8 yr old charged with double homicide #6

Please continue here.

Previous Links:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75684"]#2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76097"]#3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77966"]#4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80836"]#5[/ame]

Salem

During a hearing Thursday in St. Johns, a judge set sentencing for Jan. 14. That's more than a year after the boy was charged in a double homicide.....

Under the plea deal, he won't serve any time in the state juvenile corrections facility but could be sentenced to a county juvenile facility. Treatment and probation are other options.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...8JpLgD9CC4FRO1

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    During a hearing Thursday in St. Johns, a judge set sentencing for Jan. 14. That's more than a year after the boy was charged in a double homicide.....

Under the plea deal, he won't serve any time in the state juvenile corrections facility but could be sentenced to a county juvenile facility. Treatment and probation are other options.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...8JpLgD9CC4FRO1

Guess this means the "letters" won't be seen? Judge would have ruled already, right?

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:

http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/docs...S%20122309.pdf

New document. Victim impact statement.
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noZme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by noZme View Post
    video report about the letters, possible influence on previous judge
    snipped by me.

This is exactly why Roca was removed. I wouldn't call the letters typical victims impact statements, they are dramatic and emotional, even making accusations against the boys biological mom, which is not the place for these types of things.

IMO unfortunately they do not represent the TRUE Tim Romans either.
    Last edited by JBean; 12-31-2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: fix broken quotes
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." ó Flannery O'Connor

14. The Following User Says Thank You to azmama For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by azmama View Post

They represent Tim Romans as his wife and daughters see him, and the impact his murder has had on them. Whether he was a cad and had affairs ect, he still did not deserve to be gunned down.
    Last edited by JBean; 12-31-2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: fix broken quote

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:

snipped by me.

This is exactly why Roca was removed. I wouldn't call the letters typical victims impact statements, they are dramatic and emotional, even making accusations against the boys biological mom, which is not the place for these types of things.

I've written and read aloud a victim impact statement. This is exactly what they are.

How do you expect the victims to describe the impact in their lives, having their father/husband gunned down by a cold blooded killer? How could that possibly be unemotional ?????? How about you try, just for a second, placing yourselves in their shoes? Instead of worry to death if the boy had a "normal" and merry christmas with his mother...think about the victims who spent Christmas without their father/husband.

They are simply sharing their feelings, their loss and their desire for justice!
    Last edited by JBean; 12-31-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: fix broken quotes

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:

so he should not have a "normal and merry Christmas"? -and what kind of Christmas should he have instead?

Quote Originally Posted by trofanji View Post
    so he should not have a "normal and merry Christmas"? -and what kind of Christmas should he have instead?
    Personally, I don't care if he had a Merry Christmas. I hope he spent a good part of it remembering what he did and missing his father and feeling bad about murdering Tim. I hope he recognizes what he took away from his victim's families.

Do you think it would be healthier for him to have had a happy, carefree, fun filled holiday without even giving the murders of two men a second thought?

I know Tim's family did not have a happy, carefree, fun filled holiday. Have you no compassion for them?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:

snipped by me.

But most assuredly they do represent the true Tim Romans to his family. The very ones that really count in this tragedy anyway. That is why victim impact statements are given by family. It isn't what he meant to others or even those who never knew him. It is to be able to express their own heartfelt words about a man they had known and loved for decades who's lives now have forever been changed by his senseless loss of life.

All victim impact statements I have ever read or seen or packed with raw emotion and are highly dramatic. That is why many times when they are read in court it brings everyone there to tears. They should write what they feel about the tragedy that has struck their lives.

God bless the Romans family.

imo
    Last edited by JBean; 12-31-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: fix broken quotes
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/docs...S%20122309.pdf

New document. Victim impact statement.
    Those were very powerful statements. My continued prayers for Roman's family.
    Last edited by southcitymom; 12-29-2009 at 11:05 AM.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:

snipped by me.

Are there restrictions surrounding what can and cannot be said in victim impact statements? I've never heard such a thing - I would think you could say anything you wanted.

"Dramatic and emotional?????!!!!!!!"......I would think if my father or husband were murdered in cold blood that would be a dramatic and emotional event for me. But maybe I'm just too sensitive......

Of course, much of how the children feel about "justice" is what they hear from the adults around him. That goes without saying. But it should also go without saying that those letters represent a side of Tim Romans that is true to some of the people who were closest to him.

ETA - I didn't watch the video regarding Roca. He's been removed and I'm fine with that.

How anyone could feel anything but empathy for Roman's wife and daughters after reading those is beyond me.
    Last edited by JBean; 12-31-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: fix broken quotes

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by noZme View Post
    I came back to try to view this, but can't find the video on the linked site.

One would think that the whole point of victim impact statements would be to influence a Judge, so I am uncertain what makes that particularly newsworthy......

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:

A Christmas in "juvie" would be my choice for him.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post

I've written and read aloud a victim impact statement. This is exactly what they are.

How do you expect the victims to describe the impact in their lives, having their father/husband gunned down by a cold blooded killer? How could that possibly be unemotional ?????? How about you try, just for a second, placing yourselves in their shoes? Instead of worry to death if the boy had a "normal" and merry christmas with his mother...think about the victims who spent Christmas without their father/husband.

They are simply sharing their feelings, their loss and their desire for justice!

I have written and read aloud a victim impact statement too. I had several pages because I wrote how the murder had affected my 4 yr old granddaughter, my mother who was in her 80"s, and myself. I spoke to the judge and I spoke to the killer himself. The judge just let us go and we said everything that we wanted to say. There were no strict rules about what we could say and what we couldn't and I really appreciated that. After waiting for 8 years to see him caught I think the judge figured we deserved to say what we wanted. It really helps with the healing process. And you are right...it is all about our feelings, loss, how we have been affected and our desire for justice for our loved one. No one should criticise anyones victim impact statement because it comes from the heart and that heart is hurting.
    Last edited by JBean; 12-31-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: fix broken quotes

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bobbisangel For This Useful Post:

A Christmas in "juvie" would be my choice for him.
    Just for satisfying vengeance feelings?
    I have compassion for the Romans and I can understand their feelingís!
    But I canít find any sense in locking away a 9 year old child.

This child murdered two people...one being his own dad....in cold blood. He lay in wait for them to come home from work and shot them one at a time...even calling Tim to come into the house so he could murder him. This boy is not normal. There is something wrong with him even though people don't want to admit it because he is so young. Normal kids don't do things like plan to murder their dad and his friend for no reason except that he was upset with his dad over homework.

I personally don't think that this is the last time we will see this boys name in the paper. It may be years from now but I don't think this will be the last time. Murder doesn't seem to affect him...not even murdering his own dad. That says sociopath to me and yes they come in all sizes and ages. Just glad he isn't my next door neighbor.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bobbisangel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel View Post
    This child murdered two people...one being his own dad....in cold blood. He lay in wait for them to come home from work and shot them one at a time...even calling Tim to come into the house so he could murder him. This boy is not normal. There is something wrong with him even though people don't want to admit it because he is so young. Normal kids don't do things like plan to murder their dad and his friend for no reason except that he was upset with his dad over homework.

I personally don't think that this is the last time we will see this boys name in the paper. It may be years from now but I don't think this will be the last time. Murder doesn't seem to affect him...not even murdering his own dad. That says sociopath to me and yes they come in all sizes and ages. Just glad he isn't my next door neighbor.
    I totally agree Bobbi. What justice has really been given if this kid just walks away like it never happened? I don't think it is anything to do with vengeance at all and even the Romans who have suffered tremendously due to the acts of this kid, do not want vengeance but they do want some semblance of justice. I think they deserve that just like anyone else who has lost a loved one in this cruel horrible manner.

I think the Romans family wants this kid to have mandatory treatment in a detention facility where he can be treated thoroughly. You are so right, no matter who tries to say this kid is "normal" is denying the fact that no normal kid this age plans and premeditates two murders. That is why this kid is in a league of his own in the first place and why this case made national headlines. In Tanya's impact statement she even says she has been told by those who know, that all the evidence points to this kid. With that it makes his interview even more chilling to me.

Tim's daughter, iirc, even expressed if this boy just walks away it is like saying "it was okay"(paraphrasing) and it is not okay and never will be. This kid isn't some youngster who did petty nonviolent crimes. He murdered two people in cold blood in one of the most cold and calculating cases I have read about in the past 20 years and as we watched him create his elaborate lies it was obvious that the murders did not bother him one bit. I truly believe this boy has psychopathic traits (conduct disorder) which would explain why he just doesn't care about what he has done. He may try to mimic remorse but imo that is just a manipulation game he uses when he knows he needs to appear a certain way around those who are keeping him out of detention.

imo
    Last edited by oceanblueeyes; 12-29-2009 at 10:36 AM.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel View Post

I have written and read aloud a victim impact statement too. I had several pages because I wrote how the murder had affected my 4 yr old granddaughter, my mother who was in her 80"s, and myself. I spoke to the judge and I spoke to the killer himself. The judge just let us go and we said everything that we wanted to say. There were no strict rules about what we could say and what we couldn't and I really appreciated that. After waiting for 8 years to see him caught I think the judge figured we deserved to say what we wanted. It really helps with the healing process. And you are right...it is all about our feelings, loss, how we have been affected and our desire for justice for our loved one. No one should criticise anyones victim impact statement because it comes from the heart and that heart is hurting.
    UBM:

Not for the first time in the discussion of this case, I feel like I have wandered into an alternate Websleuths universe where it is considered okay to belittle the statements of murder victims.......truly, this boggles my mind.

I'll say again as I have said before - I am on the side of the child who has committed these murders (IMO) in that I don't want him behind bars either.

However, anyone who is in this child's "court," so to speak, but is unable to appreciate and empathize with the level of pain the Romans feel has completely let go of the many nuances of this case in favor of simply blindly defending this child. This helps no one, least of all the child. IMHO, it actually harms the efforts being made to protect this child and get him help.
    Last edited by southcitymom; 12-29-2009 at 11:16 AM.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:

Just for satisfying vengeance feelings?
    I have compassion for the Romans and I can understand their feelingís!
    But I canít find any sense in locking away a 9 year old child.
    Not vengeance, but he should actually have some punishment for the murders. A Christmas in juvie is a mild punishment for what he did. Right now I suspect he has learned nothing, as he is living with Mommie and most likely the reason he murdered in the first place. It's more like he is rewarded for his acts. He needs treatment, but some time in juvie might be some reality therapy.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    UBM:

Not for the first time in the discussion of this case, I feel like I have wandered into an alternate Websleuths universe where it is considered okay to belittle the statements of murder victims.......truly, this boggles my mind.

I'm with you on that one.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:

Not vengeance, but he should actually have some punishment for the murders. A Christmas in juvie is a mild punishment for what he did. Right now I suspect he has learned nothing, as he is living with Mommie and most likely the reason he murdered in the first place. It's more like he is rewarded for his acts. He needs treatment, but some time in juvie might be some reality therapy.
    You think the reason he murdered is because he is living with his mommie?

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast