TX - A tiny starved boy's fight for survival 3 yr. old 17lbs

momtective

Lifetime WS Non-Mod
Reaction score
His mother has been jailed, and his protector is the state. His home is a hospital, and his health is nearly as fragile as the day he landed in the ER at Memorial Hermann Children's Hospital.

Weighing just 17 pounds, 3-year-old Kayvon Lewis arrived in the emergency room last month extremely malnourished, dehydrated and at risk of heart failure and liver damage. He can neither walk nor talk. He is blind and suffers seizures, sometimes five a day.

His mother, authorities say, was starving him to death, a form of child abuse so rare that doctors almost never see it.

Much more at link http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6743344.html

This is horribly sad. It just proves, yet again, that some people just can't be parents.

Hang in there little one. I pray you get the medical treatment you need. Stay strong. :rose:

Sweet Jesus. :(

And another CPS and family failure. From the article:
And as is often the case, a lengthy list of people knew about the boy's eroding condition, but failed to intervene.

[...]at 9 months of age... Doctors found he had seizures, scoliosis and asthma, underlying health problems. But they told CPS those conditions could not be responsible for his starved state.

“The only reasonable explanation for his starvation is physical neglect,” their report stated.

-snip-
CPS investigated its first complaint about the boy's care in January 2008. They found Kayvon's mother was “intoxicated on drugs” and the child appeared to be a “failure to thrive child.”
-snip-
The case was closed on April 1, 2008.
-snip-
In interviews, Kayvon's relatives admitted to officials that they had told Holliday to take Kayvon to the hospital on other occasions. But when she didn't, they did not call his doctors or CPS
-snip-​

bless this little guy...and I wish there was a way to charge everyone in the family that did nothing to save him. :mad:

Poor little boy. Just makes me sick.
The situation is sick. The mother is just evil.

3 months supervision after catching the mother high? I won't say they should have done something for the failure to thrive, as I have ever met a CPS worker that was equipped to make a medical diagnosis, and it doesn't sound like that came from a doctor.
(In this case it did signify neglect, but not in every case and the workers aren't qualified to make the determination.)

That's awful. My son is 34 pounds at 3 years old. I can't imagine! Will she serve a jail sentence? My aunt starved her boy when he was an infant and it caused some side effects for his future, but I don't think she served a jail term for it. (Isn't that the worst!?)

Just horrible. I'll pray for the little boy.

From momtective's link.

Now, two months later, Kayvon's intake of liquid formula is monitored constantly. Too much food at this stage can overwhelm the underdeveloped organs of his tiny 17-pound body. A white mesh glove has been placed over his left hand to keep him from sucking it. Kayvon was starved for so long, he had sucked his thumb raw and a sore developed.

This just made me weep.

....AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!! Grrr I just want to KILLKILLKILL this woman! Oh, and the relatives who saw that he looked like a human bobblehead yet never, God forbid, "interfered! AND his "pediatrician" who obviously is not fit to practice.:furious:

How can so many people fail this poor child? I wish they would bring charges against everyone, including the doctor, that failed to help him. Hang in there Kayvon. May God bless him, I hope there is a real family waiting for him when he recovers.

I don't understand how these poor children are failed over and over, time and time again. :furious:
God bless this precious child...
That's all I can muster without risking a TO.

There are some stories that literally take my breath away.

I wish we could find an update on Kayvon's condition, and be told that he is in the care of angels here on earth who will cherish him forever.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back