604 users online (73 members and 531 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,075

    Transgender Teen: McDonald's Refused To Hire Me

    http://www.kpho.com/news/21889424/detail.html

    Zikerria Bellamy, 17, said two managers at an Orlando restaurant wouldn't give her an interview on two separate occasions in July. Later, she said a manager left her a voice mail, using a gay slur to let her know she wouldn't be hired.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oh Captain, My Captain
    Posts
    28,119
    Well, if this is the case, it was a poor choice on behalf of the McDonalds where she interviewed. Quite frankly, it makes no sense to me-what did they care and how did the issue come up if the first place?
    Last edited by believe09; 12-07-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: I am an idiot, lol
    email me


    Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99


    Bob Harrod SAR


    “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    407
    The voice mail is on youtube:
    Last edited by KateB; 06-07-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    I don't believe it. There is more to this story for sure.


    Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlotte ,North Carolina
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    http://www.kpho.com/news/21889424/detail.html

    Zikerria Bellamy, 17, said two managers at an Orlando restaurant wouldn't give her an interview on two separate occasions in July. Later, she said a manager left her a voice mail, using a gay slur to let her know she wouldn't be hired.
    Thats so sad, shame on McDonalds!!
    My Beautiful Precious , I miss you so much!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlotte ,North Carolina
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    I don't believe it. There is more to this story for sure.
    I can believe it, I have many TG friends and and a couple TG relatives
    My Beautiful Precious , I miss you so much!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    She should go to Walmart. There's a young guy working at my local store who dresses like a girl, wearing make up and blouse. He doesn't even look at all female at this time anyway and did his job just fine.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    madison, wi
    Posts
    59
    I bet McDonalds fired the people involved. They do not tolerate discrimination and this is also bad publicity for them.

  9. #9
    justbeachy's Avatar
    justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,561
    Something doesn't sound right about that voicemail. It's like the McDonald's employee took the "deception" (as he saw it) personally. Maybe he had been hitting on her and then when he found out she was TG, he got upset about that??? I'm just speculating because that voicemail seems over-the-top about lying, etc. JMO.

    Edited to add: he was still wrong, though, regardless of WHY he felt the need to leave the voicemail. He was representing McDonald's when he left the voicemail and consequently I think a) he will be fired and b) I think she has a case for a lawsuit against McD. The line where he says, "We do not hire fa...ts" is basis alone. If that's not discrimination, I don't know what is.
    Last edited by justbeachy; 12-08-2009 at 09:43 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oh Captain, My Captain
    Posts
    28,119
    They did fire the employee who left the phone message because they do have zero tolerance. I am a little disappointed by the "lawsuit" being threatened. I think I would have more respect for her if she would apply again...jmo.
    email me


    Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99


    Bob Harrod SAR


    “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,333
    Our local McDonald's can never get the orders right. I say if this young lady can do a good job then she should be hired. I don't care what her sexual preference is, gender, or how she dresses. She's going to be wearing a uniform anyway. She looks very feminine to me.

    Wonder if she'll sue and get mega bucks from McDonald's?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philly 'Burbs, PA
    Posts
    1,311
    I was about to dismiss this until I heard the Voicemail. McD's would have been home free if that voicemail was never left.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,097
    I also think there is more to the story than meets the eye here. It really sounds like he thought she was a girl and was maybe hitting on her and found out the truth. Its no excuse for that message left but it really does sound like more than she is saying.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,395
    Quote Originally Posted by justbeachy View Post
    Something doesn't sound right about that voicemail. It's like the McDonald's employee took the "deception" (as he saw it) personally. Maybe he had been hitting on her and then when he found out she was TG, he got upset about that??? I'm just speculating because that voicemail seems over-the-top about lying, etc. JMO.

    Edited to add: he was still wrong, though, regardless of WHY he felt the need to leave the voicemail. He was representing McDonald's when he left the voicemail and consequently I think a) he will be fired and b) I think she has a case for a lawsuit against McD. The line where he says, "We do not hire fa...ts" is basis alone. If that's not discrimination, I don't know what is.
    That was my thought too... maybe she even flirted with him a little bit then he freaked when someone told him she was TG.

    I think he probably thought she'd be too embarassed to do anything about it, that's why he "braved" a voice mail. Well, good for her for standing up for herself and her rights.

    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,166
    yeah, aside from the slur, that message is way too personal for a manager to leave an applicant

    weird

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2016, 12:10 PM
  2. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 05-08-2015, 12:22 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2014, 08:28 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2013, 05:08 PM