GUILTY KS - Karen Kahler, 44, two daughters & grandma murdered, Burlingame, 28 Nov 2009

believe09

Reaction score
I was suprised not to see this case here already-please merge if I missed it.

This is a former Kansas City official who lost his seat when he was convicted of domestic violence. He and his wife were going to court on custody issues in January and she had, say it with me folks, an ACTIVE restraining order against him. He broke into his wife's grandmother's home on Thanksgiving and shot everyone except for his 10 year old son who managed to escape to the neighbors and call 911.

He is being charged with capital murder in the deaths of his wife and children, and first degree attempted murder in the shooting of the 89 year old grandmother. He drove from Missouri to Kansas to execute his family.

Please take a moment to view the picture on Yahoo of him in his prison oranges-he is anorexic or clearly physically ill. I am leaning to the anorexia personally, but I suppose we will find out as the story unfolds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091201/ap_on_re_us/us_kansas_slayings

The article mentions he was a misogynist and was totally disinterested in his daughters. I suppose that is why his son is alive today....

I was suprised not to see this case here already-please merge if I missed it.

This is a former Kansas City official who lost his seat when he was convicted of domestic violence. He and his wife were going to court on custody issues in January and she had, say it with me folks, an ACTIVE restraining order against him. He broke into his wife's grandmother's home on Thanksgiving and shot everyone except for his 10 year old son who managed to escape to the neighbors and call 911.

He is being charged with capital murder in the deaths of his wife and children, and first degree attempted murder in the shooting of the 89 year old grandmother. He drove from Missouri to Kansas to execute his family.

Please take a moment to view the picture on Yahoo of him in his prison oranges-he is anorexic or clearly physically ill. I am leaning to the anorexia personally, but I suppose we will find out as the story unfolds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091201/ap_on_re_us/us_kansas_slayings

The article mentions he was a misogynist and was totally disinterested in his daughters. I suppose that is why his son is alive today....

BBM I would guess Meth!

Believe09--Thanks for posting this. When I saw it last night, I was too tired to do it, I'm afraid. My very first thought was of Phillip Garrido. Kahler is certainly gaunt, isn't he? I doubt, though, that he would have been reviewed well enough for this position if he were a meth user. That's pretty tough to hide. Something caused his new employers not to like what they got, though. I also wonder about HIV/AIDS? Possibly he was "in the closet" and had been for a long time...thus at higher risk of having been exposed to HIV. JMO

I had to actually look up the word "misogynist". I had the word confused with "anti- miscegeny" (one who believes in the mixing of the races--like ME!!) Four years of high school Latin never help with words from the Greek. So, a known hater of women? How would people know this? This isn't the sort of thing, especially when married to a woman and the parent of two daughters, that one would want the neighbors to know about. Hmmm. Has he published work about this. Does he openly espouse this or is this just a supposition by the attorney:

"From the facts I heard, I think he was a misogynist," Pingelton said."

It's very odd, though, that he placed the son in a safe location and also didn't harm himself. We've seen so much of that lately but the dynamics here seem to be totally different.

Given the location, I have to admit that I also instantly thought of the Mohler case. So far, though, I don't see a connection.

A very sad case. I'll be watching this one.

Believe09--Can you edit the title of this thread? The man's name is Kraig with a "K" and it sounds as if that's the name he goes by. Might get confusing. Thanks!!

Believe09--Can you edit the title of this thread? The man's name is Kraig with a "K" and it sounds as if that's the name he goes by. Might get confusing. Thanks!!

I asked to fix it for us...

I have no idea how a person could perform such an act of cowardice. If you are tired of life and the way your life is going, kill yourself, not innocent victims.

I so feel for this poor boy, 10 years old boy. I can't imagine the pain he is dealing with!

This man is as scary as it gets:

"Adam Fink, a Columbia computer forensics investigator, said in an e-mail to the Tribune he was hired by Karen Kahler in July to protect her computer from a relentless hacker. He believes her estranged husband was that hacker.

Calling him “very computer literate,” Fink said, “In all my years of investigating computer crimes and misdeeds, I have to say he was the hardest to track down.”

Fink said a remote user changed the settings on computers owned by Karen and Lauren Kahler, allowing the user to read every piece of data sent out or received from their Columbia home. Someone also changed the security settings on the router in the household to give outside computer systems access to the in-home network."

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/dec/01/slain-woman-was-target-of-online-stalker/

I found the two girls on Myspace--lovely, vibrant, normal seeming late teens. Lots of talk about missing Texas and friends, planning possible careers. Posted the day before they were killed. It's just overwhelming to think that they were there and now they're not.

How tragic. Such a senseless act of cowardice.

Here's a photograph of this guy at a "power lunch" in August. No matter what the cause of his weight like didn't someone go "What the heck is wrong here?". I'd be afraid of this guy.

http://www.columbiabusinesstimes.com/1698/2008/08/08/the-new-center-of-power/

TY Filly-he was impossibly thin then and he is skeletal now. Anytime you can see the tendons in someone's face and arms, there is an issue.

The story regarding the hacking interested me quite a bit-I know someone who has been in a similar situation and there is little relief out there in the courts. The high level stalking Kahler was doing is difficult and expensive to nail down to even get sufficient evidence before a judge which would perhaps support a restraining order....and we can see what happens when someone is driven to continue to try and control someone who is trying desperately to get away. A classic case of you can run, but you cannot hide. That is all this guy wanted to prove in the end. It is quite likely his itch has been scratched and now he will not care what happens to him.

These guys have to fit a profile-there has to be a better way of identifying someone with this level of obsession before they kill the object of the obsession....OMG. It makes me so very, very sad. His wife took all the right steps to try and protect herself and her family.

:(

<snip>

A Kansas grandmother who was critically wounded during a weekend shooting that left three of her relatives dead has died in a Topeka, Kan. hospital, a spokeswoman with the Kansas Attorney General’s office said Wednesday.

Dorothy Wight, 89, died shortly after 4 p.m. Tuesday, three days after a gunman killed her granddaughter, Karen Kahler, 44, of Columbia, Mo. and Kahler’s two teenage daughters, Emily Kahler, 18, and Lauren, Kahler, 16.

more here (but doesn't look like other updated details)

http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/1804835.html

RIP, Dorothy.

Last spring the Kahlers were involved in a domestic dispute. He was arrested and charged with domestic battery and she filed for divorce. (By the way, I think that today would have been his day in court on those charges)

He was asked to step down from his job not too long after the incident - officials stated that his maritial problems were effecting his job. Incidently he was the highest paid city employee of Columbia Mo - at $150,000 a year.

I think his weight loss could just be due to the fact he has not come to terms with his marriage being over, the charges he was facing and his loss of control over his family and the loss of his job. I have no idea if this is true, but I have seen it before.

This is an unimaginable crime that he will have to live with unless he gets the death penalty. His poor son! I can't imagine what kind of person does this!

This same small rural Kansas county, Osage, had another multiple homicide by a father back in january. The father killed his children (I think 3 kids) then killed himself after setting fire to the house. His wife - the children's mother was at work. She found out that something was wrong when school officials called her at work to see why the kids weren't in school. She called a neighbor to go to the house to see if her husband was there. The neighbor could not get an answer at the door and then waited for the mother to come home -- they went in and found the kids and father dead - the house has been on fire but i think it went out.

An excellent article on the legal stressors facing Kraig Kahler. It saddens me to see that his estranged wife was actually worried about his health and the fact that he was ignoring his daughters.

&#8220;It wasn&#8217;t like he was facing D-Day. That wasn&#8217;t the situation here at all.&#8221;

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/dec/05/Kahler/

No, but his wife, daughters, and grandmother-in-law did face D-Day.

I know Karen and her family personally. What did the dad do to their home computers for him to see all incoming and outgoing email? He was even sending emails from her account to her friends to slander her. Can someone do this by changing computer settings alone and without adding a computer program? Karen had a computer tech guy check her computer twice and never found any foreign software.

I know Karen and her family personally. What did the dad do to their home computers for him to see all incoming and outgoing email? He was even sending emails from her account to her friends to slander her. Can someone do this by changing computer settings alone and without adding a computer program? Karen had a computer tech guy check her computer twice and never found any foreign software.

I really know nothing about this kind of stuff, but recently my dad had a problem with his computer and called tech support. They were able to access his computer remotely with his permission, to diagnose the problem. I would imagine this technology could be used in illegal ways as well.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your friends, they were beautiful ladies.
May they rest in peace.

I don't think Karen ever really knew the danger she was in. You wouldn't think your husband of 23 years would be capable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back