1347 users online (345 members and 1002 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

OH - Ruth Marie Hurlbert, 20s, 1920s

This is/was my aunt. Although she disappeared long before I was born, my father (now deceased) reminded me of her existence several times throughout the years.

Ruth was apparently attractive and was a "hat" model for a local department store, which is no longer in existence. This was the mid-1920's, and Ruth herself was in her twenties. Speakeasies, bobbed hair, and the Charleston were all the rage. Her father, my grandfather, didn't want her to date or go out at night, and there were many arguments, culminating in Ruth leaving home. She left a note, but several months later contacted my grandmother, with whom she had a good relationship, by letter. Ruth said she had been in NY but was writing to my grandmother from Akron, Ohio, which was their home. No one ever heard from Ruth again. The family, while not rich, was doing well financially - before the Great Depression. My grandfather, out of embarrassment, never contacted the police.

There were rumors that she died somewhere in NY, not necessarily NYC, but no one in the immediate family could ever substantiate this info, not even my grandmother, Ruth's mother. All they knew was that she disappeared. Surely, if she had died there, my grandmother or my one remaining aunt who is still alive, would know.

Ruth was born in 1906 in Sandusky, OH. Other than this, the above info is the only info I have about her.

This is a family mystery that I would love to solve and perhaps reunite her with her family in Akron, OH.

Trino,

I have never heard of your aunt before, but I do a lot of research into old cases. Let me see if I can find anything for you.

Can you give me a brief description of your aunt?

I'll post any info I discover.

Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    Trino,

I have never heard of your aunt before, but I do a lot of research into old cases. Let me see if I can find anything for you.

Can you give me a brief description of your aunt?

I'll post any info I discover.

Marilyn
    Thank you. I've reviewed this with her only living next of kin, my aunt, who is in her 80's. My aunt is a really sharp woman who remembers a lot. She said that Ruth had a favorite aunt, and when that aunt died, the family even took out ads in the NY papers, asking Ruth to contact the family. She never did. Aside from her father, Ruth had 3 brothers and 2 sisters; all have died except 1 sister.

Ruth's complete name was Ruth Marie Hurlbert. As to a description, I really have nothing right now, except that she, as a hat model, was attractive. She was Caucasian. I'll ask my aunt if she has a physical description.

I bet if you found out more about her modeling (specific publications, time frame) we could find her

Unless it was just in-store? I can't remember I'll go back and see.

EDIT:

If you can, find out the name of the department store and if she was ever in any printed ads. We could probably find all kinds of information then!

Doing some geneology research - are her parents' names Truman and Augusta?

http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...archType=close

Quote Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
    Doing some geneology research - are her parents' names Truman and Augusta?

http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...archType=close
    I found that same info on ancestry.com. I think Truman was referred to as "Truie".

Since you are looking into this, I'll quit searching and look forward to seeing what you find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    I found that same info on ancestry.com. I think Truman was referred to as "Truie".

Since you are looking into this, I'll quit searching and look forward to seeing what you find out!
    While doing a google archive search I found this:
    "MISS ROCHE ASKS AID FROM YOUTH; Idealism of Graduates Needed to ...
    $3.95 - New York Times - Jun 18, 1936
    Waleh I Theodore L. Hubbard Bessie M. Walsh Ruth M. Hurlbert Ethel D. Welsh Hermlne R. Iaacs Mary E. Whitehead Dorothy M. Keppel Mary O. Williams i Mary E. ... "

I have no idea what this article is about but it interests me because it is a New York paper and was printed in 1935 - after she stopped all contact. Of course it may not even be her but it is a step in the right direction!

If any of you don't know what I posted, it basically is just a copy and paste of a "find" in Google's newspaper archive. You can search by Ruth Marie Hurlbert" and it gives you that link and all the names are just a preview of what is in the article.

They are all women - wonder if they're models?

SSI reports a Ruth Hulbert b. January 15, 1893-d.April 30, 1994 of New York
    Only listed resident of New York born prior to 1900.

All the info on Ancestry.com is info that I've posted. Truman/Augusta were her parents. Truie was her father's nickname.

However, they're long deceased. The father out of embarrassment would not contact the police after Ruth disappeared. (Difference times, you know.) Ruth wrote letter(s) home to my grandmother (Augusta) after her disappearance but would not say where she was. Then, the letters just stopped.

My living aunt suggested that Ruth must have died, since she was very close to my grandmother and would never have abandoned her. The family had a suggestion that Ruth went to NYC, then returned to Ohio, but there's no info after that.

As to the department store where Ruth modeled, it has been long gone.

My grandfather died in 1929 and was beside himself that Ruth never returned and always thought she would. (He was college educated, was a concert pianist.) My grandmother, Ruth's sisters and brothers, including my dad, wouldn't talk much about Ruth. My dad only said she disappeared without a trace.

I found a Ruth Hurlbert that is buried in Lake Co OH, died around 1927. I'm going to try for a death certificate.

Ruth appeared to fit the description of a flapper, which, of course, did not mean she was a loose woman, just that she probably went to speakeasies, bobbed her hair, and had good times as many of the 1920's young women did.

Check out Ruth Marie Hulbert born 1907 died 1960 either married or had a child with Arthur S Quigley. Seattle.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...=recordResults

I hope the link works.

Edited to add slightly different spelling, could be error on transcribing.
    Last edited by Robin Hood; 09-21-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Is it possible that she married someone the family wouldn't have approved of? Maybe she was no longer living in New York by the time the notice was posted?

I've found a Ruth Hurlbert born 9 October 1906, died Jun 1994 in Sun City, Arizona. Her ssn was issued in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    All the info on Ancestry.com is info that I've posted. Truman/Augusta were her parents. Truie was her father's nickname.

However, they're long deceased. The father out of embarrassment would not contact the police after Ruth disappeared. (Difference times, you know.) Ruth wrote letter(s) home to my grandmother (Augusta) after her disappearance but would not say where she was. Then, the letters just stopped.

My living aunt suggested that Ruth must have died, since she was very close to my grandmother and would never have abandoned her. The family had a suggestion that Ruth went to NYC, then returned to Ohio, but there's no info after that.

As to the department store where Ruth modeled, it has been long gone.

My grandfather died in 1929 and was beside himself that Ruth never returned and always thought she would. (He was college educated, was a concert pianist.) My grandmother, Ruth's sisters and brothers, including my dad, wouldn't talk much about Ruth. My dad only said she disappeared without a trace.

I found a Ruth Hurlbert that is buried in Lake Co OH, died around 1927. I'm going to try for a death certificate.

Ruth appeared to fit the description of a flapper, which, of course, did not mean she was a loose woman, just that she probably went to speakeasies, bobbed her hair, and had good times as many of the 1920's young women did.
    Did you ever find anything?
    I'm very interested to know what happened!

Quote Originally Posted by ValerieKay View Post
    Did you ever find anything?
    I'm very interested to know what happened!
    Yes, me too

Bump

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast