GUILTY NC - Jalenthia Caldwell, 22 mos, shaken to death, Charlotte, 29 Nov 2009

Kymistry35

It's never to late to be who you could have been
Reaction score
Website
bringushome.19.forumer.com
From the above link:
"Court and jail records show he has been arrested several times, including for robbery and larceny, but the outcome of those cases wasn't available late Monday. He was also awaiting trial for indecent exposure."
WHEN will these mothers learn that a 19 y/o boyfriend with no vested interest in the well-being of their child and a RAP SHEET are NOT suitable babysitters?! :banghead:

RIP, Jalenthia. :(

ETA: It's a shame that Jalenthia's mother was working to support her and she trusted this with her daughter and he did such a despicable thing. I hope they catch him. And fast.
I'm not blaming her...just frustrated that this happens over, and over, and over...

How sad, yet another story of the boyfriend babysitting the baby which ends in the death of the baby :( I'm so sick of it. This little angel is the same age as my daughter, she'll be two in January. Rest in peace, little angel.

<snip>

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - The man accused of murdering his girlfriend's daughter was arrested by members of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department Tuesday night.

Randy Moorehead, 19, is being held at the Mecklenburg County Jail and he is scheduled to have his first appearance in court on today at 1:30 p.m. Moorehead is charged with first-degree murder and child abuse inflicting serious injury.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=11594402

Hopefully this is the beginning of justice for Jalenthia.

Dozens mourn murdered toddler at candlelight vigil in Northeast Charlotte

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Tears fell down the cheeks of nearly everyone who came out Thursday night to a candlelight vigil for 22-month old Jalenthia Caldwell. Caldwell died Sunday after police say 19-year old Randy Moorehead physically abused her on Friday.

The vigil was held one night after Moorehead was captured in uptown Charlotte after being on the run. He is charged with murder and child abuse and being held in the Mecklenburg County jail.

Mother Lattayne Caldwell, who had been dating Moorehead over a year until Friday, said the capture of the man she once had loved was a relief.

http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=11618723

Just seeing her picture put tears to my eyes. What a gorgeous baby girl. Prayers to her family.

From the above link:
"Court and jail records show he has been arrested several times, including for robbery and larceny, but the outcome of those cases wasn't available late Monday. He was also awaiting trial for indecent exposure."
WHEN will these mothers learn that a 19 y/o boyfriend with no vested interest in the well-being of their child and a RAP SHEET are NOT suitable babysitters?! :banghead:

RIP, Jalenthia. :(

ETA: It's a shame that Jalenthia's mother was working to support her and she trusted this with her daughter and he did such a despicable thing. I hope they catch him. And fast.
I'm not blaming her...just frustrated that this happens over, and over, and over...

Why aren't we blaming the mother? She is the one who left her child in the hands of a murderer.

Why aren't we blaming the mother? She is the one who left her child in the hands of a murderer.

Blame the mother for what? She is a young woman whose daughter was murdered. She is not to blame. Put it where it belongs. On this s.o.b. If there is *any* evidence that would come out that this parent aided and abetted this a-hole in abusing her daughter, that's another topic. But, right now she is a young mother, who worked to support, and her 22 month old daughter is dead at the hands of another.

imvho

<modsnip>

The only person that should be charged here is the baby beating . :furious:

I definitely don't agree with some of the mothers decisions, but I stand by her and support her because SHE didn't kill her child- the did. She is in my thoughts and prayers.

Just my opinion.

The decent boyfriend-around-the-children scenarios don't make the news, but they are there. The mother already has her punishment :( , if ANYTHING else needs to be done to drill it into her head, I can't imagine what is worse than losing your child to murder.

Still, her "story" is common enough it should serve as a warning to everyone, and speculation about HER part in it is important. No, she didn't kill her baby, but she NEGLECTED her, whether she realized it or not at the time. I'll bet she would have taken more care finding a good day care for the baby than she did "researching" her MAN'S ability to care for her baby.

A lot of women feel shame, like there's something wrong with them, if they don't have a MAN. No doubt this was a newish relationship, where she was still love struck or trying hard to get back the "lovestruck" times.

Daycare is expensive, and on some salaries, working and paying for daycare is like not working at all.

No apologies for HER coming from me, here. Just a bit of understanding, and acknowledging she paid the ultimate price for a mistake she made and that should inform the rest of us. Each of us should spread the word to the young desperate women WE know in our own lives, lord knows there are plenty of them.

It's one reason I took my 26 year old daughter into my home when she got pregnant by a completely useless, abusive man. Whom she still talks to on the phone (he lives in So Cal, thank God). At least she doesn't HAVE to work and put grandson in day care. At least she can raise him without concern about buying formula and paying rent. Both he and she are SAFE. Because of my own abusive relationship, and because I am a dedicated reader here, I am trying to make a difference in the way I can, and bear witness to each of these tragedies :( as they continue to occur . . .

this one seems different than most BF killing a child cases. I read she had been seeing him for a year. that she and her family trusted him. he was considered the step father.

But in the same article it stated he was arrested and recieved probation for possession with the intent to sell cocaine in April 2009.

I'm thinking that Mom never dreamed this guy would harm her child.

So on this one I don't think mom should be charged. Although on other cases where Mom has seen or heard of their child being abused by the BF they should be charged. I'm tired of reading cases where mom had suspected abuse and did nothing. they are just as liable.

When are people going to learn that the monsters come in all colors, from all backgrounds. Men and women of all different colors and creeds do this to their own children and other's children, all day long, every single day.

the mother should have checked to see if he had a criminal record, HOWEVER, imo, since none of these offenses were against children, I don't see how she could have been expected to respond differently. Robbery and larceny aren't child related offenses, and indecent exposure can be explained in a number of ways, he hadn't even been convicted yet.
So, even if the mother could have chosen a better caretaker, I don't see her actions as criminal. Jalenthia is at peace now, it is the mother that will pay the price for the rest of her life.

ETA:
http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/fatality.cfm#perps
Under the heading "who are the perpetrators", it will give you the profile...incredibly, color is not a predictor of abuse, but that's just according to the people that keep all the statistics and analyze them without bias. They could be wrong.

Well, thankfully, I am not bias. You have every right to your opinion. For me, I am grateful I am of more openminded than black/white judgment thinking. No pun intended.

imvho

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A man who shook a 22-month-old to death is sentenced to ten years in prison, but family members say the sentence isn’t enough.
Thursday in court, Moorehead pleaded guilty to felony child abuse and he was sentenced to ten years in prison.

more here

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Man-gets-10-years-in-jail-for-shaking-baby-to-death-111216099.html

Yeah, I'd have to agree - 10 yr sentence, which is doubtful he'll spend all of it behind bars, hardly seems like enough...Hopefully he won't go on to do this again to another baby.

What a beautiful child I don't see it as a black white issue at all. There are plenty of monsters out there from all walks of life. The pattern I recognize is a Mother that is working to support the familty, and the "man" of the family is sitting on his butt at home watching the child. Another example: Riley Ann Sawyers who was abused by the worthless that Mom let live with them - in fact moved states away to live with. Royce Clyde Zeigler. The common denominator - lazy, stupid, evil men with desperate women that make very bad judgements and put men ahead of their children. There are a LOT of single mom's who are living with good men - because they choose wisely.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back