Thread 8
Thread 7
Thread 6
Thread 5
Thread 4
Thread 3
Thread 2
Thread 1

Continue here with discussion on Somer's case.

Post links to SR registry only, do not copy/paste info on SO to this thread, including photographs and inmate details.

Do not post personal information -- name, address, phone number -- of anyone LE has not named as suspect in the murder of Somer Thompson here.

References to minors other than the victim should be initials only (AC, AT, ST). When in doubt about whether you can use someone's name, use initials and provide link to source of information.

Links ONLY to Facebook/MySpace/Twitter pages with description of what you want us to look at. Don't copy and paste information here.

Back to the last page where it was mentioned about LE searching the ST home, I don't know. But a protocol was posted on one of the pages here that did say to search the home thoroughly. So I am ASSuming that they did search the cars and home, and I would ASSume that LE would notice something strange, but who knows?

At any rate, the garbage comment by Chee is very interesting about them searching early on, especially when you connect it with the neighbor woman talking about the trash already being taken. The curious thing about her comment was something like, "Take that comment how you want." Very curious comment to me.

I think they must have had some kind of tip. The whole garbage thing seemed cut and dried to me, but now I'm not sure of that at all either. I'm not sure that we have come to a conclusion on this garbage issue. When?

Aw shoot. Chee, I had the whole answer written out and everything so nicely for you too. Then bam! My reply went spinning off into the ether.

Would you be so kind as to repost your pearl of a clue over here to this page? Thank you ever so much, my friend.

Back to the last page where it was mentioned about LE searching the ST home, I don't know. But a protocol was posted on one of the pages here that did say to search the home thoroughly. So I am ASSuming that they did search the cars and home, and I would ASSume that LE would notice something strange, but who knows?

LOL, I like to ASSume a lot also!

I am sure it is protocol. It just seems a lot of things are missed with missing children cases during the urgency of the search. IMO everything should be treated as a crime scene now. We have so many more tools to work with forensically. Back in the day there would be nothing but finger prints and fibers to work with. Now there is a treasure trove of extremely sensitive evidence that could be ruined by people traipsing all over.

The only thing I'm sure of that the Somer is dead. But I do find that article coupled with the neighbor lady who didn't want to be identified talking about the trash and saying to take it how ever you want.... very strange indeed. Someone HAD to have seen something and alerted the authorities about it within the first few hours of the interviews they were conducting - don't you think? Possibly this unidentified woman saw something suspicious and the LE have told her not to repeat it because it could be relevant to the case.

Have your tissue handy if you have not watched this

[video=youtube;wlVjDqAb_1A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlVjDqAb_1A&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Aw shoot. Chee, I had the whole answer written out and everything so nicely for you too. Then bam! My reply went spinning off into the ether.

Would you be so kind as to repost your pearl of a clue over here to this page? Thank you ever so much, my friend.

No problem at all; would this be the one?
I FOUND THE ARTICLE!!!!!! I am at work & will have to log back off before I get in trouble, but want to give you the link I found yesterday..... see you later in the afternoon when I get home.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-disappearance

No problem at all; would this be the one?
I FOUND THE ARTICLE!!!!!! I am at work & will have to log back off before I get in trouble, but want to give you the link I found yesterday..... see you later in the afternoon when I get home.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-disappearance

Ahem. That was fast. I went to do a refresher course before attempting my response and uh. It was "Page Not Found". Can you check the link, just to be sure.

ok folks, I just can't go along that they found Somer on Tuesday instead of Wed, or that they found her somewhere other than the landfill.

Sherriff Woods is talking about Haleigh's case here: "Woods, in Putnam County, said investigators searched the landfill as part of Haleigh's investigation as well. Such searches are routine parts of missing-child and suspected-abduction cases.
"I personally was inside a dumpster, searching that morning," Woods said. The "meticulous" landfill search came a little later, but that's because trash pickup in the area did not occur immediately after Haleigh was reported missing as it did in Somer's case," he said.

I read that as him saying that in Haleigh's case they were personally able to search dumpsters prior to garbage pick up in Haleigh's case because they had more time - the garbage was not picked up as soon as it was in Somer's case.

In Somer's case, LE is clear that very soon after garbage pick up started Tuesday, they assigned LE to started following the trucks as they picked up dumpsters and they followed them to the changing station that day, and then to the landfill. They noted which truck picked up in which part of the neighborhood. They secured the landfill Tuesday night and searched on Wednesday - as each truck dumped its contents. Since they already knew where that truck had picked up - which part of the neighborhood, that gave them an immediate geographic advantage - it's possible that something about the contents surrounding her body could even have been the reason they searched the abandoned house. Maybe they found mail or identifying data about neighbors of the burned out house in close enough proximity to her remains that they thought the burned out house was a good place to process. This could be especially true since they had a guy working AT that house being apparently the last person to see her alive.

If they'd found her body still in the dumpster, still in OP (which I don't believe for a minute), they would have processed the area and there would have been a crime scene and scores of police and media, they may also have transported the entire dumpster to their crime lab like they did with the case of the woman who was found in a dumpster in FL earlier this year. Still that area would be covered with police and crime scene tape.

Also, I believe the paper said that earlier on Wednesday Somer's mother was still asking the abductor to bring her daughter back. Its inconceivable to me that if LE had found a body that appeared to be Somer's on Tuesday, that they would have kept that from the mother overnight. Early Wednesday afternoon, media said she hadn't been found yet and they were monitoring the search at the trash dump. Then when the body was found Wednesday, they took photos of the ME's vehicle at the dump.

The Sherriff says he told the mother about the likelihood of the remains being Somer's at the time they were found, then called her to confirm Wednesday night (note - someone told me that they had confirmed the identity before the autopsy, and I said I couldn't remember, but you're right, reviewing media from then, it looks like this is true): "The sheriff said he had told the girl's mother, Diena Thompson, to prepare for the worst, and called her after receiving the news Wednesday night." http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/dpg_Somer_Thompson_Missing_Fla_Girl_Case_fc_20091022_4166280

I think they found the body when and where they said they did. I don't think they are making it up when they describe being at the landfill and seeing, "a child's lifeless legs," sticking up from the refuse, there, at the landfill. If they'd found her on Tues in a dumpster, there would have been huge police presence at that site, and the crime lab there processing the SITE, even if they took the dumpster to their place for processing.

It makes sense that Equusearch would still be searching Wed morning if they found her later on Wednesday as they said.

I don't see why LE would misinform the public about this.

THANK YOU

If Tim Miller says he was there when they found Somer's body and he wasn't there until Wednesday, then I'm still going with Wednesday.

Chicago - I think it is protocol that they search the home - to process it, really. But, we do know that those searches have sometimes not been adequate in the past. I have to hope though that since they had just put their officers through training on protocol that they followed the procedures on searching the home. That said, the Amber alert certainly got out much later than one would have expected...

At any rate, the garbage comment by Chee is very interesting about them searching early on, especially when you connect it with the neighbor woman talking about the trash already being taken. The curious thing about her comment was something like, "Take that comment how you want." Very curious comment to me.

I think they must have had some kind of tip. The whole garbage thing seemed cut and dried to me, but now I'm not sure of that at all either. I'm not sure that we have come to a conclusion on this garbage issue. When?

The only thing I'm sure of that the Somer is dead. But I do find that article coupled with the neighbor lady who didn't want to be identified talking about the trash and saying to take it how ever you want.... very strange indeed. Someone HAD to have seen something and alerted the authorities about it within the first few hours of the interviews they were conducting - don't you think? Possibly this unidentified woman saw something suspicious and the LE have told her not to repeat it because it could be relevant to the case.

Ya know - I think you guys might just be onto something...

Now THAT, the neighbor's comment, was just plain weird. I still don't know what to make of that. I had wondered if she was making some kind of catty comment about the family, or about the kids not being supervised well, or trying to insinuate something about their level of care (kind of like saying, it was only a matter of time until something happened to one of those kids). But even if that was the case, referencing the trash was just unconscionable. Whatever her motives, it was a very strange/hurtful thing to say. I did kind of a scooby doo double take on that one. HUH??!!

Please do not quote in its entirety if you are bringing a correction or addition to my attention.

Instead, copy and paste the parts you want to discuss (or Quote and remove all but text you want to reference). This post is huge and growing.

List of FACTS in Somer's case: Version VIII

Credit for compiling goes to many people including but not limited to SharetheLight, Cajun Girl, CCane, Dee10, Doggies, Isabella, MammaD.

I'm trying to remember to add names here as people give information. If you know that I've updated this because of something you've provided, let me know, and I'll add your name. I still don't have a good system for updating this, even after 8 versions.

These are facts as reported by media and/or from the MPR. Tried to put links to source where available.

SOMER
· Somer Thompson was 7 years old when she disappeared on October 19, 2009.
· Somer was wearing a cranberry jump suit (sweat suit) with a matching top to the bottom and pink satin stripes down the sides of arms and legs, and a black shirt underneath.
· Somer's birthday is April 5, 2002.
· Somer was not in the habit of wandering off, according to her mom in video (on left, scroll down in video list) Diena Thompson Addresses The Media.
· Somer routinely wandered around and nobody knew where she was, according to a babysitter.
· Somer wore a red ribbon in her ponytail on October 19.
· AB (neighbor) drove Somer to school on October 19 and said it was a normal morning and Somer was her usual self.
· Somer went to school (GPE) and left school at regular time (2:32 p.m.).
· :star1:Somer initially started walking with her friend M. “Minutes before she was walking with this little girl. I mean, yea it's definitely sunk in...It gives me goose bumps...thinking it could have been fifty-fifty, I mean, just like that,” said GC.
· Somer caught up with her sister AT and brother ST (twin) in the 1100 block of Gano.
· AT brought up the argument Somer had with MC and Somer ran ahead to walk alone.
· An AMBER Alert was issued on Tuesday morning. It does not mention the book bag or lunchbox, but mentions her possibly wearing white hat and scarf. JPG of AMBER Alert
· Somer lived with her mom Diena Thompson, her twin brother ST, her older sister AT. (Unsure whether half-brother AC lived with them)
· Somer's body was found at Chesser Island Landfill in Folkston, GA. She was tentatively identified by her clothing and a birthmark.
· Somer's lunchbox and book bag (see sketches as released by LE and shown on AMW) have not been found. Details first reported on AMW November 7. (Previous reports had not mentioned description of lunchbox; backpack/book bag was described several ways, now believed to be in error, including but not limited to “black book bag”; “pink black and white backpack with skulls, hearts, and crossbones”; “purple HM backpack”)

DIENA
· Diena and Samuel Thompson are estranged and in the process of divorcing.
· Diena has a live-in boyfriend (CPC, who goes by P).
· Diena said she had lunch at her home on October 19 with SAP, a family friend.
· Diena asked SAP to wait until the kids got home from school. (from narrative MPR, but what was he to do after that?)
· Dena texts SAP around 4 p.m., asking how the kids were; SAP replied that Somer had not come home with the other kids.
· Diena leaves work early to search for Somer.
· Diena felt something was wrong this time, and this is why she responded quickly to news of Somer not making it home that day.
· Diena calls her boyfriend, CPC aka P, at about 4:20 p.m., tells him Somer didn’t come home, and asks him to leave work to help search for her.
· Diena stops at OPAA to pick up oldest son AC.
· Diena flags down D/S A. Coan at the corner of Floyd Circle West and Gano, and reports Somer missing.

SAMUEL
· Samuel lives in North Carolina and has not seen Somer in 2 years.
· Samuel came to FL on the Sunday after Somer's disappearance.
· Samuel says soot was found on Somer’s body in NG interview). (Later, he recants that statement through relative on WS because the source of this information, his sister LH, is thought to be unreliable.)

