Death Penalty Vs Life in Prison and Why

do you want Casey to get the death penalty?

• yes

Votes: 106 59.2%
  • no

Votes: 73 40.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
Always a lively topic!
There are strong feelings in the forum as to what KC deserves if found guilty of murder 1.

Feel free to debate and challenge one another but remember TOS and attack the post and not the poster.
An interesting aside that may be important to the discussion issomething Rhornsby posted. he said that in FL, there is only life in prison as opposed to LWOP or life.

IOW, A life sentence means a life sentence period.

I would be okay with her receiving life but I would much prefer the death penalty in this case.

I don't buy the money argument for cost of Life vs Death. I think that the figures are exaggerated by those that opposed the death penalty

Death. No question here.

At this point, I would be satisfied either way...
Although, the thought of her having to think everyday about the needle going into her arm, knowing that people are watching from behind a one way glass, knowing that there is nothing she can say nor do, and knowing that the people she wants to hold her hand can't...is more exciting to me, I can live with Life in Prison!

After reading through a few documents, I see that it does seem to cost more to put someone to death, and I would much prefer tax dollars going into programs to help single mothers, or to help children who come from abused homes.

The one thing that bothers me about her being sentenced to life in prison is the thought of her obtaining a free education while I have to work my tail off to put my 4 kids through college right by myself....

I would be okay with her receiving life but I would much prefer the death penalty in this case.

I don't buy the money argument for cost of Life vs Death. I think that the figures are exaggerated by those that opposed the death penalty
I only know that here in CA the DP is more expensive than LWOP. That is because of the endless appeals and a system that doesn't work.
But with that said, I do not support the DP so I think getting these people out of society is the goal and having it be cheaper is just icing on the cake.

I only know that here in CA the DP is more expensive than LWOP. That is because of the endless appeals and a system that doesn't work.
But with that said, I do not support the DP so I think getting these people out of society is the goal and having it be cheaper is just icing on the cake.

I agree that getting them out of society is the ultimate goal but I think that it is still debatable which is ultimately more expensive.

KC is very young so if she gets Life that would mean possibly being incarcerated for 60 or more years. Since her crime is against a child, she will require special treatment, most likely will not be in genpop, which is going to costs more and for many more years than most. She will appeal her case for many years to come and it will costs a lot of money, most likely footed by the taxpayer.

Those who oppose can find cost comparisons that work in their favor while those that don't can find cost comparisons that work in their favor.

There don't seem to be any definitive studies done by impartial third parties.

Cost is certainly an element to me, as is the fact it has not been shown to be a deterrent as some have claimed.

ITA that getting them out of society is paramount, but also feel that, given the rate of error, it would just be prudent not to execute, for the convicted's family, just in case exculpatory evidence were even found. The cost factor just helps me justify it, but I would still feel the same way as long as the costs were equal. However, it still contingent to me that LWOP truly means WOP so there is no further danger to society whatsoever.

Death. KC broke a human contract and the most generous thing to do, IMO, is to let her soul go to God to be healed. I suppose she could serve LWOP and be an empty vessel, that has been trained to be nice and follow prison rules, and read the Bible a lot-But the vibrant girl that was born to CA and GA is gone, and she can't be repaired.
I know many people feel that the DP is not a deterrent, but in light of what has been happening in Florida as far as harm coming to children, I would say that follow-through on a high-profile case such as this can do nothing but send a strong message.

Hopefully we aren't putting the carraige before the horse, but IF she gets convicted, I would prefer that she get LIFE. This is such a charged case, DP would surely turn her into a martar to some people.

Not sure where I really stand on DP. In theory, I think it's horrible & I disagree with it. But if J. Couey had actually lived long enough to receive his DP, I can't say I would have shed any tears for him.

My hope is that Life for KC would give her plenty of time to discover some sort of remorse for what she has done. Caylee deserved a full and wonderful life. The person who killed her deserves so, so much less.

Cost is certainly an element to me, as is the fact it has not been shown to be a deterrent as some have claimed.

ITA that getting them out of society is paramount, but also feel that, given the rate of error, it would just be prudent not to execute, for the convicted's family, just in case exculpatory evidence were even found. The cost factor just helps me justify it, but I would still feel the same way as long as the costs were equal. However, it still contingent to me that LWOP truly means WOP so there is no further danger to society whatsoever.
If the DP magically became less expensive overnight, I would still be opposed to it. Killing people just isn't something I can get behind.
But just to be a pill and throw some fodder out there for people to get on me about ( as if i don;t provide enough) I do understand passionate murder to a degree. What I mean by that is, if i walked in and found someone raping my baby and I had a gun in my hand, I am quite sure i wouldn't hesitate to shoot to kill.
However, were this person brought to trial i would not support methodically putting them to death after giving it much thought and deliberation.
I am well aware that this is inconsistent and paradoxical, but I am just being honest.

I'm fine with her rotting in jail. I just don't want her having any more babies. I also think she was considering killing Amy and CA and possibly GA, so as long as she's confined and can't kill anyone else, I'm okay with it.

My biggest problem with KC and the DP is that I just can't stand the thoughts of CA on talk shows about it. I really can't lol.

If the DP magically became less expensive overnight, I would still be opposed to it. Killing people just isn't something I can get behind.
But just to be a pill and throw some fodder out there for people to get on me about ( as if i don;t provide enough) I do understand passionate murder to a degree. What I mean by that is, if i walked in and found someone raping my baby and I had a gun in my hand, I am quite sure i wouldn't hesitate to shoot to kill.
However, were this person brought to trial i would not support methodically putting them to death after giving it much thought and deliberation.
I am well aware that this is inconsistent and paradoxical, but I am just being honest.

I understand JBean, I really do..
Matter of fact, I used to feel the very same way you do, before I realized what was happening to the children in this world..
I'll tell you what changed my mind.
The Gulf War..
I watched our local news of a solider who was killed being brought back with a flag draping his casket...I don't know, something in me that day just ignited.. especially after that morning hearing of a local woman who burned her child whom was 3 or 4 at the time with hot grease so bad that the little one died....
All of this in one day was too much and that was the very day I decided that the death penalty was right..
Now, I agree that the system is flawed, and I do believe that much must be proven in order to agree to a death sentence..
I think I will always remain on the side that anyone who kills a child on purpose should get the death penalty, however, I want it proven without doubt.

It has to be the death penalty in my opinion. I don't believe it is a deterrent, I don't believe that God will heal her soul or that she will be forgiven (you have to want to be forgiven and admit wrongdoing for it to mean anything), I know it won't bring Caylee back and I know it won't change the past...but it is justice.

She took a life, she is remorseless, she insulted and spit (to put it nicely) on the life she took with the '31 days' of lascivious hedonism as well as the lies and the obstinance. She deserves to die, plain and simple. If i could, I'd throw the switch and sleep like a baby that night. She made this decision herself and no amount of pouting or disgusting family interference should save her. Have a nice day!

Having lost one child I can tell you that no amount of time would change feelings that intense for me. If my child died at the hands of another I would pray that person got the DP. Having said that, I am not positive I could vote for the DP in KC's case because I have no proof, at this point, how Caylee died even though I feel sure she died at the hands of her mother.

LIFE.

I am neutral on the DP but it is very problematic, ineffective and, not any deterrent. IMHO. Prisoners spend far too long on death row, it is far from swift justice, i.e., carried out in 3-5 years (if ever at all) so why bother? Let the powers that be above deal with her at a time of their choosing.

KC would relish becoming a martyr and would die protesting her innocence, leaving an un-necessary imprint behind her. Why give her the chance. Let her rot in jail and become forgotten quickly -- no reminders at every appeal.

The only thing I like about the DP is that KC will get a death qualified Jury.

The one thing that bothers me about her being sentenced to life in prison is the thought of her obtaining a free education while I have to work my tail off to put my 4 kids through college right by myself....

Comfort yourself in the fact that all the education you give your angels will pay for itself over the course of their lives, while any education she gets just helps her pass time locked inside. She'll be making 34 cents an hour with her education, spending it on gatorade and raman noodles, while your kids will reap the fruits of their labor.

As for life or death, I'd rather have her live her life out, thinking every day about how she can't even play on the internet, party with her friends, go out and enjoy a day at the beach, swim, walk freely, or even choose what she has for dinner any day because of what she did.

Not today, not tomorrow, but one day the full gravity of what she did will hit her square in the face, and I want her to live to see that day and deal with it every day thereafter. I'd rather have her cry herself to sleep every night because of what she has done than cry when they put a needle in her arm. Death would be too easy for her.

Having lost one child I can tell you that no amount of time would change feelings that intense for me. If my child died at the hands of another I would pray that person got the DP. Having said that, I am not positive I could vote for the DP in KC's case because I have no proof, at this point, how Caylee died even though I feel sure she died at the hands of her mother.

I'm sending you big hugs from one bereaved mother to another. :hug:

As someone whose child did die at the hands of another, I've pondered this a lot. The perpetrator of the crime against my child received, and served, a ten year sentence. Was that enough? No freaking way. However, long story short, at one point during his incarceration, I got word from another prisoner who was like the cousin of my cousin's wife or something. The message was "All you have to do is say the word...." For a variety of reasons, I didn't doubt the sincerity and validity of the offer, and didn't contemplate saying "the word" for longer than about thirty seconds. But for those thirty seconds...:waitasec:

I replied that I appreciated the thought and the offer, but that my wish was that he serve his entire sentence. I have mixed feelings about the death penalty in general, but just like with the killer of my son, I want Casey to have to sit in a concrete jungle, unable to get away from herself and her thoughts, for the rest of her life. I don't presume to know what happens after a person dies, but killing her just feels like giving her the easy way out. IMHO, of course. :twocents:

:eek:fftopic:[Oh, and I also have some serious feelings of resentment in regards to the free-education-in-prison thing. My student loan bills are astonishing! A few years ago, I took a class with a young woman who said her entire college education is paid for because she was a "ward of the state" when she turned eighteen. Was she a foster kid? Nope! She was a ward of the state because she was in juvy for beating the ever-living-snot out of another teenage girl for, admittedly, no real reason. Now, I've never confirmed the truth of her story, as far as juvy kids getting tuition, but the very idea just burned my bucket. Anyone here know if that is true?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni