paying any attention whatsoever?

I wonder how much time lapsed between the disappearance and the supervisor reporting it to 911.

I'm just thinking about the mom already fearing this man, and then having to put her trust in the system, and now this happens.

Gosh, I hope the little guy is found soon and safe.

Abductor's record is truly terrifying. Domestic violence, repeat violence, child abuse, domestic violence involving children, violation of a protection order.
All at lbminnesota's link. This little boy needs some national coverage. How can we make that happen?

Abductor's record is truly terrifying. Domestic violence, repeat violence, child abuse, domestic violence involving children, violation of a protection order.
All at lbminnesota's link. This little boy needs some national coverage. How can we make that happen?

I just emailed Nancy Grace and America's Most Wanted. Maybe if more people email, it'll get on air.

Praying Luke comes home safe.

I just emailed Nancy Grace and America's Most Wanted. Maybe if more people email, it'll get on air.

Praying Luke comes home safe.

I'll send a couple, and I'll email JVM, too. I know she's the same network as NG, but I think she has a little bit of say in what she airs.

I'll send a couple, and I'll email JVM, too. I know she's the same network as NG, but I think she has a little bit of say in what she airs.

Oh, yeah I forgot about JVM. That's a good idea. Thanks for helping out!

Oh, yeah I forgot about JVM. That's a good idea. Thanks for helping out!

No problem. That man's record, alone with a small child that is likely already on his last nerves, I'll do anything I can.

I just hope little man does as he's told and keeps quiet. That's the best thing for him right now.

Witnesses say missing father and son from Cocoa escaped by sailboat
4:36 p.m. EST, November 29, 2009

Cocoa police said Sunday that the Palm Bay man who abducted his 3-year-old son during a supervised visit Saturday may have escaped with the boy on a sailboat.

After images of Paul Martikainen and his son Luke began flashing across television screens, investigators said witnesses called police and reported seeing the pair at a marina in St. Petersburg. They said the Paul and Luke got into a 32-foot Bristol sailboat and left the marina.

Police said they found Martikainen's 1995 green Ford Explorer at the marina. The sailboat was purchased in October by a friend of Martikainen's, and was recently painted "battleship gray," possibly in an attempt to conceal the boat on the water, investigators said.

The pair disappeared during a visit at Riverfront Park in Cocoa that was being monitored by a court-appointed supervisor because of previous allegations of child abuse against the boy, police said. Martikainen managed to elude the supervisor, and he and the boy have not been seen since 1 p.m. Saturday, police said.

It's unknown where Martikainen is taking the boy, and police are concerned because he has "no known extensive boating experience." Cocoa investigators are working with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the United States Coast Guard and other law enforcement agencies to locate the pair and return Luke to his mother.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-missing-3-year-old,0,1753785.story

Hmm. How long does it take to sail to Mexico? They can't stay in the Gulf too long--we have a really bad front coming in on Wednesday so they're going to have to pick a destination.

Witnesses say missing father and son from Cocoa escaped by sailboat
4:36 p.m. EST, November 29, 2009

Cocoa police said Sunday that the Palm Bay man who abducted his 3-year-old son during a supervised visit Saturday may have escaped with the boy on a sailboat.

After images of Paul Martikainen and his son Luke began flashing across television screens, investigators said witnesses called police and reported seeing the pair at a marina in St. Petersburg. They said the Paul and Luke got into a 32-foot Bristol sailboat and left the marina.

Police said they found Martikainen's 1995 green Ford Explorer at the marina. The sailboat was purchased in October by a friend of Martikainen's, and was recently painted "battleship gray," possibly in an attempt to conceal the boat on the water, investigators said.

The pair disappeared during a visit at Riverfront Park in Cocoa that was being monitored by a court-appointed supervisor because of previous allegations of child abuse against the boy, police said. Martikainen managed to elude the supervisor, and he and the boy have not been seen since 1 p.m. Saturday, police said.

It's unknown where Martikainen is taking the boy, and police are concerned because he has "no known extensive boating experience." Cocoa investigators are working with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the United States Coast Guard and other law enforcement agencies to locate the pair and return Luke to his mother.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-missing-3-year-old,0,1753785.story

If he painted the boat gray to avoid detection it means he was planning this! That is a large boat to paint!

I don't understand this---they must KNOW if he took the boy on the boat. His boat would be missing from its slip. Has the Coast Guard been looking since yesterday, I wonder?

I am still waiting to find out how on earth this happened in the first place!!

Martikainen must have planned out details, including possibly to hold visitation at a place where he could maybe take the boy into a restroom through one door and then abscond through another---or something like that.

I hope the supervisor was legitimately tricked and not just slacking off on the job.

Gee, Florida...do you think it's time to widen the search parameters?

Or are they waiting for more exact information?

If he painted the boat gray to avoid detection it means he was planning this! That is a large boat to paint!

I don't understand this---they must KNOW if he took the boy on the boat. His boat would be missing from its slip. Has the Coast Guard been looking since yesterday, I wonder?

I am still waiting to find out how on earth this happened in the first place!!

Martikainen must have planned out details, including possibly to hold visitation at a place where he could maybe take the boy into a restroom through one door and then abscond through another---or something like that.

I hope the supervisor was legitimately tricked and not just slacking off on the job.

Sure sounds like he'd been planning this. Painted over anything that would identify the boat. A few more details; the marina is in Tampa/St Pete:

Late Saturday, after the item ran on local news stations, a witness called authorities and said they had seen the Ford at the Salt Creek Marina at 107 15th Ave. SE, said Cocoa Police Department spokeswoman Ofr. Barbara Matthews.
Police found Martikainen's 1995 green Ford Explorer at the marina and began interviewing witnesses who reported seeing Martikainen and the boy get into a 32-foot gray Bristol sailboat.
"We found out (Martikainen) had a boat there and people saw Paul and Luke in a dinghy going out to a boat," Matthews said.
Police learned that Martikainen and a friend bought the sailboat in October. The boat was recently painted "battleship gray," Matthews said, possibly in an attempt to conceal the boat on the water.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/missing-boy-spotted-in-st-petersburg-police-said/1055194

Sure sounds like he'd been planning this. Painted over anything that would identify the boat. A few more details; the marina is in Tampa/St Pete:

Late Saturday, after the item ran on local news stations, a witness called authorities and said they had seen the Ford at the Salt Creek Marina at 107 15th Ave. SE, said Cocoa Police Department spokeswoman Ofr. Barbara Matthews.
Police found Martikainen's 1995 green Ford Explorer at the marina and began interviewing witnesses who reported seeing Martikainen and the boy get into a 32-foot gray Bristol sailboat.
"We found out (Martikainen) had a boat there and people saw Paul and Luke in a dinghy going out to a boat," Matthews said.
Police learned that Martikainen and a friend bought the sailboat in October. The boat was recently painted "battleship gray," Matthews said, possibly in an attempt to conceal the boat on the water.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/missing-boy-spotted-in-st-petersburg-police-said/1055194

They learned that he owned a boat, after the public told them?

Great. I really hope they are done dropping the ball. Enough is enough.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back