Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #12 - G. Thomas Trial

http://twitter.com/jamiescoop

Price - this case cries out for death penalty

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post

Dillard - "do we add to the tragedy?"
    More tragedies are more likely with these animals allowed among other people. I feel for the people thrown in prison for crimes they didn't do or minor crimes. They could wind up dead from a 2 year sentence if they're thrown in amongst these beasts.
    Always JMO, FWIW, YMMV...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muffet For This Useful Post:

I don't know, I bet they are all cowards when it comes to face-to-face confrontations.
    The Seeker / Sports Freak /

Quote Originally Posted by yolorado View Post
    It might be better if GT got life. That might make this less likely to be overturned on appeal.
    A vereran prosecutor told me that a life sentence is much less likely to overturned on appeal. I'm afraid this one would be if the sentence is death.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:

Price - just let vics go "u got all their stuff"

Price notes Thomas had good peeps in his life

Quote Originally Posted by Indianagirl View Post
    Personally, I'd give them all death. There were no innocent bystanders in my opinon.
    There sure weren't. LWOP is a serious punishment, though.

I would prefer the DP for myself, the way we do it, with years of appeals, my own lawyer and team of advocates, kept out of the general population in my own cell...then put to sleep like a surgical patient.

Compared to that, LWOP would be the worst fate, imo. Of course, that's largely because I'd be living in hell around bad guys. Some people seek them out.

Still, I've read that there are skinheads waiting to abuse these guys... they'll live in fear every day. I hope.

ETA: That's not an endorsement of skinheads. I despise them too.
    Last edited by Muffet; 12-09-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: eta, clarity

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Muffet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by William N View Post
    A vereran prosecutor told me that a life sentence is much less likely to overturned on appeal. I'm afraid this one would be if the sentence is death.
    This is a different situation though. I think that GT will appeal even a life sentence. In order to assure life, we need to give him death first.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:

Surely judge knows difference between "abominable" (against nature) and "abdominal..."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kiki the parrot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kiki the parrot View Post
    Surely judge knows difference between "abominable" (against nature) and "abdominal..."

You've heard of the abdominal snowman right?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:

Did I just see Hugh Newsom sitting there alone? It didn't even look like Gary and Deena were there.

eta: I just saw Gary and Mary, as they were leaving the courtroom.
    Last edited by Muffet; 12-09-2009 at 06:15 PM.

I'd post a capture of GT, but every shot looks the same as the others I've posted.
    Basically:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Muffet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Muffet View Post
    I'd post a capture of GT, but every shot looks the same as the others I've posted.
    Basically:
    Ain't that the truth! Nomsayn?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indianagirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone for all the updates, I was in and out all day and this is first place I came to check in on the days events. I am going to take a guess that we will know GT's fate by lunch time tomorrow and he will get Life behind bars. Have a great night everyone...........can't wait for VC's trail to begin.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulieR For This Useful Post:

Judge says jurors shouldn't be swayed by emotion over vics families (fat chance)

3 aggravators a given - heinous, done 2 avoid arrest, Chris burned. Less certain is Thomas "substantial role"

It only takes 1 aggravator however. It's really more about whether jury thinks Thomas not primary, rates chance

No deliberations tonight. See KNS tomorrow or online for full report

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Torture-slaying trial, Day 8: George Thomas declines to testify
    By Jamie Satterfield

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/de...-make-sentenc/

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Muffet For This Useful Post:

I'd say 50/50 chance of death. This jury stunned us all with the previous verdict, so its hard to predict. I hope its death

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:

32. The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

'A person’s presence at the scene of a crime, along with
    an association with the perpetrator of that crime, does not make one criminally
    responsible. Under a theory of criminal responsibility, an individual's presence and
    companionship with the perpetrator of a felony before and after the commission of an
    offense are circumstances from which his participation or criminal intent in the crime
    may be inferred.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Boytwnmom View Post
    I look at it as the MERE presence at a crime and MERELY knowing the perp can't make the defendant criminally responsible. Here the jury, the finder of fact, found the facts supportive of the inference that he was criminally responsible. Here we had extended presence over many hours during a heinous crime, participation in enjoying the fruits of that crime, apparent "comfort" with the criminals and their acts, etc. and perhaps even a conclusion that it was not reasonable to believe a person present through all of this was not actually invovled. I see all of that as leading a reasonable juror to conclude that the defendant's conduct went well beyond mere presense and acquaintance and entered the realm of criminal responsibility. I don't think it would be proper for the judge to overrule that determination as I don't think he can make a case for the proposition that there was no reading of the facts under which the defendant could be found criminally responsible. But I guess we will have to wait and see.
    Oh ok btm so the jury can draw inferences from companionship... gotcha so you must mean as in consorting w beforehand, cooperating during, or ridin around in cahoots w afterward in Channon's 4R... kinda like that? Cuz I'm inferring a whole #lluva lot from that and it looks like the jury did too.

Last edited by kiki the parrot; 12-09-2009 at 10:41 PM.

New thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4545200#post4545200"]Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #13 - G. Thomas Trial - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728