Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 8 yr old charged with double homicide #6

Quote Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
    Well imo Whiting could be covering his butt so to speak, because of past statements made. It also depends on what you would classify as 'physically hurt'. No broken limbs or trips to the emergency room does not mean NO physical abuse. IMO there was physical abuse although psychological/emotional abuse is quite enough... there may not have been any evidence of physical abuse at the time of the murders.
    I also don't believe this is the end of the abuse allegations, but since the boy: will get the treatment he needs, the mom is pleased with the sentencing outcome, the boy is out of the county, the step-mom is paralysed, the family is embracing the boy now, the town wants to be done with it... it may just be dropped. Now that everyone now KNOWS there WAS abuse in the household perhaps everyone involved can start the healing process.
    Woods is the one that said there was no physical abuse not Whiting.

BBM

What will be dropped? You really think the Judge is going to change her ruling? Imo, it will never happen and this boy will be closely monitored for years to come.

imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post

BBM

What will be dropped? You really think the Judge is going to change her ruling? Imo, it will never happen and this boy will be closely monitored for years to come.

imo

You are so ready to argue you don't even read the post quoted... the subject of ABUSE may be dropped.
    The Seeker / Sports Freak /

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dgfred For This Useful Post:

I am wondering what his mother is gonna do?

I wonder if she will consistanly visit and attend the family threapy portion?

Will she leave the state?

She is unemployed and living with Liz, no need to once he's placed...........she won't be getting Vince's SSI.....Just wondering aloud

BBM

imo

According to dgfred, because it comes out of a defense attorney's mouth, it's a fact? lol

I don't doubt for a second the BOY considered the rules and consequences in his home abusive. That doesn't mean they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    According to dgfred, because it comes out of a defense attorney's mouth, it's a fact? lol

I don't doubt for a second the BOY considered the rules and consequences in his home abusive. That doesn't mean they were.
    Ha, a bridge is missing something somewhere .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dgfred For This Useful Post:

You are so ready to argue you don't even read the post quoted... the subject of ABUSE may be dropped.
    I did read it too fast dgfred.

I apologize.

imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

I did read it too fast dgfred.

I apologize.

imo
    No problemo OB... I do the same thing sometimes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dgfred For This Useful Post:

Good luck with that case... although I hope it never comes to that.

You and me both!

But I think it's an important safeguard to have in place. Once he successfully completes his treatment is deemed rehabilitated and is released...it's nice to know if the treatment didn't work, he managed to fool the people there, and commits a felony ...that there is a recourse.
    Last edited by Linda7NJ; 01-15-2010 at 06:14 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:

Agreed. I doubt we'll ever hear enough of it to reach our own conclusions.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:

The sentence affords young Romero an opportunity for Redemption. What he does on his 18th birthday is up to him. Not the court.
    Without a legal name change he is doomed.

We all want to know his motive. Should that have not been a requirement of the Court to make a record of a killer's motives?
    Last edited by Shock; 01-16-2010 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Without a legal name change he is doomed.
    respectfully snipped

I have to disagree, here in AZ, both "Christian" and "Romero" are as common of names as "Steve" and "Jones", I believe in Maricopa County, he will blend right in.

Surprisingly, not as many people even know about this case as we might believe. I think people on these types of "crime forums" are extrordinarily interested in such things, in my daily interactions with other school moms, my bunco group, my Grandfather, etc. more often than not, people have not even heard of the case at all.
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." Flannery O'Connor

BBM

imo
    Woods said what he said so not to complicate the matter. Woods has no more knowledge of abuse to Christain than you or I. And you know it.
    This may be the toughest kid in recorded history. He shot two men with a single shot .22. Why in the world would he confide to a lawyer? Or anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by azmama View Post
    respectfully snipped

I have to disagree, here in AZ, both "Christian" and "Romero" are as common of names as "Steve" and "Jones", I believe in Maricopa County, he will blend right in.

Surprisingly, not as many people even know about this case as we might believe. I think people on these types of "crime forums" are extrordinarily interested in such things, in my daily interactions with other school moms, my bunco group, my Grandfather, etc. more often than not, people have not even heard of the case at all.
    Do you really believe that in 8 years the good folks in AZ (and the national media) will have forgotten the name Christian Romero?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shock For This Useful Post:

She is unemployed and living with Liz, no need to once he's placed...........she won't be getting Vince's SSI.....Just wondering aloud
    Why are you wondering about this?

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01....boy.homicide/

During a news conference after the sentencing, Wood was asked how confident he is the treatment will work for his client.

"I don't know, ask me in three years. Ask me when he's been through the process of having his brain picked ... then maybe we will find out," Wood said.

Asked the same question, Whiting replied, "50-50 ... I would bet it's going to be a tough road."
    And that is the difference between prosecution and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    I too am glad he will be leaving the county - he really doesn't stand much of a break there.

