Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanics
    Posts
    26,153
    Another Vivid Object Lesson
    Time: 12:52 p.m. CST 26 December 2010

    # of Game Room threads on New Posts first page: 13 (out of 25)
    # of WS members posting on Game Room threads: 3
    # of WS members online: 105

    So, fewer than 3% of WS members online are dominating over 50% of what gets seen on New Posts, page one, at this time.

    Just sayin', just sayin'.


  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  3. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,800
    I personally am not exactly sure why this is a problem for people. I don't use the game room, so I just look for threads that interest me when I look at the "new posts." I have all the forums I moderate in my "User CP" because I have subscribed to those specific forums.

    I can see, though, how things can get under your skin once you start noticing them and getting bugged by them. I usually just skim or skip things that bug me.


  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhyaDuck? For This Useful Post:


  5. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanics
    Posts
    26,153
    Because when, let us say, one starts a new crime thread and sees its possibility of getting noticed sinking ever lower in a blither of "Pet Names, Alphabetical Order," "A, B, C's of Famous Dead People," "6-letter edition of change 1 letter" (etc. etc. ad nauseum), and "Things that Smell A-Z," one is prone to get a bit testy about matters.


  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  7. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,490
    The problem as I see it is that most (if not all) of the Game threads have one-liner replies (some with only a word or 2). So the volume of posts is high, compared to non-Game threads.

    It's more "hits" to page through a thread, due to more threads per page than if the Game (or any other) forum(s) were excluded. It's especially a problem for users who have slow band width, gosh forbid if they access via dialup.

    Just MHO, but I think it could improve this site's speed, by not bogging it down with returning more forums' threads than each user desires. Seems like anything that would reduce system resources would be a good idea, especially for a site with as many users as WS.

    I could be wrong, though.


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cazzie For This Useful Post:


  9. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,800
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Because when, let us say, one starts a new crime thread and sees its possibility of getting noticed sinking ever lower in a blither of "Pet Names, Alphabetical Order," "A, B, C's of Famous Dead People," "6-letter edition of change 1 letter" (etc. etc. ad nauseum), and "Things that Smell A-Z," one is prone to get a bit testy about matters.
    I can see your point, but I am not sure most people go through the "new posts." Personally, I start with my "subscribed threads." I hope crime threads aren't being strangled by game room threads, but I usually don't miss the topics I'm interested in b/c of them.

    But, again, I understand how annoyances can get at you. My personal pet peeve is when threads get bumped to the "new posts" search just because someone voted in the poll, even when they didn't actually post. That bugs me, though it likely doesn't bother many others.


  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhyaDuck? For This Useful Post:


  11. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanics
    Posts
    26,153
    I hear ya on the "voted in the poll" thing. For some reason, that irks me, too, and makes my hair greyer, lol.

    My bookmark for WS is set at my subscribed threads, but I like the freedom of seeing what's new on the board - indeed, I get quite a bit of my news here, stuff I like to peruse - and New Posts is the perfect venue for that (if it's not given over to a plethora of Game Room stuff, as has been the case these last couple months).


  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  13. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    I can see your point, but I am not sure most people go through the "new posts." Personally, I start with my "subscribed threads." I hope crime threads aren't being strangled by game room threads, but I usually don't miss the topics I'm interested in b/c of them.

    But, again, I understand how annoyances can get at you. My personal pet peeve is when threads get bumped to the "new posts" search just because someone voted in the poll, even when they didn't actually post. That bugs me, though it likely doesn't bother many others.
    I do, too. And I much more rarely go to a specific forum.

    I use UserCP (updated subscribed threads, and All subscribed threads) and New Posts. If I didn't use New Posts, I'd rarely find any new threads.


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cazzie For This Useful Post:


  15. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    I do, too. And I much more rarely go to a specific forum.

    I use UserCP (updated subscribed threads, and All subscribed threads) and New Posts. If I didn't use New Posts, I'd rarely find any new threads.
    What I usually do is hit my subscribed threads, read the new posts there, and then hit the forum link at the top, i.e. "Private Forums -- Jury Room," and then go to the forum itself to look for new threads.


  16. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    That setting applies to all users, it cannnot be customized on a per user basis. Discussed here:

    Exclude forum from New Posts and Today's Posts - vBulletin.org Forum


    However, I did find a modification that may work. But as it's Christmas I'm not going to work on it today:

    Selective Forum Filter - vBulletin.org Forum
    On another site, it was at the user level (thus why I maintained it from my UserCP).


  17. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,800
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I hear ya on the "voted in the poll" thing. For some reason, that irks me, too, and makes my hair greyer, lol.

    My bookmark for WS is set at my subscribed threads, but I like the freedom of seeing what's new on the board - indeed, I get quite a bit of my news here, stuff I like to peruse - and New Posts is the perfect venue for that (if it's not given over to a plethora of Game Room stuff, as has been the case these last couple months).
    I usually unsubscribe to poll threads pretty much right away, b/c I can't handle going to the thread and finding no new post when it says "new post".

    Except in those forums I moderate, dagnabbit - I have to keep looking at those every time it says "new post."


  18. The Following User Says Thank You to WhyaDuck? For This Useful Post:


  19. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanics
    Posts
    26,153
    My main concern (well, besides just being an easy-to-irk person by nature!) is that the preponderance of GR threads might give WS a bad name to casual users/guests - after all, we're not Game Room dot com. In fact, if I were a spy from another site and seeking to make WS less palpable to true crime aficonados, that's exactly what I'd do - infilitrate and dominate with off-topic threads on the prime new posts page.


  20. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  21. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,800
    I haven't looked as a non-member in a while - do the private forums threads show up for non-members?


  22. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanics
    Posts
    26,153
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    I usually unsubscribe to poll threads pretty much right away, b/c I can't handle going to the thread and finding no new post when it says "new post".

    Except in those forums I moderate, dagnabbit - I have to keep looking at those every time it says "new post."
    Yeah, me too, on the "unsubscribe." This was after I chased "new posts" on the JFK assassination thread for awhile ("Hey! somebody's finally solved it!"), only to find it was inevitably people voting in the poll. Argh!


  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  24. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanics
    Posts
    26,153
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    I haven't looked as a non-member in a while - do the private forums threads show up for non-members?
    Good point. I truly don't remember ever being a non-member, and knowing.


  25. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  26. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,541
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Because when, let us say, one starts a new crime thread and sees its possibility of getting noticed sinking ever lower in a blither of "Pet Names, Alphabetical Order," "A, B, C's of Famous Dead People," "6-letter edition of change 1 letter" (etc. etc. ad nauseum), and "Things that Smell A-Z," one is prone to get a bit testy about matters.
    I use the new post button and it shows on the far right side which forum it's in. I just scroll past the threads in forums that I don't follow. I'm not sure why this is a problem for some posters to do the same.


  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daisy7 For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 04:09 PM
  2. Private Forums
    By MistyGirl in forum Forum Finesse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 04:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •