1155 users online (230 members and 925 guests)  


Websleuths News

View Poll Results: do you want Casey to get the death penalty?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    106 59.22%
  • no

    73 40.78%

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 678
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752

    Death Penalty Vs Life in Prison and Why

    Always a lively topic!
    There are strong feelings in the forum as to what KC deserves if found guilty of murder 1.

    Feel free to debate and challenge one another but remember TOS and attack the post and not the poster.
    An interesting aside that may be important to the discussion issomething Rhornsby posted. he said that in FL, there is only life in prison as opposed to LWOP or life.

    IOW, A life sentence means a life sentence period.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    932
    I would be okay with her receiving life but I would much prefer the death penalty in this case.

    I don't buy the money argument for cost of Life vs Death. I think that the figures are exaggerated by those that opposed the death penalty
    This OPINION is MINE. There are MANY like it, but this one is MINE.

    I reserve the right to at any time.

    Want to know what all the hip, environmentally friendly babies are wearing this year?
    Check out Nana's Natural Nappies for the best choices in cloth diapering and accessories.
    Natural and organic products are available for mom, too!
    10% discount on all orders over $50 during grand opening. US only.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,319
    I'll post this again here for those who are interested in the discussion, regarding a cost comparison in FL (and other states).

    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/node/2289
    "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" - Voltaire

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Waiting
    Posts
    4,523
    Death. No question here.




    It Was Ancient Aliens!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the Woods In Georgia
    Posts
    5,481
    At this point, I would be satisfied either way...
    Although, the thought of her having to think everyday about the needle going into her arm, knowing that people are watching from behind a one way glass, knowing that there is nothing she can say nor do, and knowing that the people she wants to hold her hand can't...is more exciting to me, I can live with Life in Prison!

    After reading through a few documents, I see that it does seem to cost more to put someone to death, and I would much prefer tax dollars going into programs to help single mothers, or to help children who come from abused homes.

    The one thing that bothers me about her being sentenced to life in prison is the thought of her obtaining a free education while I have to work my tail off to put my 4 kids through college right by myself....
    Justice For Caylee Marie

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    932
    And I'll post this for the other side of the coin.

    http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/03/c...death-penalty/
    This OPINION is MINE. There are MANY like it, but this one is MINE.

    I reserve the right to at any time.

    Want to know what all the hip, environmentally friendly babies are wearing this year?
    Check out Nana's Natural Nappies for the best choices in cloth diapering and accessories.
    Natural and organic products are available for mom, too!
    10% discount on all orders over $50 during grand opening. US only.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%Agave View Post
    I would be okay with her receiving life but I would much prefer the death penalty in this case.

    I don't buy the money argument for cost of Life vs Death. I think that the figures are exaggerated by those that opposed the death penalty
    I only know that here in CA the DP is more expensive than LWOP. That is because of the endless appeals and a system that doesn't work.
    But with that said, I do not support the DP so I think getting these people out of society is the goal and having it be cheaper is just icing on the cake.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I only know that here in CA the DP is more expensive than LWOP. That is because of the endless appeals and a system that doesn't work.
    But with that said, I do not support the DP so I think getting these people out of society is the goal and having it be cheaper is just icing on the cake.
    I agree that getting them out of society is the ultimate goal but I think that it is still debatable which is ultimately more expensive.

    KC is very young so if she gets Life that would mean possibly being incarcerated for 60 or more years. Since her crime is against a child, she will require special treatment, most likely will not be in genpop, which is going to costs more and for many more years than most. She will appeal her case for many years to come and it will costs a lot of money, most likely footed by the taxpayer.

    Those who oppose can find cost comparisons that work in their favor while those that don't can find cost comparisons that work in their favor.

    There don't seem to be any definitive studies done by impartial third parties.
    This OPINION is MINE. There are MANY like it, but this one is MINE.

    I reserve the right to at any time.

    Want to know what all the hip, environmentally friendly babies are wearing this year?
    Check out Nana's Natural Nappies for the best choices in cloth diapering and accessories.
    Natural and organic products are available for mom, too!
    10% discount on all orders over $50 during grand opening. US only.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,319
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I only know that here in CA the DP is more expensive than LWOP. That is because of the endless appeals and a system that doesn't work.
    But with that said, I do not support the DP so I think getting these people out of society is the goal and having it be cheaper is just icing on the cake.
    Cost is certainly an element to me, as is the fact it has not been shown to be a deterrent as some have claimed.

    ITA that getting them out of society is paramount, but also feel that, given the rate of error, it would just be prudent not to execute, for the convicted's family, just in case exculpatory evidence were even found. The cost factor just helps me justify it, but I would still feel the same way as long as the costs were equal. However, it still contingent to me that LWOP truly means WOP so there is no further danger to society whatsoever.
    "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" - Voltaire

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Posts
    3,198
    Death. KC broke a human contract and the most generous thing to do, IMO, is to let her soul go to God to be healed. I suppose she could serve LWOP and be an empty vessel, that has been trained to be nice and follow prison rules, and read the Bible a lot-But the vibrant girl that was born to CA and GA is gone, and she can't be repaired.
    I know many people feel that the DP is not a deterrent, but in light of what has been happening in Florida as far as harm coming to children, I would say that follow-through on a high-profile case such as this can do nothing but send a strong message.


  11. #11
    DaughterAlice's Avatar
    DaughterAlice is offline ''I'm sorry if that sounds selfish, sweetie, but it's me! Me! Me! Me!''
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    512
    Hopefully we aren't putting the carraige before the horse, but IF she gets convicted, I would prefer that she get LIFE. This is such a charged case, DP would surely turn her into a martar to some people.

    Not sure where I really stand on DP. In theory, I think it's horrible & I disagree with it. But if J. Couey had actually lived long enough to receive his DP, I can't say I would have shed any tears for him.

    My hope is that Life for KC would give her plenty of time to discover some sort of remorse for what she has done. Caylee deserved a full and wonderful life. The person who killed her deserves so, so much less.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by cecybeans View Post
    Cost is certainly an element to me, as is the fact it has not been shown to be a deterrent as some have claimed.

    ITA that getting them out of society is paramount, but also feel that, given the rate of error, it would just be prudent not to execute, for the convicted's family, just in case exculpatory evidence were even found. The cost factor just helps me justify it, but I would still feel the same way as long as the costs were equal. However, it still contingent to me that LWOP truly means WOP so there is no further danger to society whatsoever.
    If the DP magically became less expensive overnight, I would still be opposed to it. Killing people just isn't something I can get behind.
    But just to be a pill and throw some fodder out there for people to get on me about ( as if i don;t provide enough) I do understand passionate murder to a degree. What I mean by that is, if i walked in and found someone raping my baby and I had a gun in my hand, I am quite sure i wouldn't hesitate to shoot to kill.
    However, were this person brought to trial i would not support methodically putting them to death after giving it much thought and deliberation.
    I am well aware that this is inconsistent and paradoxical, but I am just being honest.

  13. #13
    I'm fine with her rotting in jail. I just don't want her having any more babies. I also think she was considering killing Amy and CA and possibly GA, so as long as she's confined and can't kill anyone else, I'm okay with it.

    My biggest problem with KC and the DP is that I just can't stand the thoughts of CA on talk shows about it. I really can't lol.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    783
    In Florida, Life means Life.
    My blog: Florida Law and the Criminal Justice System
    My site: Law Office of Richard Hornsby, Criminal Defense Lawyer
    “The only real lawyers are trial lawyers, and trial lawyers try cases to juries.” - Clarence Darrow

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the Woods In Georgia
    Posts
    5,481
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    If the DP magically became less expensive overnight, I would still be opposed to it. Killing people just isn't something I can get behind.
    But just to be a pill and throw some fodder out there for people to get on me about ( as if i don;t provide enough) I do understand passionate murder to a degree. What I mean by that is, if i walked in and found someone raping my baby and I had a gun in my hand, I am quite sure i wouldn't hesitate to shoot to kill.
    However, were this person brought to trial i would not support methodically putting them to death after giving it much thought and deliberation.
    I am well aware that this is inconsistent and paradoxical, but I am just being honest.
    I understand JBean, I really do..
    Matter of fact, I used to feel the very same way you do, before I realized what was happening to the children in this world..
    I'll tell you what changed my mind.
    The Gulf War..
    I watched our local news of a solider who was killed being brought back with a flag draping his casket...I don't know, something in me that day just ignited.. especially after that morning hearing of a local woman who burned her child whom was 3 or 4 at the time with hot grease so bad that the little one died....
    All of this in one day was too much and that was the very day I decided that the death penalty was right..
    Now, I agree that the system is flawed, and I do believe that much must be proven in order to agree to a death sentence..
    I think I will always remain on the side that anyone who kills a child on purpose should get the death penalty, however, I want it proven without doubt.
    Justice For Caylee Marie

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 486
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
  2. Sentencing: death penalty or life in prison?
    By agent_scully in forum Annie Le
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 12:26 AM
  3. Capital Crimes/ Death Penalty VS Life in Prison
    By MiraclesHappen in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 255
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 09:08 PM