SEAN A. P. (SAP)
· SAP is a close family friend of family.
· SAP is said to have had lunch with Diena at her house on October 19 (in the MPR, he does not state this himself but Diena does).
· SAP is asked to wait at house until kids come home from school. (from MPR narrative; not sure what he was to do after they came home)..
· SAP had not been asked to do this before. This was his first time.
· SAP asks where Somer is when AT and ST arrived around 3:10 p.m.
· SAP sent AT to look for Somer. When she returned about 15 minutes later without her, SAP told her to look again real good before he called Diena.
· SAP gets text from Diena around 4 p.m. asking how the kids were doing; he texts back that Somer did not come home with the other kids and AT is out looking for her.Diena says she will leave work and come look for Somer.
· SAP changed details on his indigo healing website (e.g., specializing in helping indigo adults and children, removed his photo) sometime between October 19 and October 21, 2009. As noted by Cajun Girl and her sleuthing.
SAP opened bank account for donations to Somer’s family, and the account

C. PERRY C.
· CPC is Diena's live-in boyfriend.
· CPC gets call about 4:20 p.m. from Diena who tells him Somer didn’t come home; Diena asks him to leave work to help search for her.
· CPC leaves work and drives to the Horton Drive home; arrives at about 5 p.m.
· CPC picks up ST (twin) at the house about 5 p.m. and goes to search for Somer.

GANO AVENUE HOUSE
· This house caught fire months ago and is being restored.
· Work crews have been at that house.
· VD&B is the contractor working on the house.
· Kyle, who works with the contractor, was there on October 19, and said that Somer came in the yard, told him that he/they were doing a good job on the house, and went back the way she came. (Thanks, MammaD!)
· Kyle is the last person known to see Somer alive.
· There are propane tanks surrounded by a fence about a block the house (toward school).
· J., a minor, was riding his bike home when he saw Somer running around near the tanks and that she he thought she was excited but had a frown on her face.
· OPAA is a park and sporting fields across the street from the house.
· LE searched the house extensively on Thursday and Friday.
· The Gano House was proclaimed a crime scene, as was the search area.

LAW ENFORCEMENT
· LE searched the Gano Avenue house extensively and the men's room at OPAA briefly and came out with a bag.
· An autopsy was performed, and LE knows the cause of death, but that have not released that information.
· Sheriff reports only one person cleared in the investigation into Somer’s death and that is him.
· Investigators made the request / recommendation that Somer's casket be closed.

OTHER PEOPLE
· AB drove Somer to school on October 19.
· AB appeared on TVwith Sheriff Beseler. Don't want video to appear in this post: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/33427923#33427923"]msnbc.com.

· A female neighbor who asked that her name not be reported, upon hearing of Somer’s disappearance, tells LE to check the vacant house on Gano Avenue and its dumpster. After Somer is found in the landfill, she said she wishes she would have checked it herself.

· A (different?) female neighbor, when questioned about the trash pick-up day, made a comment that the trash had already been collected that day so to take that however you want to. A WSer posted that it was the woman who drove Somer to school; that would have been AB. I wasn't sure which video it is at the link provided in the post.

· Houses in the vicinity of the Gano house were searched on Tuesday, October 20. The search literally hit home for schools Superintendent Ben Wortham, who lives about 100 yards from the Gano Drive spot where Somer was last seen. About 2 a.m. Tuesday, his house and many others in the vicinity were “searched from top to bottom,” Wortham said.

GARBAGE
· Bruce Owens, an officer suggests to the sheriff that all trash trucks should be followed and searched so they can isolate the trash coming out of this area, the trash trucks are then followed. (Later reported that Joe Jett gets credit for this.)
· Somer was found dead on October 21 in the Chesser Island Landfill in Fokston, Georgia.
· LE followed the trucks to the Chesser Island Landfill.
· There is at least one video of an interview with Diena that is blacked out-significant portion of interview is missing at the point where DT is recalling something from the day. (Could this just be because it was raw video and they edited out camera man movement?)

RSOs
· There are 161 RSOs that live within 5 miles of Somer’s home.
· CWG’s name and contact info appears on the initial police report (in error as a case of mistaken identity) detailing her disappearance, along with the names of family, neighbors, and others.
· The owner of VD&B has a brother who is an RSO. His name is GCV.
· Since Somer disappeared many RSO’s have been arrested for failing to update their addresses.

UNRELATED BUT YET, RELATED
· What was thought to be an attempted abduction 10 days before Somer's disappearance turned out not to be an attempted abduction and was not related to Somer's disappearance according to LE. Even after LE said there was no connection, reports on blue Nissans poured in to the CCSO.

· A police report in the Clay County Daily indicated that 4 burglary suspects were arrested at the Thompson home. LE later said that the address was in error and gave this explanation: An officer who was at the Thompson home was called to an unrelated burglary call and made the arrest of 4 individuals but when he filed his report, he forgot to change the address. If you check the Clay County Daily for 11/21, you will find the correct information now.

· CWG's name on the MPR was a result of mistaken identity according to LE.

ok folks, I just can't go along that they found Somer on Tuesday instead of Wed, or that they found her somewhere other than the landfill.

Sherriff Woods is talking about Haleigh's case here: "Woods, in Putnam County, said investigators searched the landfill as part of Haleigh's investigation as well. Such searches are routine parts of missing-child and suspected-abduction cases.
"I personally was inside a dumpster, searching that morning," Woods said. The "meticulous" landfill search came a little later, but that's because trash pickup in the area did not occur immediately after Haleigh was reported missing as it did in Somer's case," he said.

I read that as him saying that in Haleigh's case they were personally able to search dumpsters prior to garbage pick up in Haleigh's case because they had more time - the garbage was not picked up as soon as it was in Somer's case.

In Somer's case, LE is clear that very soon after garbage pick up started Tuesday, they assigned LE to started following the trucks as they picked up dumpsters and they followed them to the changing station that day, and then to the landfill. They noted which truck picked up in which part of the neighborhood. They secured the landfill Tuesday night and searched on Wednesday - as each truck dumped its contents. Since they already knew where that truck had picked up - which part of the neighborhood, that gave them an immediate geographic advantage - it's possible that something about the contents surrounding her body could even have been the reason they searched the abandoned house. Maybe they found mail or identifying data about neighbors of the burned out house in close enough proximity to her remains that they thought the burned out house was a good place to process. This could be especially true since they had a guy working AT that house being apparently the last person to see her alive.

If they'd found her body still in the dumpster, still in OP (which I don't believe for a minute), they would have processed the area and there would have been a crime scene and scores of police and media, they may also have transported the entire dumpster to their crime lab like they did with the case of the woman who was found in a dumpster in FL earlier this year. Still that area would be covered with police and crime scene tape.

Also, I believe the paper said that earlier on Wednesday Somer's mother was still asking the abductor to bring her daughter back. Its inconceivable to me that if LE had found a body that appeared to be Somer's on Tuesday, that they would have kept that from the mother overnight. Early Wednesday afternoon, media said she hadn't been found yet and they were monitoring the search at the trash dump. Then when the body was found Wednesday, they took photos of the ME's vehicle at the dump.

The Sherriff says he told the mother about the likelihood of the remains being Somer's at the time they were found, then called her to confirm Wednesday night (note - someone told me that they had confirmed the identity before the autopsy, and I said I couldn't remember, but you're right, reviewing media from then, it looks like this is true): "The sheriff said he had told the girl's mother, Diena Thompson, to prepare for the worst, and called her after receiving the news Wednesday night." http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/dpg_Somer_Thompson_Missing_Fla_Girl_Case_fc_20091022_4166280

I think they found the body when and where they said they did. I don't think they are making it up when they describe being at the landfill and seeing, "a child's lifeless legs," sticking up from the refuse, there, at the landfill. If they'd found her on Tues in a dumpster, there would have been huge police presence at that site, and the crime lab there processing the SITE, even if they took the dumpster to their place for processing.

It makes sense that Equusearch would still be searching Wed morning if they found her later on Wednesday as they said.

I don't see why LE would misinform the public about this.

Very excellent post. Clear, concise and to the point.

I, too, strongly believe that LE is not faking much about the searches. They are paid by the taxpayer and responsible to the taxpayer. They cannot be wasting money and time, nor do they have money to waste or time to waste.

If LE was a private corporation, they could do as they like with money. But the money is not theirs-it is the taxpayers.

I believe that something was found by or on Somer that indicates the Gano house.

I think that if any other move was made by LE, I think that probably reporters would have been on them like flies, looking for a scoop. I, too, believe that they cannot leave a crime scene unsecured and could have hardly done anything without being noticed. I am sure everyone is on high alert and looking for things out of the ordinary.

I hope that we get a report from a local on the ceiling in the OPAA bathroom or anything else that looks like a hiding place, or what????

Any ideas?

Noway, can you add comments by the uncle of girl who walked with Somer? It appears that girl saw Somer past the Gano house, or am I really confused on that?

Very excellent post. Clear, concise and to the point.

I, too, strongly believe that LE is not faking much about the searches. They are paid by the taxpayer and responsible to the taxpayer. They cannot be wasting money and time, nor do they have money to waste or time to waste.

If LE was a private corporation, they could do as they like with money. But the money is not theirs-it is the taxpayers.

I believe that something was found by or on Somer that indicates the Gano house.

I think that if any other move was made by LE, I think that probably reporters would have been on them like flies, looking for a scoop. I, too, believe that they cannot leave a crime scene unsecured and could have hardly done anything without being noticed. I am sure everyone is on high alert and looking for things out of the ordinary.

I hope that we get a report from a local on the ceiling in the OPAA bathroom or anything else that looks like a hiding place, or what????

Any ideas?

If by your comment you mean me, I did not imply that any SEARCH was faked.
Just that you may not have had a camera and reporter on the scene at every one of them. I think there was evidence found at more than one place.
I would also give more credence to what the sheriff said than Tim Miller, but that's just me. I don't know how "in the loop" he would have been.
But, if you are going to all the trouble to put detectives on each truck and search them as they were COLLECTED as the sheriff said in his video, I don't think you would want to take a chance on contamination of evidence or having it separated in transit by changing trucks and adding garbage along the way needlessly. And that is all I have to say.

(Previous reports had not mentioned description of lunchbox; backpack/book bag was described several ways, now believed to be in error, including but not limited to "black book bag" "pink black and white backpack with skulls, hearts, and crossbones" and "Hannah Montana backpack".)

I need to fix the links to some of the entries, including the ones above. If you notice any others missing, let me know.

I'm going to read some bedtime stories and then spending some time with that stranger I call my husband.

I'll be back in the morning.

I'll fix this one too
Noway, can you add comments by the uncle of girl who walked with Somer? It appears that girl saw Somer past the Gano house, or am I really confused on that?

If by your comment you mean me, I did not imply that any SEARCH was faked.
Just that you may not have had a camera and reporter on the scene at every one of them. I think there was evidence found at more than one place.
I would also give more credence to what the sheriff said than Tim Miller, but that's just me. I don't know how "in the loop" he would have been.
But, if you are going to all the trouble to put detectives on each truck and search them as they were COLLECTED as the sheriff said in his video, I don't think you would want to take a chance on contamination of evidence or having it separated in transit by changing trucks and adding garbage along the way needlessly. And that is all I have to say.

Sorry. I was only giving my own thoughts and not referring to anyone's posts and did not intend for it to come off that way, if you thought that. Seriously!

I totally agree with the mixing of the garbage. Makes no sense at all, does it? And if that is the case, why didn't anyone see her when they were switching the garbage at the transfer station?

There is a transfer station close to where I work, and I thought about asking them about garbage, if there is anyone there. I have never seen it and don't know exactly where it is. But since I am far, far away from Florida, I think that I could ask some questions, unless after my questions they will ask my LE to investigate me!

I work really early to really late, but I think on Friday I have some flexible time to check it out. Of course, I think that everyday and stuff happens that I HAVE to deal with.

But I will try and see if I can get any info on garbage. They bring it to a transfer station here as well and ship it to another state, so it might be similar in approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member