OBE, I will be very surprised to hear of any abuse at Romans's hands....though the boy could have perceived him as an adult who stood by and did nothing while the boy felt other adults were harming him. I (and this is just my opinion) think he killed Tim because Tim would have been a witness....I don't know that the boy necessarily planned out Tim's (or even his Dad's) murder way in advance - shooting Tim could have been a passionate decision made at the last minute when the boy was under the duress of having killed his Dad, not wanting to get caught and feeling like it was the right sort of "cops and robbers" type decision - to get rid of a witness.

I am not surprised to hear that there was "pervasive" psychological and some physical abuse - others close to the case have said that all along. I agree with you that the child's reaction was extremely abnormal even in the face of abuse.

My continued prayers for these families.
    You know it was said in court that this boy was either going to kill himself or his abuser.

Ironic thing is that if he would have killed himself everyone would have said "oh my can you imagine what kind of terror this 8 year old boy lived in" but he made the later decision and he is the devil's spawn. Think about about that. What a double standard.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chargergal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chargergal View Post
    And that is the difference between prosecution and defense.
    How are they different? They both at this time seem to have reservations that the treatment will work.

imo

28. The Following User Says Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

What a defense attorney says to get sympathy for his client is proof of nothing.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...johns0115.html

Wood also told the court that on that day in November 2008, Christian felt compelled to either take his own life or carry out slayings. Authorities never revealed a motive, but Wood said Thursday that, based on evidence and evaluation, he believes Christian had been emotionally abused at home, though not physically traumatized.

Apache County Attorney Michael Whiting disagreed, saying problems inside the Romero household never rose to a level of abuse. John Andreas Jr., a spokesman and friend to the Romans family, described Christian as "a spoiled brat" who took two lives because he didn't want to be spanked for failing to complete homework assignments.

imo
    Last edited by oceanblueeyes; 01-16-2010 at 11:11 AM.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

Never mind Charger. I found the link.

What a defense attorney says to get sympathy for his client is proof of nothing.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...johns0115.html

Wood also told the court that on that day in November 2008, Christian felt compelled to either take his own life or carry out slayings. Authorities never revealed a motive, but Wood said Thursday that, based on evidence and evaluation, he believes Christian had been emotionally abused at home, though not physically traumatized.

Apache County Attorney Michael Whiting disagreed, saying problems inside the Romero household never rose to a level of abuse. John Andreas Jr., a spokesman and friend to the Romans family, described Christian as "a spoiled brat" who took two lives because he didn't want to be spanked for failing to complete homework assignments.

imo
    bolded by me

Same as the DA, defense and DA argued only in their own interest so it's logic that the DA opposed what the defense says! I just ask me, why stayed the contend of the evaluation's sealed ?
    imo

32. The Following User Says Thank You to trofanji For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by trofanji View Post
    bolded by me

Same as the DA, defense and DA argued only in their own interest so it's logic that the DA opposed what the defense says! I just ask me, why stayed the contend of the evaluation's sealed ?
    imo
    I have never known of psyche evaluations being unsealed especially if the person is a minor and there was a plea deal.

imo

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

http://ktar.com/index.php?nid=6&sid=1252868

"50-50, I don't know," Whiting said after Thursday's sentencing. "The psychiatrist who treated him and worked with him -- one of them is not very hopeful, the other one holds out some hope."

Wood said that the boy might have killed himself had he not shot and killed his father, Vincent Romero, 29.

imo

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

I am wondering about all these things too, Linda. I hope she will move close and be involved in his treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargergal View Post
    You know it was said in court that this boy was either going to kill himself or his abuser.

Ironic thing is that if he would have killed himself everyone would have said "oh my can you imagine what kind of terror this 8 year old boy lived in" but he made the later decision and he is the devil's spawn. Think about about that. What a double standard.
    Either outcome (killing self or killing two others) is a strange and unique thing for an 8-year-old under pressure to do. IMO, killing two other adults is even more strange for a child this age than killing himself.

I've never thought this child was the devil's spawn, so I can't really comment on that part of your post, but who said in court that the child was going to either kill himself or his "abuser" - I haven't read that anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Either outcome (killing self or killing two others) is a strange and unique thing for an 8-year-old under pressure to do. IMO, killing two other adults is even more strange for a child this age than killing himself.

I've never thought this child was the devil's spawn, so I can't really comment on that part of your post, but who said in court that the child was going to either kill himself or his "abuser" - I haven't read that anywhere.
    What is obvious to me South is the defense, state and even his family all along felt this kid needed to be housed in a treatment facility full time where he is unable to leave. Now he may not be the devil's spawn but imo it shows they all know something is seriously wrong with this boy and they are all hoping upon hope that he can be treated. Imo this case has nothing to do with his preceived emotional abuse but is about the way his mind worked where it would make him capable of doing these violent acts. I think they all realized when he murdered Tim Romans too that something was very wrong with him.

But when his own psychiatrist who has treated him all this time has very little hope and the other one has only some hope of success then it makes me think this is nothing about healing supposed emotional abuse but hoping they can treat a child that has a major conduct disorder.

imo

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast