604 users online (73 members and 531 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Transgender Teen: McDonald's Refused To Hire Me

http://www.kpho.com/news/21889424/detail.html

Zikerria Bellamy, 17, said two managers at an Orlando restaurant wouldn't give her an interview on two separate occasions in July. Later, she said a manager left her a voice mail, using a gay slur to let her know she wouldn't be hired.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

Well, if this is the case, it was a poor choice on behalf of the McDonalds where she interviewed. Quite frankly, it makes no sense to me-what did they care and how did the issue come up if the first place?
    Last edited by believe09; 12-07-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: I am an idiot, lol
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The voice mail is on youtube:
    Last edited by KateB; 06-07-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

I don't believe it. There is more to this story for sure.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    http://www.kpho.com/news/21889424/detail.html

Zikerria Bellamy, 17, said two managers at an Orlando restaurant wouldn't give her an interview on two separate occasions in July. Later, she said a manager left her a voice mail, using a gay slur to let her know she wouldn't be hired.
    Thats so sad, shame on McDonalds!!
    My Beautiful Precious , I miss you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    I don't believe it. There is more to this story for sure.
    I can believe it, I have many TG friends and and a couple TG relatives
    My Beautiful Precious , I miss you so much!

She should go to Walmart. There's a young guy working at my local store who dresses like a girl, wearing make up and blouse. He doesn't even look at all female at this time anyway and did his job just fine.

I bet McDonalds fired the people involved. They do not tolerate discrimination and this is also bad publicity for them.

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Something doesn't sound right about that voicemail. It's like the McDonald's employee took the "deception" (as he saw it) personally. Maybe he had been hitting on her and then when he found out she was TG, he got upset about that??? I'm just speculating because that voicemail seems over-the-top about lying, etc. JMO.

Edited to add: he was still wrong, though, regardless of WHY he felt the need to leave the voicemail. He was representing McDonald's when he left the voicemail and consequently I think a) he will be fired and b) I think she has a case for a lawsuit against McD. The line where he says, "We do not hire fa...ts" is basis alone. If that's not discrimination, I don't know what is.
    Last edited by justbeachy; 12-08-2009 at 09:43 AM.

They did fire the employee who left the phone message because they do have zero tolerance. I am a little disappointed by the "lawsuit" being threatened. I think I would have more respect for her if she would apply again...jmo.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Our local McDonald's can never get the orders right. I say if this young lady can do a good job then she should be hired. I don't care what her sexual preference is, gender, or how she dresses. She's going to be wearing a uniform anyway. She looks very feminine to me.

Wonder if she'll sue and get mega bucks from McDonald's?

I was about to dismiss this until I heard the Voicemail. McD's would have been home free if that voicemail was never left.

I also think there is more to the story than meets the eye here. It really sounds like he thought she was a girl and was maybe hitting on her and found out the truth. Its no excuse for that message left but it really does sound like more than she is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by justbeachy View Post
    Something doesn't sound right about that voicemail. It's like the McDonald's employee took the "deception" (as he saw it) personally. Maybe he had been hitting on her and then when he found out she was TG, he got upset about that??? I'm just speculating because that voicemail seems over-the-top about lying, etc. JMO.

Edited to add: he was still wrong, though, regardless of WHY he felt the need to leave the voicemail. He was representing McDonald's when he left the voicemail and consequently I think a) he will be fired and b) I think she has a case for a lawsuit against McD. The line where he says, "We do not hire fa...ts" is basis alone. If that's not discrimination, I don't know what is.
    That was my thought too... maybe she even flirted with him a little bit then he freaked when someone told him she was TG.

I think he probably thought she'd be too embarassed to do anything about it, that's why he "braved" a voice mail. Well, good for her for standing up for herself and her rights.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

yeah, aside from the slur, that message is way too personal for a manager to leave an applicant

weird

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast